Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Brazi. flight - Azul Latam or Gol?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Domestic Brazi. flight - Azul Latam or Gol?

Hi everyone,

I need to book a one way trip between Rio and Sao Paulo for next months and have a few questions:

1) will be staying in the Copacabana area in Rio and Paulista/Downtown in Sao Paulo, am I correct that the most convenient choice is SDU-CGH?
2) I have a choice of flying Azul, Latam or Gol with similar prices and timings (Gol slightly less choice I think), do people recommend one over the others?
3) If I go to the airline's own websites they give me prices in EUR/USD. Are those the normal prices or is it cheaper to find a way to book locally and if so do people recommend a particular channel? (the price I get is about $100 for the cheapest option or just under $120 with checked luggage) [PS: I saw that there is a thread on where to buy for GOL but my question is a bit different as I can buy Latam/Azul direct easily, I just don't know if it is the right thing to buy on those international websites versions]

Many thanks!

Many thanks in advance!
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Yes, SDU-CGH is what you want for Copacabana to downtown SP. It is a short flight, go with what is cheapest. I know with Azul, and likely with LATAM and GOL you can set the web site for local access and do the price comparisons. You could also try www.decolar.com, which will show you all three simultaneously. You can also chose Brasil or US site here as well.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks! To be honest, the prices look perfectly aligned! (though I'll check Latam when I select Brazil to see if it changes. Azul lets me select currency and language but Portuguese and Reals makes no difference) If there is really nothing in between them, I might try Azul just because I quite like the Embraer aircrafts with only one person between me and the aisle but that's just because I have no particular reason to pick one or another!
Old Aug 11, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Thanks! To be honest, the prices look perfectly aligned! (though I'll check Latam when I select Brazil to see if it changes. Azul lets me select currency and language but Portuguese and Reals makes no difference) If there is really nothing in between them, I might try Azul just because I quite like the Embraer aircrafts with only one person between me and the aisle but that's just because I have no particular reason to pick one or another!
If aircraft type makes any difference, Azul also flies the A320s, as does LATAM. GOL is normally the Boeing 737. Recently I have been using Azul and LATAM. I like LATAM for a couple of reasons, one being a direct flight between GRU and VIX, while Azul makes a connection. The other is the Premium economy for LATAM blocks the middle seat.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 4:11 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
My experience of domestic in Brazil is there isn't much difference between them. Unless there is some status perk that is useful to you (e.g. free baggage) then pick the one with the best schedule/price that matches your needs
jamiel and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1) Yes.

2) I've had good experiences with GOL, including recognition as a partner elite. Just don't expect much on board. My first row (bulkhead) seat had tons of legroom.

3) Some countries in Latin American have special airfares only for citizens and permanent residents. There should be a discussion of this in the Brazil destination forum, including exactly what's needed to be eligible to use them, which apparently varies by country.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: TP Gold; IB Oro; G3 Diamond; AD Diamond; LA Plat.; HH Diamond; IHG Diam Amb; Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

2) I've had good experiences with GOL, including recognition as a partner elite. Just don't expect much on board. My first row (bulkhead) seat had tons of legroom.
In broad terms (need to check FF site for details):

UA elite has perks with Azul
AA elite has perks with Gol
DL elite has perks with Latam.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

3) Some countries in Latin American have special airfares only for citizens and permanent residents. There should be a discussion of this in the Brazil destination forum, including exactly what's needed to be eligible to use them, which apparently varies by country.
Not in Brazil, though.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:11 am

Just a quick comment on different prices for residents... I am not sure about internal flights in Brazil, but for international flights between North and South America, LATAM sometimes has different prices whether you are physically located in South America at the time of purchase versus elsewhere. Google Flights shows these local prices, but you can't book them if not in South America. If you are in the US, for example, just changing to the LATAM Brazil or Chile websites won't do it - you need either purchase from local third parties (such as decolar) or perhaps VPN to get access to those prices.
davidd418 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackheath
In broad terms (need to check FF site for details):

UA elite has perks with Azul
AA elite has perks with Gol
DL elite has perks with Latam.
thanks! Sadly my only meaningful FFPs are AF and BA now so I don’t think I’d get perks on anyone though getting a (mini) handful of miles/avios on Gol and LATAM respectively!

quick added question: when buying the slightly pricier luggage inclusive fare on Azul it mentions the possibility to take an earlier flight if I arrive early at the airport. Could anyone confirm if the LATAM similar luggage inclusive fare also allows this? Thanks!

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 17, 2022 at 3:52 am
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Apologies - and another quick question - is LATAM Premium Economy worth the (tiny) difference? Is it only the middle seat blocked or does it actually offer some service (there is only $10 difference so very small indeed)
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:35 pm

Apologies - and another quick question - is LATAM Premium Economy worth the (tiny) difference? Is it only the middle seat blocked or does it actually offer some service (there is only $10 difference so very small indeed)
On the flights I have flown in Premium economy on LATAM, they provided some basic service, like drink and snacks. I don't think this was provided outside of Premium Economy, but not entirely sure. In addition to middle seat blocked, the pitch is greater.

Another thing I have noticed on both LATAM and Azul, and perhaps GOL as well, is that they deboard by rows, usually 3 at a time. No longer do people jump up and try to push their way to the front. So, in the Premium Economy seats you will be off the plane earlier should you have a tight connection.

Normally I obtain the domestic flight as part of the international trip, but in one instance I did purchase LATAM Premium Economy separately. There were two options for Premium Economy, one having greater luggage allowance at a higher price.

Also, at GRU, Premium Economy passengers use the Premium check-in counters. So, I would image the same for the domestic airports if they exist there.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Decided to go for LATAM pe in the end hoping it will prove a good choice! Given the lack of price/fare advantage for any option I thought this might be the more appealing of the lot with row 1 and blocked middle seat anyway…
qfrodo likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:18 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Decided to go for LATAM pe in the end hoping it will prove a good choice! Given the lack of price/fare advantage for any option I thought this might be the more appealing of the lot with row 1 and blocked middle seat anyway…
Then I am too late with my response, but GOL has relationship with AF. Not sure if you would get any perks or only miles.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 6:08 pm
Suspended

The differences in domestic flights among airlines within Brazil are really just minimum. Most flights are well under 2 hours, so I am not sure why bothering with the comparison. I would go with whichever fits your time schedule, price or loyalty program.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mama
The differences in domestic flights among airlines within Brazil are really just minimum. Most flights are well under 2 hours, so I am not sure why bothering with the comparison. I would go with whichever fits your time schedule, price or loyalty program.
because they all had the same schedules and prices and I have no loyalty perks with any (and equivalent miles with gol and LATAM) so it’s not unnatural for someone having only ever flown one of those three to ask if any was better than the others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.