Wiki Posts
Search

Aeromexico Carry-On Policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Aeromexico Carry-On Policy

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are flying LAX-MEX-GRU and back for a 4 day trip in December to go to a relative's wedding on a discounted AM business fare. Delta metal on the LAX-MEX and MEX-LAX segment, and the AM 787-9 to and from Brazil. We'd like to be able to carry on, but we'd have to take a full-size, domestic rolling carry-on and my Briggs & Riley compact tri-fold garment bag, each of which is technically a little too big for Aeromexico per the policies on its website. What I don't want is to have to gate check my soft garment bag and have our formalwear tossed around the hold, especially considering we're getting to GRU the night before the wedding.

I'm not worried about having to check our bags at LAX, but is it going to be an issue at MEX? For reference, we took the same rolling bag last summer and carried it on our long hauls (in Y) to Europe and back (LAX-CDG-BEG and MXP-JFK-LAX), but were forced to check it on the short Air Serbia flight from BEG-SPU, even though it was on an A319 with full-size overhead bins (the same as our CDG-BEG flight on AF).

If it was a direct flight I'd probably just check a bag, but given the plane change in MEX and the fact that we are taking legitimately nice clothes (atypical for our travels), I'd rather carry on if possible. Any guidance from others who have taken American-sized carry-ons on AM?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mpomega
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are flying LAX-MEX-GRU and back for a 4 day trip in December to go to a relative's wedding on a discounted AM business fare. Delta metal on the LAX-MEX and MEX-LAX segment, and the AM 787-9 to and from Brazil. We'd like to be able to carry on, but we'd have to take a full-size, domestic rolling carry-on and my Briggs & Riley compact tri-fold garment bag, each of which is technically a little too big for Aeromexico per the policies on its website. What I don't want is to have to gate check my soft garment bag and have our formalwear tossed around the hold, especially considering we're getting to GRU the night before the wedding.

I'm not worried about having to check our bags at LAX, but is it going to be an issue at MEX? For reference, we took the same rolling bag last summer and carried it on our long hauls (in Y) to Europe and back (LAX-CDG-BEG and MXP-JFK-LAX), but were forced to check it on the short Air Serbia flight from BEG-SPU, even though it was on an A319 with full-size overhead bins (the same as our CDG-BEG flight on AF).

If it was a direct flight I'd probably just check a bag, but given the plane change in MEX and the fact that we are taking legitimately nice clothes (atypical for our travels), I'd rather carry on if possible. Any guidance from others who have taken American-sized carry-ons on AM?
Just FYI. I belive the AM flight between MEX and GRU is on 787-8, not 787-9. There is significant difference in business cabin seat layouts between the two models. And, 787-8 is much older.

Last edited by Mama; Nov 1, 2019 at 7:38 am
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A few notes about AM cabin baggage:

1) I've only flown from LAX once and the gate carry on police were really really bad.
2) When you check in @ LAX, make sure you get cabin baggage tags affixed. They are "almost" good as gold.
3) I've never seen strict enforcement for the J cabin on the 787s at the gate (and I've been on plenty of those flights ex-MEX)
4) If for any reason you don't use the transit security line @ MEX (i,e, just past customs, to the left, before you go into the general arrivals area), and use the regular security lines upstairs, I've seen them at times prohibit people without AM cabin baggage tags on the hand luggage from entering.
5) Expect that AM will weigh your cabin baggage.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mama
Just FYI. I belive the AM flight between MEX and GRU is on 787-8, not 787-9. There is significant difference in business cabin seat layouts between the two models. And, 787-8 is much older.
I actually flew this exact flight a few months ago also in J and it was the 787-8 with the old layout. I guess it got upgraded to the 787-9 for the holidays. I don't find the old layout horrible traveling with a companion, but definitely looking forward to the 787-9

And thank you Eastbay1K, that is super helpful! I've flown with these bags as carry-ons at LAX so much more concerned about the second leg than the first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.