Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aeromexico cancelled my flight and wants to charge fare difference

Old Jun 22, 20, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

I had a LAX-MEX-GRU-MEX-LAX itinerary in business class. They cancelled my outbound flights and now want to charge me the fare difference to rebook on another date. It was a discounted business class fare and the fare difference is now thousands of dollars. They claim the cancellation was due to coronavirus and therefore they are allowed to charge the difference in fare. The attendant was extremely rude on the phone.

Are they allowed to charge the fare difference if they cancelled my original flight? I have no interest in getting a voucher and I understand they are not giving full refunds either.
Old Jun 22, 20, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Corganbr View Post
I had a LAX-MEX-GRU-MEX-LAX itinerary in business class. They cancelled my outbound flights and now want to charge me the fare difference to rebook on another date. It was a discounted business class fare and the fare difference is now thousands of dollars. They claim the cancellation was due to coronavirus and therefore they are allowed to charge the difference in fare. The attendant was extremely rude on the phone.

Are they allowed to charge the fare difference if they cancelled my original flight? I have no interest in getting a voucher and I understand they are not giving full refunds either.
They are running quite the racket and teetering on insolvency. The only remedy seems to be to file a DOT complaint and do a credit card chargeback. They've not providing any flexibility whatsoever. I could have had the pleasure of paying another $3400 on a $2700 ticket to possibly use it at some point in the future. Yah, right.
cscasi likes this.
Old Jun 22, 20, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Are they allowed to charge the fare difference if they cancelled my original flight?
AM can charge fare difference, depending on the situation.

Usually, when a flight is cancelled, you will be given 2 options - rebooking or refund. In term of rebooking, airlines will waive fare difference up to certain time. If your desired rebooking is outside of this window, change fee will be waived only but you need to pay the difference.

It is not clear your exact scenario. So for now, I would have to say it is allowed unless detail can be provided.

I have no interest in getting a voucher and I understand they are not giving full refunds either.
If it is a reservation covered by DOT regulations, and an airline fails to comply, simply file a DOT complaint and let the airline does the rest.

If your flight has been cancelled, a full refund is the absolutely minimum you should be able to get.
cscasi likes this.
Old Jun 22, 20, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung View Post

If it is a reservation covered by DOT regulations, and an airline fails to comply, simply file a DOT complaint and let the airline does the rest.

If your flight has been cancelled, a full refund is the absolutely minimum you should be able to get.
The simple fact is that AM will not refund a canceled flight, period, to anyone. They will only offer rebooking with an add/collect, or a voucher.
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 22, 20, 7:02 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM
AM can charge fare difference, depending on the situation.

Usually, when a flight is cancelled, you will be given 2 options - rebooking or refund. In term of rebooking, airlines will waive fare difference up to certain time. If your desired rebooking is outside of this window, change fee will be waived only but you need to pay the difference.

It is not clear your exact scenario. So for now, I would have to say it is allowed unless detail can be provided.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
The simple fact is that AM will not refund a canceled flight, period, to anyone. They will only offer rebooking with an add/collect, or a voucher.
This is absolutely correct. I have spent over 4 weeks trying everything I could to get a refund per DOT. AM did not budge. A voucher was all I could get, and a credit card refund that I doubt will go through.
Old Jun 22, 20, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Geogirl1234 View Post
This is absolutely correct. I have spent over 4 weeks trying everything I could to get a refund per DOT. AM did not budge. A voucher was all I could get, and a credit card refund that I doubt will go through.
Did you try to rebook the flight to another date? How did you ask your credit card company for a refund?
Old Jun 22, 20, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you try to rebook the flight to another date? How did you ask your credit card company for a refund?
AM will only rebook if you agree to pay the new fare. The lowest fares I've found for my $27xx ticket and my $10xx ticket are $6000+.
They will not rebook in the same fare class at no charge, only at the prevailing fare.
Old Jun 22, 20, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
AM will only rebook if you agree to pay the new fare. The lowest fares I've found for my $27xx ticket and my $10xx ticket are $6000+.
They will not rebook in the same fare class at no charge, only at the prevailing fare.
Wow, what scumbags. They deserve to be out of business.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Jun 22, 20, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Wow, what scumbags. They deserve to be out of business.
I would encourage you to filing a formal petition demanding DOT ceasing AM's operations.
Old Jun 22, 20, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would encourage you to filing a formal petition demanding DOT ceasing AM's operations.
If I had a purchased ticket, I certainly would file a complaint.

I had multiple transpac J tickets that were refunded in a timely manner once the flights were canceled.
cscasi and kthomas like this.
Old Jun 23, 20, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
If I had a purchased ticket, I certainly would file a complaint.

I had multiple transpac J tickets that were refunded in a timely manner once the flights were canceled.
You are literally the first person I've seen post anywhere that AM voluntarily refunded you. Can you share any additional details on how you got them to behave? My tickets were also tpac J and they refused to refund.
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 23, 20, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angra View Post
You are literally the first person I've seen post anywhere that AM voluntarily refunded you. Can you share any additional details on how you got them to behave? My tickets were also tpac J and they refused to refund.
I didn’t say they were AM tickets, however. Sorry for the confusion, they were BR tickets.
Old Jun 23, 20, 9:19 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K

Uh, no. DOT has the ability to make the decision the airline must refund but has no enforcement authority. The airline must respond but with AM they don't act with giving a refund.

Here's the process that worked for me:

1. Contact AM and demand a refund and not a voucher or fare difference. Document this, preferably in writing via email or text. Do this multiple times.

2. File a DOT complaint.

3. Initiate a charge back with your credit card. In my case AM did not respond to the charge back and I was granted a full refund.

4. Post in every site available of the terrible practices of AM.
Slickw and kthomas like this.
Old Jun 23, 20, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
Uh, no. DOT has the ability to make the decision the airline must refund but has no enforcement authority. The airline must respond but with AM they don't act with giving a refund.

Here's the process that worked for me:

1. Contact AM and demand a refund and not a voucher or fare difference. Document this, preferably in writing via email or text. Do this multiple times.

2. File a DOT complaint.

3. Initiate a charge back with your credit card. In my case AM did not respond to the charge back and I was granted a full refund.

4. Post in every site available of the terrible practices of AM.
I did this, except 4. I have only posted to FT. I am in the "holding period" on 3. I've contemplated writing the congresscritters, too.
tkelvin69 and kthomas like this.
Old Jun 23, 20, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K
yeah, AM has been awful through this ordeal. They won't even give refunds for AM awards, either! The also give you a voucher with the amount of miles spent. One thing that pissed me off about this was when I tried to redeem the award voucher when AM had a new awards sale a month or so ago. The agent told me that I cannot use the miles in the voucher on promotions. I was like, W T F?! The original award I had was from a previous award sale AM had yet they will not let me use the miles voucher on another promo, ridiculous!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: