Community
Wiki Posts
Search

**** Show International Transit in MEX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:14 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by MarkCron
I am pretty sure my last trip to Mexico I filled out immigration from online before flying.
I did fill out the online form - but when I printed it out it was on two separate pages - immigration officer said that this printout is not valid. both pages need to be on the same paper - so I would have needed to print out the two pages on the same piece of paper. first page on the front, second page on the back.
MarkCron likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
I did fill out the online form - but when I printed it out it was on two separate pages - immigration officer said that this printout is not valid. both pages need to be on the same paper - so I would have needed to print out the two pages on the same piece of paper. first page on the front, second page on the back.
Thank you. I will do this for my flights in 3 weeks.
And I will also fill out a form manually on the airplane as backup
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I did not get an explanation but apparently that is why ours were not accepted when we arrived. It makes sense but there is another thread on the airport that people say NOT to print out one page.......
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron
I am pretty sure my last trip to Mexico I filled out immigration from online before flying.
Interesting, no link was provided to me by Am and I checked in online for my flights.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTraveler
Interesting, no link was provided to me by Am and I checked in online for my flights.
It is not something that the airline would provide (at least in my experience) as it is Mexican Immigration thing. https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:43 am

Hmmm, maybe it's because we were transiting on Christmas Day, but there didn't seem to be a priority lane. There was a desk sing posted with "Airline Crew/Diplomats." Is that the priority line?

I saw this happen only once during my two hours in line. Part of the issue is that it was Christmas Day and I think many immigration officers were on leave, so the Mexican citizens line was also full 90% of the time. The one time it was empty the allowed about 15-20 people into the Mexican Nationals line and from that point on, there was always a line even for Mexican Nationals.

I would not go that far. Aeromexico has many advantages. It's entire widebody fleet is 787s. No ancient widebodies that all the big 3 USA carriers fly. It has a high proportion of modern 737-MAX aircraft and I was impressed by the one I flew on. They didn't go with OASIS interiors like say AA on their narrowbodies which means seat back displays, no mini-restrooms, and decent pitch even on a regular economy seat (business was sold out so our choice was a row of regular economy to ourselves or split single premium economy seats). Their soft product was pretty darn good. Their flight attendants English is better than the vast majority of airlines not based in native English speaking countries. Their amenity kit blew away the "Flagship Business" amenity kit I got on AA on the way to Chile. They served not one but two tasty FULL hot meals on a 8 hour flight between SCL and MEX. Could their flight attendants be more friendly, yes. Customer service in general sucked, and transit sucked but the latter was on the Mexican government. If Aeromexico could only fix the transit issue, they could go from average to above average. Fixing the customer service issue could make them good or even great with their modern fleet.
AM is very uneven, but lack of good service seems to be more common than not. The “modern” 737 has almost no recline in last row of clase premier. Y seats are ok but nothing special. FAs seem to be fine but not friendly or proactive. And service is very uneven. Took 787 long haul and half the J seats had pillows, blankets and amenity kits and half didn’t. When I asked to get them I was just told they don’t do it - pointed out that other side had them and FA just shrugged. In flight manager told me same thing that they don’t do it for this flight and didn’t care that some people had them.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I use the online FMM all the time and this is never an issue. Half the page is entry, half is exit. They reawd off the entry and give you back the exit. That is how the online form is designed.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Arrival on 2 Jan - you needed the "real" form. Escalators were off as to not kill people because within a couple of minutes after I walked down the stairs, the line was past the top of the stairs. As this is the only country in the world without any entrance requirements except an online "I'm not sick" form that no one verifies, arrivals is one huge superspreader event. My baggage carousel had 4 flights of luggage. Customs line went way back to the entrance to the separated carousel. At least the immigration line moved fairly quickly (under 45 minutes), only to wait and wait for luggage.

Departure on 6 Jan - 90 minutes to get to a Elite/J check in agent. Total quilombo. Arrival 4 hours before flight - had 40 minutes lounge time for gate arrival 60 minutes pre-departure. Many didn't have proper docs to USA (probably connecting). Pre-departure email from AM still shows 72 Hour covid test - not day prior. 6:45p gate arrival for 7:45 flight - first announcement probably around 8-something, and boarded at 9pm.

