Spirit cancellations

Old Mar 31, 20, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Spirit cancellations

Someone I know had a flight booked out of EWR this weekend and they have cancelled operations from that airport. They gave her a credit to be used within 6 months.

Is she not entitled to a refund rather than a credit? I told her to call and they're not answering the phone nor responding to emails.
Old Mar 31, 20, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
Someone I know had a flight booked out of EWR this weekend and they have cancelled operations from that airport. They gave her a credit to be used within 6 months.

Is she not entitled to a refund rather than a credit? I told her to call and they're not answering the phone nor responding to emails.
It's Spirit, how much was the ticket? I have had luck reaching them via Whatsapp.
jjbiv, KRSW and Mary2e like this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Spirit is Cancelling all flights to FLL from tri state area until May. Not sure about other Florida airports.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Spirit NY cancellations

Spirit cancelling all flights out of EWR, LGA, BDL they May 4. Will other airlines follow.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, Amex Plat
She is entitled to a refund per DOT regulations, but extracting it may be tough. Plan for a fight.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
She should make a request for a refund to her original form of payment. If she has not received it after seven days, she should file a chargeback with her credit card issuer (bank). Simple. No fight, no wasted time. Tell her to make sure to submit a copy of her e-ticket request and a screenshot of her cancellation request as well as whatever is the easiest proof that the flight has been cancelled.
angra likes this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 3:32 pm

Almost all carriers have radically trimmed their routes and frequencies. I am fairly certain that the legacy carriers will continue to serve at least NYC. What specific route concerns you?
Mary2e likes this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Almost all carriers have radically trimmed their routes and frequencies. I am fairly certain that the legacy carriers will continue to serve at least NYC. What specific route concerns you?
none. I really was asking for a friend.
Old Mar 31, 20, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. I forwarded her your information
Old Mar 31, 20, 11:01 pm

I'd also suggest filing a complaint with the DOT if she's unable to get satisfaction with Spirit.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Apr 1, 20, 3:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I think they provide a phone number and email address just to give the passenger a false sense of security.. I do believe the number rings in someone basement.. and the email .. who knows
Mary2e likes this.
Old Apr 1, 20, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
I think they provide a phone number and email address just to give the passenger a false sense of security.. I do believe the number rings in someone basement.. and the email .. who knows
I have had lots of luck contacting Spirit via WhatsApp
fotographer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy View Post
I have had lots of luck contacting Spirit via WhatsApp
How do you find them on WhatsApp?

EDIT - Finally worked it out. Contacting them now re my cancelled flights.

Last edited by PAL62V; Apr 2, 20 at 5:36 am
Old Apr 2, 20, 6:49 am

So I managed to get the flights refunded pretty quickly using WhatsApp - so thanks for the tip. Received promised email about 5 mins later. On the email, it has the refund listed as

Refund -$190.80
Original Purchase $190.80 American Express refund -$190.80

THEN, in a grey box below this, it has:

Credits Type Valid Thru Amount Reservation Credit
ID: (XXXXXX) September 30, 2020 $190.80 Reservation Credit
ID: (XXXXXX) September 30, 2020 $190.80

Your Reservation Credit can be booked anytime within 6 months of issue and can be used to book any flight available on our website; our schedule typically runs 6 to 9 months out; a credit issued on April 1, 2020, can be used to make a booking up to September 28, 2020, for travel through November 17, 2020. It can also be used for multiple bookings until the full value is used, can be redeemed by any Guest linked to this reservation, and can be applied toward airfare, bags, seats, vacation packages, taxes, and fees. Click here for more information on how to redeem your Reservation Credit.

So, I am assuming I DO have a refund, and not a credit? Has anyone else been thru this process and received the refund, even though a credit is mentioned at the bottom of the email??
Old Apr 2, 20, 8:43 am

It says that the $190.80 has been refunded to your Amex. Whether that has been done remains to be seen. Amex tends to process refunds quickly so it should show in no more than 2 business days, sometimes almost immediately.

If you are nervous, you could respond to Spirit, but that risks the possibility than an agent meant to issue a credit and issued a refund and voids this while it is still waiting to be transmitted.

I would leave it alone. If for some reason it does not show up in 7 business days (the time in which DOT requires refunds to be processed) then initiate a chargeback with Amex, noting that Spirit agreed to and advised that it had issued a credit.
PAL62V likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: