Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit Big Front Seat

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Thanks for the trip-report! Was a great read... Will certainly consider flying them...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew it recently from ACY-FLL

The seat reminds me of the old US Airways First Class seats on their narrowbodies but without recline. It's more comfortable than anything behind it and anything on F9 or NK but less comfortable than anything on DL.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:37 pm

All right, here is a twist. Thinking of a last minute, red-eye flight OAK-DTW on Thursday (2 days away).

Big Front seat is $80, or, a middle seat in the back is $14. Here is the catch: the purchase seat map for the entire back of the cabin is basically empty. So the thought is buy a middle seat, with a full empty row in front and back, and I can most likely have 3 seats to my self and maybe get 3 hours of sleep.

Or, do a big front seat and try to sleep sitting up.

What would you choose?

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Jun 11, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Seating Assignment Issue

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

So the thought is buy a middle seat, with a full empty row in front and back, and I can most likely have 3 seats to my sleep and maybe get 3 hours of sleep.

Or, do a big front seat and try to sleep sitting up.

What would you choose?
Tough question. Do we assume the seat map matches the number of passengers? I'd be inclined to thinking that many of the Spirits pasajeros are going to forgo the seat assignment, leading to the unreliable seating map. Steep price for Big Front Seat, usually less than that. I'd take the middle seat and chance it for this particular flight! Give it a shot...

And let us know how it turns out.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:45 am

are the armrests 100% movable on spirit? not knowing this has prevented me from buying 2 seats on a more full flight before when the big seats were sold out. i was wanting the emergency row. . and i recently was in the emergency row and they appeared to be non moveable and would be sticking out even if they did move up.

but to be honest id take width over pitch if i had to make a choice. would i have to buy a non emergency row seat to get guaranteed armrest movable?

80 is nuts for the seat. phl to dfw ive never paid more than 51.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Spanish
Tough question. Do we assume the seat map matches the number of passengers? I'd be inclined to thinking that

And let us know how it turns out.
For what it’s worth, I did not take the flight. I actually called Spirit customer support at 18:00 that day, and the flight was completely sold out.

Seems weird to me, but hey...what do I know.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I don't know... hardly surprising that most pax, after choosing to fly Spirit, don't choose to pay $$ for a seat assignment.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:20 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/f...rst-class.html
Spanish and IBMeg like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Apparently I was wrong to assume all Spirit flights have Big Front Seats. I was finally on-board with giving Spirit a try, but the flight that meets my timing needs only has regular seats. This is LGA-TPA. Is it a common occurrence?

Last edited by vatraveler; Dec 10, 2019 at 7:55 am Reason: Fixed typo
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Apparently I was wrong to assume all Spirit flights have Big Front Seats. I was finally on-board with giving Spirit a try, but the flight that meets my timing needs only has regular seats. This is LGA-TPA. Is it a common occurrence?
I've not been on a Spirit jet without the Big Front Seats. Sometimes, they're sold out on a particular flight, though.

As a side note, I flew CMH-FLL yesterday for $103.30 in the Big Front Seat. No paid luggages. I think this was an exceptional deal! Seat 2F has a perfectly-aligned window on the A320NEO. Wow, those motors are quiet!

My Briggs & Riley 2-wheel rolling cabin bag fit perfectly into the "personal item" sizer at the airport, as an FYI to those trying to fly Spirit without luggage charges. Overhead space was available by the Big Front Seat rows, so I didn't have to put it under the seat in front of me. It looks like it would've fit, though.

For nonstop flights, this Big Front Seat can really be a steal for those willing to try Spirit Airlines. The staff has always been lovely on the flights I've taken (ground crew included). They're extra-helpful since they know they have lots of infrequent flyers.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've not been on a Spirit jet without the Big Front Seats. Sometimes, they're sold out on a particular flight, though.

As a side note, I flew CMH-FLL yesterday for $103.30 in the Big Front Seat. No paid luggages. I think this was an exceptional deal! Seat 2F has a perfectly-aligned window on the A320NEO. Wow, those motors are quiet!

My Briggs & Riley 2-wheel rolling cabin bag fit perfectly into the "personal item" sizer at the airport, as an FYI to those trying to fly Spirit without luggage charges. Overhead space was available by the Big Front Seat rows, so I didn't have to put it under the seat in front of me. It looks like it would've fit, though.

For nonstop flights, this Big Front Seat can really be a steal for those willing to try Spirit Airlines. The staff has always been lovely on the flights I've taken (ground crew included). They're extra-helpful since they know they have lots of infrequent flyers.
Definitely none on this flight. Row 1 starts with 3-3 seating and is not priced higher than the other first few rows. Oh well; maybe I can try Spirit on a later trip.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Definitely none on this flight. Row 1 starts with 3-3 seating and is not priced higher than the other first few rows. Oh well; maybe I can try Spirit on a later trip.
Wow, that's a big-time bummer. I hope this isn't a trend...
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
How is the storage space underneath the big front seat, would it fit the Travel pro crew 9-10 rolling tote sized at 8.5 x 16 x 13 inches?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
How is the storage space underneath the big front seat, would it fit the Travel pro crew 9-10 rolling tote sized at 8.5 x 16 x 13 inches?
I can't speak to fitting under the seat itself since I don't put my rolling cabin bag under it but in the overhead. You'll have plenty of overhead space once you board.

As for the size, compare it to my aforementioned bag. Mine fits without issue into the "personal item" sizer.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I can't speak to fitting under the seat itself since I don't put my rolling cabin bag under it but in the overhead. You'll have plenty of overhead space once you board.

As for the size, compare it to my aforementioned bag. Mine fits without issue into the "personal item" sizer.
It looks like they are about the same size, but because they exceed the personal item size requirement and it is my first flight with Spirit I went ahead and bought a cabin bag, perhaps unnecessarily...I asked about the underseat storage because I was thinking also of boarding last, if it fits underneath the seat, just to avoid covid exposure, but perhaps I shouldn't, just in case it doesn't fit....
Spanish likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.