Crew was miserable. Initial wine pour was maybe 75ml. I asked for more when he was clearing trays, and greeted with a scowl, but he obliged with another tiny pour. No view of FAs again until I rang the call bell about 3 hours into the flight for some water. You'd have thought I just killed his first born child. Otherwise, absolutely no service after the meal.
mcgahat, Mama and olouie like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 7:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Arrival on 2 Jan - you needed the "real" form. Escalators were off as to not kill people because within a couple of minutes after I walked down the stairs, the line was past the top of the stairs. As this is the only country in the world without any entrance requirements except an online "I'm not sick" form that no one verifies, arrivals is one huge superspreader event. My baggage carousel had 4 flights of luggage. Customs line went way back to the entrance to the separated carousel. At least the immigration line moved fairly quickly (under 45 minutes), only to wait and wait for luggage.

Departure on 6 Jan - 90 minutes to get to a Elite/J check in agent. Total quilombo. Arrival 4 hours before flight - had 40 minutes lounge time for gate arrival 60 minutes pre-departure. Many didn't have proper docs to USA (probably connecting). Pre-departure email from AM still shows 72 Hour covid test - not day prior. 6:45p gate arrival for 7:45 flight - first announcement probably around 8-something, and boarded at 9pm.

Crew was miserable. Initial wine pour was maybe 75ml. I asked for more when he was clearing trays, and greeted with a scowl, but he obliged with another tiny pour. No view of FAs again until I rang the call bell about 3 hours into the flight for some water. You'd have thought I just killed his first born child. Otherwise, absolutely no service after the meal.
This is hilarious. I am so glad I don't fly AM, and not pursuing any status with any airlines any more.

Last edited by Mama; Jan 9, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Arrival Experience and Question about FMM form departing MEX

MEX arrivals is indeed a three-hour affair for those arriving on early morning flights from South America. In the afternoon, there is not much of a wait.
There is a lot of good advice up-thread. The only thing I can add is "Arrive with carry-on luggage only." I'd rather do daily clothes washing in my hotel bathroom sink than checking luggage.

When arriving into MEX from South America, I found it easy to fill out the "real" FMM form while waiting in line. I just have to remember to bring a pen. I either get the form on-board the arriving plane, or ask my wife to go fetch a couple while I hold our place in line.

On my out-bound through MEX, I arrive on a domestic AM flight from TIJ. I get the FMM form passing through the land bridge into Tijuana airport from USA. The immigration officer stamps the entry form, and it is (or was) collected at the boarding gate at MEX from my flight to Quito.

On my last trip in May, there was no Mexican immigration officer on the TIJ airport land bridge, and no one asked for the form at the boarding gate in MEX airport. Is this a change for people transiting MEX? It used to be if you lost the exit form, you had to exit out through immigration at MEX and re-enter just to get the FMM to board your flight.
MarkCron likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:37 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
I recall this in the summary email you receive after you complete payment (maybe it changed since last time)

I fill it online and then print it , so it saves me few minutes of time
Old Jan 14, 2022, 1:12 am

Thank you for the heads up. I'm trying to plan a trip for next month to Zacatecas with a transfer in Mex. Hopefully if I'm able to go staying over night in Mex with work to my favor.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:35 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Flying to MEX from US for a 2 hour layover before flying to Cabo.

These recent posts are really making it seem like I will miss my connecting flight because 2 hours won't be enough in Mexico to transit. I will only have a carry-on bag. Can someone let me know if I will still run into this immigration mess?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Gertjaars

These recent posts are really making it seem like I will miss my connecting flight because 2 hours won't be enough in Mexico to transit. I will only have a carry-on bag. Can someone let me know if I will still run into this immigration mess?
If you have a carry on I think you'll be fine. Not a transfer but last month when I came to cdmx I waited an hour for my luggage and then had to go through bag inspection. You'll still need to go through immigration. I've never had a long wait for my papers inspection but then again I nearly sprint and knock people out of my way. Jk about knocking people out of my way but I don't dilly dally on my way.
Gertjaars likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gertjaars

What time do you arrive in MEX? In the late morning or afternoon, you should be fine. The main rush is in the early morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.