Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Porter Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:04 pm

Yikes. Thanks md125 and respectable_man for the confirmation. Are the new seats as uncomfortable as they look?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:44 pm

Truthfully, on a one hour flight, I didn't notice much difference. I hadn't been on Porter since before the pandemic and something looked different but I was focused on work and didn't really notice. Wasn't until the way home that I realized something had changed and then I realized that they replaced all the seats with these crappy ones. That said, for a one hour flight it was fine.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:37 pm

I'm intrigued by the new seats. Might have to book a flight soon to try them out.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
These new seats are SIGNIFICANTLY lighter versus the original seats, so this represents a major fuel saving and also helps with takeoff weight issues departing at YTZ. From a passenger comfort standpoint, it's nowhere near as good in my view versus the old seat.

Personally, i LOVE non-reclining seats in coach. Spirit does that too and it avoids all the fights between passengers with seat reclines. Also, lets not forget the reclining mechanism is very easy to break so this should represent less breakdowns and ultimately more profit for Porter in the long run.

I wonder what type of seats they will use for the new Embraier Jets however... While I can tolerate these new seats for 1-1.5 hour flight, a 4 hour flight to LAX I would need a softer seat.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:24 am

Does anyone know if the priority security benefit from Porter status works at US airports (particularly EWR)? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Robyyz
Does anyone know if the priority security benefit from Porter status works at US airports (particularly EWR)? Thanks in advance.
Nothing at EWR (at least in the mornings) aside from pre-check lite (one line for everyone, pre-check gets a card that lets you keep your shoes on). Security at 6:15AM is reliably 15-20 minutes.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by nli007
These new seats are SIGNIFICANTLY lighter versus the original seats, so this represents a major fuel saving and also helps with takeoff weight issues departing at YTZ. From a passenger comfort standpoint, it's nowhere near as good in my view versus the old seat.

Personally, i LOVE non-reclining seats in coach. Spirit does that too and it avoids all the fights between passengers with seat reclines. Also, lets not forget the reclining mechanism is very easy to break so this should represent less breakdowns and ultimately more profit for Porter in the long run.

I wonder what type of seats they will use for the new Embraier Jets however... While I can tolerate these new seats for 1-1.5 hour flight, a 4 hour flight to LAX I would need a softer seat.
New seats suck from a backside perspective! they were... marginally serviceable for YTZ-BOS, but it was definitely unpleasant. I'd think for the bread and butter YUL runs its ok but for the 2+ hour stages it would be mighty uncomfortable.

I do wonder what they are planning wtih the 195E2's which allegedly are on property soon... I want YYZ-SNA its on my wishlist but not at those discomfort levels.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I am thinking of flying Porter to Bishops from Moncton and then have a late night connecting flight from YYZ. How reliable are Porter and what happens if they cancel the flight? Would they book me on an AC flight? The fare difference is more than double with AC.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Porter Airlines building two new hangars at Ottawa airport to 'maintain' growing fleet
Old Dec 1, 2022, 10:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by md125
Nothing at EWR (at least in the mornings) aside from pre-check lite (one line for everyone, pre-check gets a card that lets you keep your shoes on). Security at 6:15AM is reliably 15-20 minutes.
According to this https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule, there's no Pre at all at the Porter pier (B2).
Old Dec 3, 2022, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
According to this https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule, there's no Pre at all at the Porter pier (B2).
While there is no pre-check lane, if you have pre-check you get a card allowing you to keep your shoes on etc.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Porter have announced details of their new E195-E2 passenger experience.

Interestingly, they have chosen a European-style experience, with a plussed Economy class featuring more leg room, meals, and other perks, rather than a separate Premium/Business class.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by V1213
Porter have announced details of their new E195-E2 passenger experience.

Interestingly, they have chosen a European-style experience, with a plussed Economy class featuring more leg room, meals, and other perks, rather than a separate Premium/Business class.
I think this makes sense- this was WestJet's approach initially as well.
This makes sense to me for a number of reasons:

1) PD doesn't have airport lounges or reciprocal lounge access benefits like alliance carriers. Therefore, the J-class product would feel diluted without lounge access.
2) More seats = more revenue potential. Similar to above, since PD is not part of an alliance they are unlikely to capture the highest-yielding premium passengers but have a good chance at capturing business from people willing to pay a bit more for a nicer experience. Big difference in paying $250 extra vs $2,000 for J.
3) The E-jets are likely to be operated in a way similar to how Breeze Airways is setup, without one single fortress hub. They'll identify lucrative markets from various cities (YHZ, YUL, YYZ initially) and offer services from there. I am certain we will see them expand the offering west as the fleet grows, but I doubt we will see them hub the jets at one specific airport.
4) The E2's have long legs, the entire continent is within range of these jets. I'm sure we will see them developing both premium business and leisure destinations. Places like Phoenix, Palm Springs, Las Vegas, Miami, Cancun, etc..

Good luck to Porter!
Heffeh41 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
The website appears to have died but, after last night's overhaul, it now has full details of PorterReserve and the 195-E2s.

It also says that the first longer 195 routes will be YVR to YYZ, YOW, and YUL.

Initial E2 operations are detailed at Aeroroutes.

Last edited by V1213; Dec 8, 2022 at 9:21 am
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by V1213
The website appears to have died but, after last night's overhaul, it now has full details of PorterReserve and the 195-E2s.

It also says that the first longer 195 routes will be YVR to YYZ, YOW, and YUL.

Initial E2 operations are detailed at Aeroroutes.

Add YEG to the destinations served by the 195-E2's

and following Dash-8 routes just announced: YOW > YQT/YQB/BOS/EWR
V1213 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.