Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

How long before receiving Spirit credit due to Coronavirus?

Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

It has been 10 days since I applied for a flight credit online for Coronavirus-related flight cancellation. I was just wondering if others have had to wait this long?

Even for Spirit, this is unusually long...
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Cancelled by you or by Spirit?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
After I filled out the web form last week, my reservation was cancelled and credit attached to the reservation within 30 minutes, however it took them 3 or 4 days to send me the email saying the credit was issued.

Try making a fake flight booking, and on the last step where it asks for payment enter in your original confirmation number as the reservation credit and see if it shows any credit on the reservation. You’re not making a booking at that point. No easier way I know to find out.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:20 pm

I got mine in a couple days.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by jdawg
After I filled out the web form last week, my reservation was cancelled and credit attached to the reservation within 30 minutes, however it took them 3 or 4 days to send me the email saying the credit was issued.

Try making a fake flight booking, and on the last step where it asks for payment enter in your original confirmation number as the reservation credit and see if it shows any credit on the reservation. You’re not making a booking at that point. No easier way I know to find out.
Did this today after waiting 2 weeks for email and not seeing anything on my account and Lo and Behold there it was ready to be used! Thank you for the guidance!
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

I finally received my credit for the flight; I cancelled the flight due to Coronavirus.

Just curious for future reference, has anyone used the new "Text Us" feature advertised on the rolling banner on the Spirit homepage? I am just curious if it really works and addresses things in real time.

While I am thinking of it... If you have a $100 flight credit and book a $50 flight, do you keep or lose the remaining $50? I can't find anything about this on their FAQ page. And the few times I've had credit with them, I've never had to worry about possibly "cheating" myself, as the credits were pretty small and completely used up on future bookings.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
You keep the $50 residual value you didn't use - the difference is stored under the same original reservation credit. Still maintains the original 6 month expiration date.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Why on earth accept a credit for a flight cancelled by NK? If NK cancels the flight, you are due a full refund to your original form of payment. If you want to fly some day and NK is still around, you may purchase a new ticket. Or you may need the cash for something else or for another carrier. No reason to lend money at 0% interest.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Often1... I absolutely agree about being able to get a refund to the original form of payment if Spirit (or any airline) cancels the flight. But I myself cancelled the flight from last week due to being forced to quarantine for 14 days by my employer upon my return due to a paucity of COV-19 tests available. I did not wish to have to go through that, so I cancelled the booking.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by frugal_flyer
Often1... I absolutely agree about being able to get a refund to the original form of payment if Spirit (or any airline) cancels the flight. But I myself cancelled the flight from last week due to being forced to quarantine for 14 days by my employer upon my return due to a paucity of COV-19 tests available. I did not wish to have to go through that, so I cancelled the booking.
I understand. But, one should still wait and only cancel for a voucher at the very last moment. Even if you know that you will not fly. If the flight is cancelled in the interim, you get your refund.
jjbiv likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.