How to handle snow storm connection

Old Dec 14, 20, 6:40 am
Original Poster

How to handle snow storm connection

Storm coming wed to thurs. I have spirit thursday 3pm cun to fll then connect to phl. If phl isn't plowed open or even if they are i anticipate delays. Will they at least get me to sunny Florida so i can get a hotel? Pretty sure answer is yes but wanted to be sure

Im thinking about booking early friday american or spirit flight for a few bucks as insurance so if i lose that its no biggie. Ill just pay inflated checked bag price when i check in if need be. How does this idea sound. I never had the situation before but my thinking is that if I have something booked that I will have priority over everybody that get bumped on Thursday. I am assuming that a previously booked passenger has priority over somebody that is bumped. Is that correct
Old Dec 14, 20, 7:57 am

Programs: American, Spirit, Air Niugini
So many less aeroplanes and flights right now, I'm not sure how to anticipate how winter weather disrupts the flights.

FLL is the major Spirit international HUB, so PHL is an outstation. Sounds like you're in a pickle.

I'd think you're 50/50.
Old Dec 14, 20, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
So are you currently flying CUN-FLL-PHL all on NK or are you flying CUN-FLL on NK and FLL-PHL on AA?
Old Dec 14, 20, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I am on Spirit the entire way but I see American also has cheap flights that I can book as a backup.
Old Dec 14, 20, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Sounds like you have nothing to lose other than potentially the cost of your back up ticket which as you say is insurance.. If Spirit manages to get you to PHL to your satisfaction on the original ticket then presumably you can get a refund or credit for the backup ticket so long as you cancel prior to the flight time. If you end up using your back up ticket there is unlikely to be a refund of anything worthwhile on your original ticket.

If they do end up rebooking you, and the flight they put you on is the same one as your insurance flight you will need to let them know and have them cancel your insurance ticket. Otherwise you may have a few complications there with a double booking and up with nothing.

If this is the outbound segment of a round trip and you do use your backup ticket make sure you tell Spirit that you will make your own way to PHL so that they do not cancel the return segment which they will if you are a no show for the FLL-PHL segment.
Old Dec 14, 20, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I would plan to fly at least as far as FLL and then if necessary overnight there and carry on the next day. I don't think it's worth booking a whole separate ticket because you'll likely be able to book a hotel cheaper in FLL than that. Plus, by the time you get to FLL if things really go tits-up in PHL, you have far more options to get there (FLL, PBI, MIA, etc.).
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 10:47 am
Original Poster

My main question about all this is if they do book me the next day does that absolutely mean I get on that plane. That's the reason why I wanted to buy the separate ticket so that I have priority over the person that got bumped from the day before in this. case that person is me

also if the Thursday night flight is cancelled will I entitled to a full refund for that plus all the baggage since they cancel it. I read on the Department of Transportation website a substantial delayed seems to say yes
Old Dec 14, 20, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
If they book you on the flight then absent any other additional extenuating circumstances then you will get on. However your possible issue is that they will have a method for prioritizing who gets rebooked first (usually a mix of frequent flyers status and what you paid for your ticket - the higher the better in both cases). Depending upon where you fit on that list and how busy the flight was anyway you may or may not get allocated a seat.

If the Thursday flight is cancelled I doubt you will get a refund since the airline contract is to get you from A to B. There is no requirement to get you there at a set date or time. Not fair but it is what it is. If you cancel your trip in CUN you will likely have better luck on a refund,
Old Dec 14, 20, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold
You'll probably get to FLL with no problem. With snow in the Northeast the main culprit to delays and cancellations is ATC not being able to handle the traffic. With so many less flights running during these times though, it may not be a huge issue. Spirit has 3 flights a day between FLL and PHL on Friday, so I wouldn't even bother buying an AA ticket. I can't imagine them being oversold if your original flight gets cancelled. Without change fees on AA, you certain can buy a backup ticket if you don't mind having that money tied up for a future AA trip though.
Old Dec 14, 20, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Mods: this probably belongs in the NK forum rather than the AA forum.
ISTFlyer and dls25 like this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
On the flights you are actually booked on, you will have priority of those standing by from canceled flights.
It makes little sense for an airline to pay you to be involuntarily bumped when there is no penalty with the standby passengers who had a flight canceled due to weather
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
On the flights you are actually booked on, you will have priority of those standing by from canceled flights.
It makes little sense for an airline to pay you to be involuntarily bumped when there is no penalty with the standby passengers who had a flight canceled due to weather
This indeed would mean it pays me to spend 50 for the insurance. Actually i do have insurance for my trip. I should call and see what could be covered
Old Dec 14, 20, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I'm going to suggest that you pack something legal in your personal item that can be used as a weapon if needed. Irops situations like snowstorms are when Spirit passengers start acting out. Many of them are too poor to be able to afford an extra night in a hotel or missing an additional day of work so they lash out. Be on guard for brawling in the gate hold room.
Furby likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dls25 View Post
I'm going to suggest that you pack something legal in your personal item that can be used as a weapon if needed. Irops situations like snowstorms are when Spirit passengers start acting out. Many of them are too poor to be able to afford an extra night in a hotel or missing an additional day of work so they lash out. Be on guard for brawling in the gate hold room.
In my experience, the DYKWIA types are far far worse.
Furby likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 3:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Mods: this probably belongs in the NK forum rather than the AA forum.
Note: there is no forum dedicated for Spirit here on FlyerTalk, but I moved the thread to the, "Other N/S American Airlines."

aztimm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: