Aeromexico refuses to refund, any guidance?

Old Jul 28, 20, 1:40 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Found something on the AM website that I don't think was there before...In the event of an involuntary change, we ask that you take the following points into consideration:
  • If your travel itinerary is affected by government travel restrictions on our flights, you will not be charged a fare difference, as long as your new flight departs within 30 days of our operations resuming.
  • Requests for refunds will be available beginning July 1, 2021.
  • The value of your electronic voucher (EMD) is equal to 115% of the value of your ticket before tax.
  • The electronic voucher (EMD) is valid for a year from the date of issue, and the trip must be completed within 330 days from the date of your reservation. Electronic vouchers do not apply for Gran Plan.
  • Passengers traveling on our Basic Fare who are affected by cancelations due to controllable factors or government travel restrictions, are eligible to rebook their flight or request a refund.
  • It is important to mention that we will not be liable for any additional costs, such as ground transportation, meals, phone calls, accommodations, and other expenses incurred by passengers affected.

None of this was offered to me when I called. I don't really want them keeping my money until Jul of 2021, but if that's the best I can do, I'd probably take that (though I would worry about their financial future) 115% Voucher was also never offered to me. But I still have a problem with their 1 year window. I'm looking at tickets I bought in like January...so really I only have another 6 months to use it, but does that 330 days refer to when I REBOOK it? Because that then does open it up to almost 2 years. Still not great/ideal, but it might be better than attempting this fight with the CTA, or at least good to know for my other tickets. I guess I'll call them back this week to really nail down the details before I file anything with the CTA.

this is a new cancellation policy that I brought up a page or two back. It only applies for tickets booked after July 1st. Anything issued before July 1st, crappy rules apply
Old Jul 28, 20, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Geogirl1234 View Post
I just got a letter from Wells Fargo saying that my AM cancelled flight claim was approved, the claim was accepted by the merchant's bank, and the temporary credit is now permanent (original temporary credit was June 12). Now I just need to convince them to return the miles I used for the other half of the ticket. For some reason they are being incredibly stubborn about giving my miles back, but at least I now have the cash portion back.
yeah, I have three AM award vouchers. It's annoying af that they wont just refund the points back to the account, especially if they had no issues refunding the cash portion. Please do report back on here if you get them to refund the points back to your account!
Old Jul 28, 20, 3:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by atcanobbio View Post
this is a new cancellation policy that I brought up a page or two back. It only applies for tickets booked after July 1st. Anything issued before July 1st, crappy rules apply
Well that's BS. Not that I don't believe you but where did you see the after Jul 1. How the hell can they justify that I must fly before Aug 31, 2020 (which I'm now seeing on a diff page)? We don't even know if the borders will be open, I know Colombia isn't opening their border until Sep 1. Right now Aeromexico is only flying like 2/3x to YVR, so what if those don't work with my availability or if they're sold out somehow...

So let's assume I can't fly by then...which I'm pretty sure I won't be able to...are they gonna just call my flight like "used and finished"? Which is really disingenuous.

It's hilarious that they're offering people who buy now better terms. I understand why companies do that of course, but it's total BS. I have 3-4 tickets all booked before this arbitrary cutoff they've imposed. So I guess I'm supposed to fly 3-4 round trips to SOMEWHERE, with quarantine rules, all in the next 34 days? Yea...that makes sense.

I may still call these guys, but it might only serve to anger me further, I just feel like I should give them oneeee more chance to make me a reasonable offer before I go crying to the government. I'm blown away by the lack of Amex's pushback on this. I've always had confidence that CC companies would do right by you in instances of theft/fraudulent purchases/things like this. Their duty is to me, not saving Aeromexico's ..., and from the looks of things, they basically took ANYTHING Aeromexico said and just ran with it. I could've saved them 4 weeks of waiting to tell them what AM was gonna say.
Old Jul 28, 20, 4:43 pm

Well that's BS. Not that I don't believe you but where did you see the after Jul 1. How the hell can they justify that I must fly before Aug 31, 2020 (which I'm now seeing on a diff page)? We don't even know if the borders will be open, I know Colombia isn't opening their border until Sep 1. Right now Aeromexico is only flying like 2/3x to YVR, so what if those don't work with my availability or if they're sold out somehow...

So let's assume I can't fly by then...which I'm pretty sure I won't be able to...are they gonna just call my flight like "used and finished"? Which is really disingenuous.

It's hilarious that they're offering people who buy now better terms. I understand why companies do that of course, but it's total BS. I have 3-4 tickets all booked before this arbitrary cutoff they've imposed. So I guess I'm supposed to fly 3-4 round trips to SOMEWHERE, with quarantine rules, all in the next 34 days? Yea...that makes sense.

I may still call these guys, but it might only serve to anger me further, I just feel like I should give them oneeee more chance to make me a reasonable offer before I go crying to the government. I'm blown away by the lack of Amex's pushback on this. I've always had confidence that CC companies would do right by you in instances of theft/fraudulent purchases/things like this. Their duty is to me, not saving Aeromexico's ..., and from the looks of things, they basically took ANYTHING Aeromexico said and just ran with it. I could've saved them 4 weeks of waiting to tell them what AM was gonna say.
i agree, it's complete BS!

https://aeromexico.com/en-us/notific...for-passengers

if you click on link above and scroll down a little, you'll see "Flexibility on flights purchased before June 30, 2020" and "Flexibility on flights purchased from July 1, 2020". You'll be able to see the info for each when you click on "learn more". But yes, it's BS and AM could have applied the more generous waivers to bookings prior July 1st, but they didn't. total d**k move on their behalf.
Old Jul 29, 20, 12:49 pm

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread, but I'm confused about AM's flexibility waiver. I booked tickets before March 2020 for travel in November 2020, specifically to visit a particular tiny resort. That resort has since cancelled my reservation because they aren't planning to re-open by then. I'm also not entirely comfortable traveling internationally this year. I'd like to reschedule for next spring, but the guidance on the site says that for tickets booked before March, travel needs to be complete by August 31. Since my original travel wasn't even scheduled before August 31, why on earth would I be required to move it earlier? Worse yet, I booked through Expedia because I couldn't get AM to pull up the right flights online, and of course they aren't offering any flexibility beyond what is spelled out in the policy, regardless of how much sense it doesn't make.

Am I missing something here or should I just wait to see what happens after August 31?
Old Jul 29, 20, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Cellyn View Post
I don't know if this is the appropriate thread, but I'm confused about AM's flexibility waiver. I booked tickets before March 2020 for travel in November 2020, specifically to visit a particular tiny resort. That resort has since cancelled my reservation because they aren't planning to re-open by then. I'm also not entirely comfortable traveling internationally this year. I'd like to reschedule for next spring, but the guidance on the site says that for tickets booked before March, travel needs to be complete by August 31. Since my original travel wasn't even scheduled before August 31, why on earth would I be required to move it earlier? Worse yet, I booked through Expedia because I couldn't get AM to pull up the right flights online, and of course they aren't offering any flexibility beyond what is spelled out in the policy, regardless of how much sense it doesn't make.

Am I missing something here or should I just wait to see what happens after August 31?
It seems you have until August 31st, 2021. I would call or chat (twitter or whatsapp) with AM and confirm with them. They won't be able to change your ticket since Expedia issued it but they might clarify what your options are.

Tickets purchased before March 1, 2020

• The waiver is valid for original tickets that have been purchased before March 1, 2020.
  • Impacted travel dates: from March 1, 2020 to August 31, 2020.
  • Ticket issuing allowed until April 30, 2021.
  • The rescheduled trip must take place before August 31, 2021.
Old Aug 3, 20, 8:09 pm

PROGRESS!!!

So, I know many of you are looking for refunds, honestly, I'd prefer a refund, but I travel a lot and have no problems flying Aeromexico, so taking a voucher wasn't a big issue for me, other than the fact that for my credit card health I'd rather just have the money back

My issue was the deadlines and the value of the voucher.

So as I said above my chargeback got reversed, so I figured I'd call AM once more today to try and sort it out. What a world of difference.

First agent told me I had to use the ticket by April, 2021. It SOUNDS like what he should've said was the I needed to ISSUE the ticket in April, 2021.

First agent told me the value of the voucher would only be about half of what my ticket was worth. Which was flat out incorrect, despite me explaining the logic behind the math multiple times.

I'm not sure if the first agent was just
a) wrong
b) trying to get rid of me
c) poor in communication
d) under educated on the policies

But I called back today and basically got exactly what I was asking for. I was given the options of either changing my ticket free, one time, with travel completion by Aug 31, 2021. Or I could take a voucher where travel would have to be completed 1 year from issuance of the voucher, so Aug 3, 2021. I probably should've waited a week or two and called back, but at least this way it's dealt with. Ticket needs to be issued either way by Apr 30, 2021.

Even he admitted both options are basically the same, but there are some key differences.
1) obviously the voucher gets you a few less weeks of option
2) the ticket re-issue can only be used in full, IE: if you have 1000$ of value and your new ticket is only $800, you're gonna forfeit that $200. I hate that kinda stuff cuz it just forces me to look for expensive flights for no reason
3) ticket re-issuing would have to be in the same class of service or higher (I THINK, when you change a ticket this is a rule they apply, so I assume it would apply here) and since I bought J class as it was cheap, I'd be pigeonholed into buying J class again, which I don't wanna do. I like to have business class as an option, not to be forced into it.

So I took the voucher, in either option it can only be used by the person named on it. But he even said I could use the voucher like 8 times if I wanted as long as all the travel is completed by Aug 31, 2021.

My plan, as someone who is quite used to economy flying, is to more than likely turn this one J class ticket worth like $1100 into 2.5 Y class trips, assuming I think I'll have time. I can get YVR-HAV for like <$400 on the reg. YVR-MDE is routinely anywhere from $500-700 and I think I've bought it as cheap as like $398. So if I can squeeze 3 trips out of $1100 + a little bit of top off, I'll be quite happy. I'm just glad I got my flexibility back, because the J class or higher thing got me into some trouble the first time around when I changed the ticket voluntarily.

Now the only other thing I need to mention is that he specifically said, once you book, you won't get the "free change" because of covid back. The rebooking will count as your free change. But I then made sure to ask about what if they cancel my flight, as was the case this time. He then basically gave me the standard line of like, they'll put you on the next flight or you can rebook up to 14 days before or after. But like if I rebook in Apr and in Jun 2021 they're still cancelling flights cuz of covid, I'll worry about that then.

In the end I was quite satisfied with the agent, not just because I got what I wanted, but because what I wanted wasn't a big ask. He didn't do me any favors, he just got the info right as it's presented on their website. I'd like till the end of 2021 at least, but for whatever reason they've picked Aug 2021 instead. Now we'll see how it goes with my other tickets, I have MDE again booked for Dec with AM, UIO booked for Sep with AM, CDG booked for Oct with LH and MDE booked for Oct with UA. As of right now, all those trips are still planned as a go lol. I hope they come off, partly because I wanna travel, but also because I don't need ANOTHER like $1000 with AM needing to be used by August
Old Aug 4, 20, 1:51 am

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
PROGRESS!!!I have MDE again booked for Dec with AM, UIO booked for Sep with AM, CDG booked for Oct with LH and MDE booked for Oct with UA. As of right now, all those trips are still planned as a go lol. I hope they come off, partly because I wanna travel, but also because I don't need ANOTHER like $1000 with AM needing to be used by August
keep fingers crossed and everything will be fine
Old Aug 4, 20, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by fifty_two View Post
keep fingers crossed and everything will be fine
Haha, my fingers have been broken for months waiting for things to be fine lol

Search this Thread
Search Engine: