Anyone notice Varig is using TAM for flights?

Old Feb 10, 05, 7:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Anyone notice Varig is using TAM for flights?

Is this because of their code share because of the proposed merger (that went south)? I was looking at a couple of in-country flights and I noticed some Varig flights were on a partner airline (TAM).

I've never flown Varig, but the prices I am seeing for Brazil right now (orbitz, travelocity, etc..., etc..., etc...) cost over a $1200 for a MCI-GIG-MCI flight... but I want to have a layover in REC as well.

Can't use the budget engines for a multi-flight, so I forced to the orbitz, travelocity, etc.. sites.

Looks like I can pickup a Varig flight (direct from Varig) from (VARIG)MIA-GRU-(TAM)REC then (TAM)REC-GIG, then (VARIG)GIG-MIA for around $620. Then I would only have to pickup a MCI-MIA flight for around $200.

Total out the door would be around $820. So for 2 tickets (wife and I) it will save around $760.

What do you guys think?
Old Feb 11, 05, 2:51 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
I noticed some Varig flights were on a partner airline (TAM).

This is because of their code-share, nothing more. Some domestic TAM flights are also operated by Varig.

Looks like I can pickup a Varig flight (direct from Varig) from (VARIG)MIA-GRU-(TAM)REC then (TAM)REC-GIG, then (VARIG)GIG-MIA for around $620. Then I would only have to pickup a MCI-MIA flight for around $200.Total out the door would be around $820. What do you guys think?

This looks an excellent deal! GRU-REC is a 3h flight, and because of RG-JJ codeshare you will manage to fly with TAM on a RG ticket.

Btw, where is MCI??? Do you mean Maceio, MCZ?

You may also try to book your domestic ticket in Brazil with low-fare ailrine GOL:

http://www.voegol.com.br/index_ie.asp

[you can only buy tickets from a foreign country with AA]

Rgs,
Old Feb 11, 05, 9:21 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Beware, FTers have claimed that RG won't issue miles to alien *A programs for their flights under JJ metal, even when the swap has been a last minute one at the gate without the passenger's knowledge.

Completely unfair - but that's Varig and its disrespect towards passengers.

Good news is that in next few months they won't be allowed to continue with this practice anymore.
Old Feb 12, 05, 5:42 am

Programs: EBG, MM, FB, AV Amigos, JJ Fidelidade
just to add some info (u might already know it):
If u have an international flight into brazil and going to other destinations inside Brazil - try out this - might save you some $$$$
http://www.tam.com.br/b2c/jsp/defaul...3&adArtigo=826
http://www.varig.co.uk/english/pops/pop_brairpass.htm
Note that Varig demand u to have the international flight into Brazil with any member of StarAlliance. TAM do not have any demands.
U must get this pass before u go to Brazil..
But as I said - U might already know this :-)

Torgeir
Old Feb 16, 05, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Premier
In January I flew on a Varig flight that was operated by TAM and still was awarded Aeroplan miles. I didn't think that they would give me the miles, but I was pleasantly surprised when they did!
Old Feb 17, 05, 4:31 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
I always got my RG miles, even flying with JJ. You can fly JJ under a RG code, and you always get the miles. No problem.

RG-JJ codeshare flights is expected to finish by end-May, including flights to EZE and ASU.

Rgs,

Search this Thread
Search Engine: