Spirit $9 fare club trial

Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat
Spirit $9 fare club trial

My sister (very price-sensitive) is flying Spirit in a few weeks and the $9 fare club tickets are about $30 less expensive than the regular ones. Would this concept work?

1. Make a dummy booking for a few months out and include the $20 $9 fare club "trial" in the purchase.
2. Cancel the dummy booking and get a refund under the 24-hour refund policy
3. Make the real booking and get the club discounts
4. Cancel the club trial

We'd still have to pay the $20 trial fee, but this way we'd get the benefits of the club on the initial flight. Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:43 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Why would you do this with a dummy booking? Just book the ticket using the trial, cancel the trial after the flight or right before it renews.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat
If you buy the trial in the process of booking a reservation, the benefits aren't valid for that reservation.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by amejr999
My sister (very price-sensitive) is flying Spirit in a few weeks and the $9 fare club tickets are about $30 less expensive than the regular ones. Would this concept work?

1. Make a dummy booking for a few months out and include the $20 $9 fare club "trial" in the purchase.
2. Cancel the dummy booking and get a refund under the 24-hour refund policy
3. Make the real booking and get the club discounts
4. Cancel the club trial

We'd still have to pay the $20 trial fee, but this way we'd get the benefits of the club on the initial flight. Thanks!
This is exactly what I am going to do for a reservation today. But a dirt cheap $41 fare to add the $19 trial. Then buy the tickets I want with the $9FC. THEN cancel the dirt cheap fare within 24 hours for a full refund.

The icing on the cake would be if they refund the $19 trial because it was within 24 hours and part of the same transaction as the ticket being refunded. Not sure. If not, I guess I get it for another 59 days, but will probably cancel immediately so as to not to forget and auto renew.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Why would you do this with a dummy booking? Just book the ticket using the trial, cancel the trial after the flight or right before it renews.
Because it only lets you join for the full year at $59 if you want to apply to the reservation you're making. $19 for a 2 month trial for future reservations starting with the next one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.