Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Understanding Aeromexico's covid change policies

Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Two months ago I booked directly with aeromexico.com for a flight May 9-16 from SFO to MEX. Not surprisingly, I want to change the dates. But I don't understand their covid policy; it sounds like it doesn't apply to flights in May. Can someone say if this is also their understanding? That if I change now, I'll pay a penalty?

Also there's no option online for me to make changes to my flight, and they don't want people calling in unless they're flying within the next 72 hours. Sounds like I need to hold tight and wait to make any changes?

Thanks,
-- Ethan
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by solomita
Two months ago I booked directly with aeromexico.com for a flight May 9-16 from SFO to MEX. Not surprisingly, I want to change the dates. But I don't understand their covid policy; it sounds like it doesn't apply to flights in May. Can someone say if this is also their understanding? That if I change now, I'll pay a penalty?

Also there's no option online for me to make changes to my flight, and they don't want people calling in unless they're flying within the next 72 hours. Sounds like I need to hold tight and wait to make any changes?

Thanks,
-- Ethan
I'd hold tight. Mexico is likely to be one of the last countries to be hit hard by this illness. I'd expect there's a good chance your flight will cancel. Keep up on their policy and if you see a beneficial change, call then (as I did). And AM policies seem to have changed more than once and more than twice. I just consider dealing with AM like reading Spanish with the Hebrew alphabet, if you don't know either of those languages.
solomita, fifty_two and GDL like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
It's going to be impossible to reach them in the short term.

Last edited by angra; Mar 26, 2020 at 12:13 pm
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:49 pm

Also, their waivers depend on when you bought the ticket. I'll assume you purchased prior to March 2020.

They currently do not have waivers in place for May travel. If your travel was in April, they would allow fee free changes, but would collect on any fare difference.

If they end up cancelling your flight, they will issue you a voucher for future travel.

The combination of the above two points has apparently left MANY people in the position of having their flight cancelled, and then having AM ask them for thousands of dollars to rebook onto alternate flights.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Just dealing with the same price gouging now with rebooking.

My flight is this weekend, I have to cancel and move to November due to Coronavirus. Old flight around $530 with plus, new $545 in only Classic, with fare difference and even the cheesy phone fees, shouldnt be much, right?

Nope, about $250 to change the flight. Why? They are only releasing full-fare flights to people changing flights due to Covid. So while I could book a wide open Classic fare for $545 right now, the same exact flight to their phone agents is over $750.

Going to try to go up the customer support ladder before I go all over social media with this, thankfully I have time.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rukes

My flight is this weekend, I have to cancel and move to November due to Coronavirus. Old flight around $530 with plus, new $545 in only Classic, with fare difference and even the cheesy phone fees, shouldnt be much, right?

Nope, about $250 to change the flight. Why? They are only releasing full-fare flights to people changing flights due to Covid. So while I could book a wide open Classic fare for $545 right now, the same exact flight to their phone agents is over $750.

Going to try to go up the customer support ladder before I go all over social media with this, thankfully I have time.
Please post this story publicly - that's absolutely unconscionable behavior.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

That really sucks for you. I guess I have to hope that they cancel my flight outright, otherwise who knows whether they'll do anything for me at all. But since my flight isn't for 6 weeks, I'll have to be patient.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:06 pm
Suspended

I just checked the price for SFO-MEX outbound.
Below you can see the first screen shot is for flight on March 28th, second screenshot is on November 14th. November price is $200+ higher than March. It is the price published for anyone to buy, and is not targeted to "coronavirus change" customers.
As with most airlines, customers need to pay fare difference when making changes.
Another consideration is, Aeromexico is only waiving change fee for the flights that they changed/canceled, not all flights. You said you want to change your flight, but didn't say if AM changed or cancelled your original flight, so I am assuming you initiate the change voluntarily. As I recall, their change fee is $200.
So, please include all this information in your social media posts.

SFO to MEX on March 28th

Flight SFO to MEX on November 14th

Last edited by Mama; Mar 26, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Check out the pointsguy.com who provides some good information [Edited by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 26, 2020 at 3:52 pm Reason: Unduly personalized content edited per FT Rule 12.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
I just checked the price for SFO-MEX outbound.
Below you can see the first screen shot is for flight on March 28th, second screenshot is on November 14th. November price is $200+ higher than March. It is the price published for anyone to buy, and is not targeted to "coronavirus change" customers.
As with most airlines, customers need to pay fare difference when making changes.
So please include this information when you go all over social media.

SFO to MEX on March 28th

Flight SFO to MEX on November 14th
I live in LA so I fly from LAX so my post is 100% accurate. Plus as I stated, while on the phone with the Aeromexico agent I did make a dummy booking and the flights were in fact the price I said, even saved a screenshot.

As an update, hit up Executive CS and they just replied back apologizing, found flights in Classic economy that are the price I saw and are going to exchange it for me.
angra likes this.

Last edited by Rukes; Mar 26, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:21 pm

As an update, hit up Executive CS and they just replied back apologizing, found flights in Classic economy that are the price I saw and are going to exchange it for me.
That's outstanding! I'm glad you were able to get a positive outcome from them!
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by angra
That's outstanding! I'm glad you were able to get a positive outcome from them!
well not quite yet, they said they would book me in Classic, and instead booked me in Basic (which definately wont work with the amount of luggage I have to check). Lets hope they correct this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:31 pm

I'm tempted to say "as bad as they've been [check twitter] even a partially good result is worth a cheer" but I probably wouldn't say that if I was in your shoes. Keep at 'em.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by angra
I'm tempted to say "as bad as they've been [check twitter] even a partially good result is worth a cheer" but I probably wouldn't say that if I was in your shoes. Keep at 'em.
They confirmed there is some sort of IT issue and although my reservation is displaying as Basic, they confirmed the fare booking codes for both flights are not V and do fall in with Classic. They said they will try to get IT to fix it. So all good for now (even able to select free seats as Delta Plat) and will just keep an eye on the itin and closer to November make sure it says Classic just in case.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:16 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
They confirmed there is some sort of IT issue and... They said they will try to get IT to fix it.
I have been hearing this excuse from AM for over a decade. In my experiences the "IT issue" was never remedied and only caused frustration at check-in. Only constant pressure and insisting will get anything resolved with AM; many times you can actually encounter decent staff that can clear up any issues with your tickets. But most times I get made-up rules or excuses from staff that just seek to get me to move along and leave them alone. Hoping you can resolve soon rather than add extra stress in check-in counter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.