Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeromexico refuses to refund, any guidance?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by angra
atcanobbio I apologize if I missed it, but what was your routing?
I booked a one way business class ticket on AM for April 1st, SEA-MEX-GDL. They had a great deal for $290 one way I think deal is still out there for later this year). I paid for it with points (19k).
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Thanks I just wanted to verify that there was a US flight involved.

I bought my tickets in the US but my flights were all outside the US. As far as I've been able to discern, no US regulatory agency has any jurisdiction over my transaction.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
I booked a one way business class ticket on AM for April 1st, SEA-MEX-GDL. They had a great deal for $290 one way I think deal is still out there for later this year). I paid for it with points (19k).
Did you pay anything in cash, e.g. taxes? If so, you should file a chargeback for those. This may not be much, but it gets attention.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL DM

Not sure if I should keep pushing or just use the voucher on one of the cheap AM Business class deals from YVR/SEA to South America.
Unfortunately a lot of the AM Business class deals from YVR/SEA/etc. are only available from OTA. If you see a great fare on Amextravel, Chase, Expedia, etc, and try to buy it directly from AM, the price is often a lot more.

It sounds like there are other people in the same boat as me. I booked an AM flight from YVR to Colombia for next week through Amextravel. All four segments of my trip were cancelled by AM. When contacting Amextravel, I was told that AM policy is only to give vouchers for future travel, which I do not want, since fares through them are often not great. Even a voucher with Amextravel would be better. Reading through this thread and another here, it seems like my options are pretty bleak, given that I am not traveling through the US. Maybe attempt an Amex to Amextravel chargeback?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Sorry but because my English is bad do you understand from the following message that we can rebook in a future date by just choosing a new date and not paying any fare difference?''We have decided to facilitate rebooking for our clients in a form of waivers which would allow clients with flights scheduled within March 1st to May 31st to reprogram their trips free of any additional charge before February 28th 2021 and complete their flights before February 28th 2021 as long as there is no change in route or service cabin. "
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG/Marriott Gold
so no real progress other than my DOT complaint against AM was approved. We'll see what comes of this. One thing I found out from Chase travel, iif you decide to use the airline credit for another ticket, you cannot pay the fare difference with your chase points, even if that initial purchase was made with points. Just putting that out there in case anyone was curious.
Did you try to contact AM directly about a refund at all? I got another email from Chase that said this:

We wanted to let you know that your flight has been automatically canceled by the airline due to the Global Coronavirus Outbreak and was converted to a future travel credit with reissue fee waived. On the other hand, you will still be responsible on paying any difference in fare.
They seem to come from addresses that don't accept replies. I may try to call Chase/Expedia, but that sounds fruitless. Was thinking of trying to call AM and see if they would refund it to Chase, and then it should be easier for Chase/Expedia to issue a refund. Not sure if they would be able to do anything since it was an OTA ticket. Or I can just file the DOT complaint...
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Biscoff27

Unfortunately a lot of the AM Business class deals from YVR/SEA/etc. are only available from OTA. If you see a great fare on Amextravel, Chase, Expedia, etc, and try to buy it directly from AM, the price is often a lot more.

It sounds like there are other people in the same boat as me. I booked an AM flight from YVR to Colombia for next week through Amextravel. All four segments of my trip were cancelled by AM. When contacting Amextravel, I was told that AM policy is only to give vouchers for future travel, which I do not want, since fares through them are often not great. Even a voucher with Amextravel would be better. Reading through this thread and another here, it seems like my options are pretty bleak, given that I am not traveling through the US. Maybe attempt an Amex to Amextravel chargeback?
yeah, like amex travel, Chase Travel is just following the airline's guidelines. I mean, i can see why Chase can't do much. They're just the middle man in all this. I'm hoping the DOT complaint goes somewhere.

Originally Posted by seadan
Did you try to contact AM directly about a refund at all? I got another email from Chase that said this:

They seem to come from addresses that don't accept replies. I may try to call Chase/Expedia, but that sounds fruitless. Was thinking of trying to call AM and see if they would refund it to Chase, and then it should be easier for Chase/Expedia to issue a refund. Not sure if they would be able to do anything since it was an OTA ticket. Or I can just file the DOT complaint...
AM would not budge whatsoever. I think At this point I'll just let the DOT take care of things. Thankfully, this drama didn't take any money out of my pocket since I used points. But for many people it did and I hope they get their money back.
angra likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:57 pm

Issues with Aeromexico

Hello,
I have never posted before but I have been having a hard time getting a refund from Aeromexico. My flight was Detroit to Cancun and back. I bought my tickets in October 2019. My flight must have been “code shared” with delta as the flight used delta aircraft. I received a email 2 days prior that my flight was cancelled by delta. I called delta and they stated that there was no alternative flight for me to take as it was sold out. They said I was due a refund but they could not process it as I had purchased by ticket with chase UR with Aeromexico. I called chase and they also felt I was due a refund. I have called and emailed Aeromexico and they state that they do not have to give refund because of covid19. I have been working with them over the last month and they either defer answering my questions or tell me I must talk to chase. Chase states I need to talk to Aeromexico. I am so frustrated by this process. I have reported this case to the department of transportation. I’ll update as I go through the process in order to help others. I wish everyone the best. Stay healthy.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:08 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, Travelissues . I'm sorry to meet under such frustrating circumstances. Aeromexico is really behaving quite badly in all this. As your trip involves the US, the DOT's rules definitely apply. I don't know what it's going to take to get AM to follow the law. Good luck to you and the rest of us.
Travelissues likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Aeromexico refusing refunds despite cancellation

I recently had 6 business class flights on AM cancelled and they are refusing to refund despite most recent DOT policy (https://www.transportation.gov/sites...3%202020_0.pdf) stating that all cancellations (regardless of reason) require refund if requested. No luck with the phone rep, supervisor, and even direct correspondence with Mr. Edouard Piquet, VP of contact centers and former DL employee. I've filed a DOT complaint today. Wondering if people have had similar issues and/or know any other courses of action to pursue.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:03 am

Yes - there is another forum that I anticipate this will get moved to. Several posts there, all consistent with your experience. I would suggest initiating a dispute if you paid with a credit card.
tkelvin69 likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Well, my issue with AM cancellation from Peru has been resolved. My DOT complaint was filed and AM responded with copies of the vouchers they gave me (which I never agreed to or received). I disputed this finding with the DOT. My disputed charge with the credit card company has been made permanent today with a full credit of the return amount of the fare.

Good riddance to AM.
angra likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Well, my issue with AM cancellation from Peru has been resolved. My DOT complaint was filed and AM responded with copies of the vouchers they gave me (which I never agreed to or received). I disputed this finding with the DOT. My disputed charge with the credit card company has been made permanent today with a full credit of the return amount of the fare.

Good riddance to AM.
——
still no resolution for me. I booked my flight via chase travel. They keep saying they have to do what Aeromexico states which is give me a voucher. Still waiting to hear from Aeromexico regarding my DOT complaint.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69

Good riddance to AM.
If you don't mind saying - what credit card? And when did you file your dispute and when did it become resolved in your favor?
Old May 5, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by angra
If you don't mind saying - what credit card? And when did you file your dispute and when did it become resolved in your favor?

Disputed 30 days ago, resolved today. Not disclosing the credit card to prevent any issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.