Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Flying within Brazil - pricing depends on where ticket issued?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2005, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold

I'm looking at buying a round trip from GIG to IGU over the summer (my travel to Brazil will be on an award ticket from BRU). I've noticed a significant difference between pricing dependiong on where the ticket is issued. This confuses me, because IATA recently removed the distinction between tickets issued inside and outside the country where travel begins (SITI/SOTO etc).

I have been looking at the Varig website, and notice that it allows me to select a country of origin (i.e. I can choose "Brazil" even if booking on the UK website). If I give my Brazilian colleague's address as a contact point (which is a genuine contact point), are RG likely to object to me buying at Brazilian prices over their website? I would guess not, but am interested to check.

My alternative is to buy a Brazil Air Pass for the trip, and maybe use the extra sectors to go somewhere else. Does anyone know which booking class this is issued in (I have seen some sites saying it is booked in Q, and others in L). This makes a real difference in the miles earned in my mileage programmes (LH and BD) for any flights taken.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by House
I'm looking at buying a round trip from GIG to IGU over the summer (my travel to Brazil will be on an award ticket from BRU). I've noticed a significant difference between pricing dependiong on where the ticket is issued. This confuses me, because IATA recently removed the distinction between tickets issued inside and outside the country where travel begins (SITI/SOTO etc).

I have been looking at the Varig website, and notice that it allows me to select a country of origin (i.e. I can choose "Brazil" even if booking on the UK website). If I give my Brazilian colleague's address as a contact point (which is a genuine contact point), are RG likely to object to me buying at Brazilian prices over their website? I would guess not, but am interested to check.
Hey, just got back from South America and flew GIG to IGU! This is a nasty little habit shared by many South American airlines. We actually took Gol (LCC) which unfortunately is two stops from Rio: leave from Santos Dumont SDU to Sao Paolo CGH (SDU is closer to the city than GIG), stop in Curitiba CWB). It wasn't too bad, and the stop in CWB is a stop, not a connection. Offload the plane, bring on a new load and take off. It was around US$140 for a oneway. I believe their only flight is in the evening (which we preferred since you can use the whole next day whereas the Varig/TAM non-stop arrives around noon). They charge the same for Brazilians and non-Brazilians, fly new 737s. They only take Amex for foreign transactions.

If you buy through a Brazilian travel agent, you're probably OK with Varig tickets. There have been some reports of people being caught at the airport and having to pay the fare difference. If your Brazilian friend wants to buy the ticket for you, that's probably OK too. I'm guessing if you use your friend's address and your credit card, that won't fly since you won't have a Brazil credit card.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:37 pm

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I believe you need a Brazilian taxpayer identification number, ID card or resident alien card in order to qualify for the Brazilian fares.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:36 pm

I know when I am in country and buy the ticket no one asks me if I am a Brazilian resident when I buy. Can you give a specific example of this price difference?
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I just spent two months in Brazil and used my UA MP miles to book business class open jaw Rio-Fortaleza and Salvador-Rio for only 30K miles. Cheapest economy ticket would have cost around $600.

So if you have miles why not use them?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:15 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
brazil options

i've been to brazil 6 times in the last 4 years, and start trip #7 on friday night.

On my first trip i used miles from iad to rio, then bought an air pass to see the rest of the country

i got smarter on trip 2
i flew from iad to salvador
took a $35 Gol flight to recife
then came back to iad from recife with a 3 day stop over in sao paulo

there are now at least 3 discount airlines, although Gol is the only one I have flown, The others don't offer daily service to a wide number of cities, so i havent tried them.

up until recently, you could not order Gol tickets outside of Bazil
but now they have added that option for amex card holders

i did notice that there is a significant price difference between Varig and Gol, so much so that, at least for me, the value of the FFM was much less than the price difference

if you can preplan, and your award travel is on an airline with a brazilian partner, you can cut your costs by using an open jaw with a stop over, that allows you to visit 3 cities and then you must pay for one connection between 2 of those cities

if you are a spur of the moment traveler, if you start in rio or sp, you can have access to the cities served by 3 of the brazilian low cost carriers.

for instance i will be in rio for at least 2 days, but the flights to curbita are $65 one way on Gol, so i may visit there for a few days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.