Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeromexico carry on limit 10kg for all classes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Aeromexico carry on limit 10kg for all classes

This took me by surprise, AM changed its carry on policy so that the combined weight of carry on and personal items must be below 10kg, even for clase premier. That’s quite a downgrade from last year of 18kg for clase premier.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:38 pm

Seems like an unintended consequence of Mexico's consumer regulator (PROFECO)
requiring Mexican airlines to allow all domestic passengers to bring a carryon item up to 10 Kg without charge.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Combing this with the absolute chaos that is MEX transit and I remember why I only fly AM once every few years.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 12:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by olouie
Combing this with the absolute chaos that is MEX transit and I remember why I only fly AM once every few years.
No worries, plenty of flyertalkers intentionally fly on AM and taking the detour U.S.-MEX-EU, just for the sake of obtaining miles and elite status.
AM : No overseas ticketing from US?
laptoptravel and RFNJ like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mama
No worries, plenty of flyertalkers intentionally fly on AM and taking the detour U.S.-MEX-EU, just for the sake of obtaining miles and elite status.
AM : No overseas ticketing from US?
Sure but the airline is a big mess. I’ve always thought they could do well with their routes but between the lack of service and mex city airport it’s not going to happen. I thought mex was getting a new airport but haven’t heard anything positive on that front in a while.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-restructuring
Old Dec 26, 2021, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Sure but the airline is a big mess. I’ve always thought they could do well with their routes but between the lack of service and mex city airport it’s not going to happen.
So my recent trip on them SCL-MEX-JFK was a **** show transit in MEX. However, the flights and aircraft blow what I've seen from American carriers away. The SCL-MEX flight was on a older 787-8, but it had the bathroom with a window and touchless toilet flushing. The amenity kit was better than the stuff the legacy big 3 give you and the plane was cleaner than the dirty planes those same big 3 operate. And on a 8.5 hour flight they served two very tasty HOT meals. I was booked 787-8 to JFK but with a miscconect reassigned to a later 737-MAX8 flight. New plane, very nice interior. No minature lavatories like AA 737-MAX, seatback screens, and even in regular economy the legroom was decent. Free hot meal on a 4.5 hour flight in economy. AA can't even serve you a hot meal in economy on 737s as they have no ovens.
DCAhome likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ArlingtonTraveler
So my recent trip on them SCL-MEX-JFK was a **** show transit in MEX. However, the flights and aircraft blow what I've seen from American carriers away. The SCL-MEX flight was on a older 787-8, but it had the bathroom with a window and touchless toilet flushing. The amenity kit was better than the stuff the legacy big 3 give you and the plane was cleaner than the dirty planes those same big 3 operate. And on a 8.5 hour flight they served two very tasty HOT meals. I was booked 787-8 to JFK but with a miscconect reassigned to a later 737-MAX8 flight. New plane, very nice interior. No minature lavatories like AA 737-MAX, seatback screens, and even in regular economy the legroom was decent. Free hot meal on a 4.5 hour flight in economy. AA can't even serve you a hot meal in economy on 737s as they have no ovens.
Good to hear. Did MEX-SCL back in 2017 on the 787 and food and service were terrible. Food is a lot better now but service still meh.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:36 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Is AM really weighing carry-on bags at check-in desk / gate? What happens if your carry on bag is over 10kg and you don't have a checked bag?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Is AM really weighing carry-on bags at check-in desk / gate? What happens if your carry on bag is over 10kg and you don't have a checked bag?
You can bring a foldable duffle bag, and put the overweight stuff in it to check at the counter (may need to pay for the check bag).
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:41 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
The checked bag would be free for me as a SkyTeam Elite+ member. I just didn't want a checkin bag so I could clear my transit quicker with only a carryon. But this sounds like the other American Low Cost Carriers where they weigh your carryon bag before allowing you to board. :s
Originally Posted by Mama
You can bring a foldable duffle bag, and put the overweight stuff in it to check at the counter (may need to pay for the check bag).
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Any recent experiences at BOG or MEX Clase Premier? Do they really make you check over 10kg?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:30 am
Suspended

I wouldn't risk it. When an airline put out a rule, they are entitled to enforce it. I always make sure to follow airline's rule, or be prepared with a backup plan (such as a spare duffle bag for check in)
jjbiv likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:31 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Thank you, but I’m asking for actual experiences. We all know airlines have many, many rules and often they are not enforced.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:29 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Thank you, but I’m asking for actual experiences. We all know airlines have many, many rules and often they are not enforced.
The main problem is that such approach is gambling

Yes there are rules which are not often enforced , BUT , as Mama said , you should be ready for the day when one rule will be applied to you only , cause you are out of luck .

I often see checks of the 10kgs limit at check-in desk , even if i dont have checked luggages , the AM agent just ask to verify , and iam usually under 10kgs , so no worries (but i know i will buy items at duty free)
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
On my most recent MEX departure a couple weeks ago, when the check-in area was a complete poopoodoodookaka show and many check-ins were taking 15 to 20 minutes (as I waited the better part of two hours not moving much in line), it didn't look like the agents were paying much attention.

That said, in my AM experience over the past several years (all pre-COVID), the odds are better than not that a check-in agent will ask to see the carry-on and weigh it, and gate agents may be checking around the gate area, and sometimes, while boarding, the agent will take a close look and size/weigh it at the gate.

Also, at one point (although it doesn't seem to be the current case, but you never know when it might reappear) that no one was getting through the MEX T2 security checkpoint without having their hand luggage tagged as permitted.

All of my AM experience has been in premium cabin flying - so while the permitted weight might have been higher, it didn't stop them from enforcing the rules du jour.
Buster CT1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.