Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

New USA Low Cost Carrier Breeze (nee Moxy) to launch 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

David Neeleman, founder of Morris Air, WestJet and JetBlue before he tellcated to Brazil, starting Azul and essentially becoming top dog at TAP, seems to be at it again. He reportedly has $100 million in stsrtup money and orders for 60 Bombardier CS300

Investors are said to include former Air Canada CEO Robert Milton and former ILFC CEO Henri Courpron, according to information. The possible name of the nascent airline? Moxy.

Bloomberg: “Moxy is designed to maximize the economic advantages of the C Series jets, along with the use of smaller, secondary airports such as Providence, Rhode Island; Fort Worth, Texas; and Burbank, California, Airline Weekly said. The advanced jetliner reduces fuel consumption due to its modern engines and extensive use of lightweight carbon fiber.”

Montréal Gazette: “Moxy has told investors it will sell only point-to-point flights to keep down costs, according to a presentation cited by the publication. But the airline isn’t seeking to mimic ultra low-cost carriers like Allegiant Travel Co. or Spirit Airlines Inc. Instead, Moxy would be more in line with Neeleman’s past ventures at Azul and JetBlue, where spacious seats and free Wi-Fi combine with some fees for extra services, such as snacks or seat assignments, Airline Weekly reported.”

See Bloomberg.

See Montréal Gazette.

Airline Weekly Article preview (paywall for full article).
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a Moxy hotel chain, so it's an odd choice to pick as the name for a new airline, assuming that there's no connection.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It’s also the name of an anti-biotic in Germany, Moxy-floxicatin! I think something new and interesting is desperately needed in the American aviation market, ideally a niche carrier which offers full service. But obviously, that would be financially untenable. It’s all ULCC these days.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Concerto
It’s also the name of an anti-biotic in Germany, Moxy-floxicatin! I think something new and interesting is desperately needed in the American aviation market, ideally a niche carrier which offers full service. But obviously, that would be financially untenable. It’s all ULCC these days.
Let's see: Like SunCountry? JetBlue? Alaska? Virgin America? Or how about the carrier that was based in Milwaukee and supposedly used the former R J Reynolds fleet of aircraft, supposedly with all FC-like seats? There's also that small outfit that serves pets rather than people, which you might or might not want to consider to be full service.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:27 am
Suspended

what does spacious seats mean ?

Surely it will have the same number of seats per row as all other CS300 operators.

More legroom by use of slimline seats maybe ?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question deep pockets?

Upstart LCCs work IF the ownership has deep pockets e.g. Swoop & WS, Rouge & AC. I don't see how Moxy overcomes this barrier to entry?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Upstart LCCs work IF the ownership has deep pockets e.g. Swoop & WS, Rouge & AC. I don't see how Moxy overcomes this barrier to entry?
$100M seems deep enough to get them off the ground, at least.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Neeleman has deep pockets It is strange, though that he's going with Bombardier and not Embraer
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
Moxy would be more in line with Neeleman’s past ventures at Azul and JetBlue, where spacious seats and free Wi-Fi combine with some fees for extra services,
Really?
I didn't know Jetblue and Azul have free WiFi.

Last edited by Mama; Jun 20, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:02 pm

Not a bad idea. In reality, the US does need more airlines not less. I also like the name.

As for the airplane, take a look at this:
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Good luck to them in any case. New airlines in the US seemingly don't last all that long these days (such as Cal Jet).
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tmiw
Good luck to them in any case. New airlines in the US seemingly don't last all that long these days (such as Cal Jet).
this is Neeleman we're talking about. Everything he touches in aviation turns to gold + he looking at using the super efficient Airbus A220s & to 2ndary airports. Hubs in USA are in such a congested mess & probably getting worse.

Sounds like a winner to me.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's see: Like SunCountry? JetBlue? Alaska? Virgin America? Or how about the carrier that was based in Milwaukee and supposedly used the former R J Reynolds fleet of aircraft, supposedly with all FC-like seats? There's also that small outfit that serves pets rather than people, which you might or might not want to consider to be full service.
Sun Counttry is going ULCC.
Virgin America has been sold.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:30 pm

I had heard rumors that Neeleman's new airline would be HQed in SLC. That turns out to be correct. https://business.utah.gov/news/breez...-headquarters/

Right now, the holding company is named Breeze Aviation. A local tv station states that "Moxy" is just the code name for the new airline, asserting that the final name of the airline will likely be something else, because of the use of the word "Moxy" by the hotel chain.
https://www.ksl.com/article/46692947...salt-lake-city

I will be interested to learn whether the new airline will have a hub in SLC in addition to the HQ. The new airport will have the gate space available. Morris Air's hub was SLC and I really enjoyed flying with them. Warm blueberry muffins on morning flights and a copy of the newspaper.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by amanuensis
Warm blueberry muffins on morning flights and a copy of the newspaper.
How quaint!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.