Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Péladeau abandons effort to buy Transat

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2021, 9:13 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Péladeau abandons effort to buy Transat

From the Globe and Mail (subscription may be required to read the full article):

Quebec media magnate Pierre Karl Péladeau is abandoning his effort to buy Transat AT, increasing the odds the Canadian travel company will now go it alone as it tries to rebuild its decimated business in the months ahead.

Mr. Péladeau, chief executive and controlling shareholder of Quebecor Inc., is walking away after a disagreement with Transat’s main shareholder, Letko Brosseau and Associates, over the travel company’s valuation. Letko believes Transat is worth more than $5 per share and Mr. Péladeau does not, he told Quebecor’s tabloid Journal de Montréal newspaper Thursday.

It's not clear he was ever serious about buying TS in the first place (I certainly didn't believe he was), so this isn't really a surprise.

But with the federal bailout in place, TS probably has a decent amount of running room.
Old May 19, 2021, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It's not clear he was ever serious about buying TS in the first place (I certainly didn't believe he was), so this isn't really a surprise.
I wondered with his very late bid announcement after the TS/AC deal was done was for real or meant to chum the financial and political waters hoping for a bite at some kind of deal of his own. Even after the AC deal fell apart he again expressed his resolve but seems that was just hot air.

But with the federal bailout in place, TS probably has a decent amount of running room.
Yes, and provided we don't experience any more incoming waves this coming Winter season there should be a record demand for charter sunspot packages from Canada which will help lift TS' fortunes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.