Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aeromexico - How do I get them to refund ticket for cancelled flight

Aeromexico - How do I get them to refund ticket for cancelled flight

Old Nov 3, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Dispute
Old Nov 3, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by slickvik
Dispute
This is how I eventually got a refund via a U.K. card. AeroMexico put up a ridiculous argument for a cancelled flight, even supplying the voucher Id agreed to, despite it not being in my name or travel route.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Jase76
This is how I eventually got a refund via a U.K. card. AeroMexico put up a ridiculous argument for a cancelled flight, even supplying the voucher Id agreed to, despite it not being in my name or travel route.
They never responded to mine.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by slickvik
They never responded to mine.
AeroMexico or your card issuer? I know US consumers have had some issues with refunds, but I would have thought any UK card issuer would do a chargeback by default if the merchant did not respond?

Edit: I should add the whole process took about six months with lots of emails, complaints and screenshots of evidence!
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
With a US card, if you have properly documented the basis for the chargeback and the vendor (merchant acquirer) does not respond, the chargeback is granted. If you are having trouble with your card issuer, elevate with the card issuer, but first make certain that the card issuer has what it needs from you, e.g., e-ticket receipt, notice of cancellation and your request for a refund.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jase76
AeroMexico or your card issuer? I know US consumers have had some issues with refunds, but I would have thought any UK card issuer would do a chargeback by default if the merchant did not respond?

Edit: I should add the whole process took about six months with lots of emails, complaints and screenshots of evidence!
AM
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
If you file the chargeback for a cancelled flight 90%+ they won't dispute it, don't waste your time with all this DOT stuff and trying to handle things nicely. If you file chargeback most likely the credit card company won't even ask for all this proof other posters here are asking saying they will unless there airline chooses to dispute, they'll just give you a temporary credit, and then if they don't hear back from the airline, which they probably won't, you'll get the full credit.

Just file the chargeback and move on is the smartest move.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by PointsPanda
If you file the chargeback for a cancelled flight 90%+ they won't dispute it, don't waste your time with all this DOT stuff and trying to handle things nicely. If you file chargeback most likely the credit card company won't even ask for all this proof other posters here are asking saying they will unless there airline chooses to dispute, they'll just give you a temporary credit, and then if they don't hear back from the airline, which they probably won't, you'll get the full credit.

Just file the chargeback and move on is the smartest move.
Might be the easiest move but certainly not the "smartest". DOT needs to be notified of non compliance and it is useful information to provide during a chargeback if necessary. It takes about 5 minutes to file an online DOT complaint.
Often1 and PointsPanda like this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
duplicate
Old Nov 13, 2020, 4:20 pm
Suspended

DOT & chargeback are not mutually exclusive. Do both. Same backup documents for both.

DOT won't do anything directly, but it will require AM to respond to you and to provide a copy of that response to DOT. It is a bit hard for AM to respond by declining a refund under US law when copying the agency responsible.
tkelvin69 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Often1
DOT & chargeback are not mutually exclusive. Do both. Same backup documents for both.

DOT won't do anything directly, but it will require AM to respond to you and to provide a copy of that response to DOT. It is a bit hard for AM to respond by declining a refund under US law when copying the agency responsible.
[Emphasis added]

Nonetheless, that is exactly what AM is doing.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:24 pm

I did everything in this forum and Capital One rebilled. So it looks like I lost this dispute? The original tickets were bought for a trip to Peru back in April.
Any help on next steps would be awesome.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:20 am

Hi there,

I have just received an email from the Civil Aviation Authority that despite several reminders regarding our refund, there is no response from Aeromexico. We are planning to file a court case, however, the only information we lack at the moment is the address of the company. Preferably a UK address? Does anyone know that?

Our story: We booked our flights to Cancun for April 2020 from London, they agreed to offer a voucher, but we filed a complaint to the Civil Aviation Authority. the CAA sent us the mail after 10 weeks that there's no response from Aeromexico.

I would really appreciate that.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by HanDaniel
Hi there,

I have just received an email from the Civil Aviation Authority that despite several reminders regarding our refund, there is no response from Aeromexico. We are planning to file a court case, however, the only information we lack at the moment is the address of the company. Preferably a UK address? Does anyone know that?

Our story: We booked our flights to Cancun for April 2020 from London, they agreed to offer a voucher, but we filed a complaint to the Civil Aviation Authority. the CAA sent us the mail after 10 weeks that there's no response from Aeromexico.

I would really appreciate that.
Did your flights operate? My MEX - HAV flights were cancelled. Like you, AM are useless and flat out refused a refund. I went down the charge back route and got a full refund. (Even though I paid with a debit and not credit card). May be easier for you than filing a complaint with the CAA.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by persh
I did everything in this forum and Capital One rebilled. So it looks like I lost this dispute? The original tickets were bought for a trip to Peru back in April.
Any help on next steps would be awesome.
Without specific details, impossible to help you. Bottom line is:
1. What makes you believe that you are entitled to a refund.
2. What did you submit to document your chargeback

The better detail (be sure to leave out personally identifying information), the more precise the advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.