Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air Transat TS157 diverted to YOW; passengers held hostage and called 911

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Transat TS157 diverted to YOW; passengers held hostage and called 911

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Thumbs down Air Transat TS157 diverted to YOW; passengers held hostage and called 911

Lots of media reports today regarding Air Transat TS157 BRU-YUL being diverted to YOW yesterday and passengers held hostage and sweating on board without any a/c or food and water until passengers called 911 and police and paramedics arrived.

Flight eventually departed YOW at 2301 EST arriving YUL at 2329. (This can all be seen on FlightRadar24)

I can't begin to imagine what these folks went through. Been on TS once (2007) in our lives (to LGW) and never again.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:26 pm

Without knowing the whole story, my first impression would be that TS balked at paying several thousand dollars in terminal fees, along with the hassles of clearing pax and luggage through CBSA.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Well now they're compounding the problem!

Weather at TO and in northern Ontario is playing havoc with schedules at YYZ, but while AC is still going to YYZ, Air Transat TS918 YVR-YYZ decided to divert to Ottawa even while still out over Lake Superior west of Sault Ste Marie! Weird!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
I've rarely seen so much blatant finger pointing from the airport authorities, either. YOW is being pretty clear that this wasn't on them:

In a statement issued late Tuesday afternoon, the airport authority disputed Air Transat's claims that no stairs were available.

"We had a gate available and air stairs ready in the event that the airline decided to deplane," the statement said.

The airport authority also said its staff was prepared to bring supplies beyond just bottled water to the stranded passengers, but never received clearance from the airline.
"We keep a supply of water, food, diapers and other personal hygiene necessities to support passenger needs in irregular operation scenarios, and were prepared to deploy these supplies," the authority said.

"Although our staff tried several times to contact the aircrew through the handlers to provide further assistance, the aircrew was non-communicative and did not take us up on our offers to assist further."

The airport authority also said its personnel urged the Air Transat flight crew to open the airplane's doors so fresh air could circulate, and offered to provide fans so that passengers could stay cool.

"Providing the best possible customer experience is a priority for the Ottawa International Airport Authority," the statement said.

"We are disappointed that Air Transat has not been forthcoming, transparent or accountable with information concerning their diverted flights."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...elay-1.4230048
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:07 pm

Air Transat - Held on Tarmac for 6 hours

Detained me for 6 hours without my permission and refused to allow me to go I would call that involuntary confinement - aka Kidnapping
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I just received the latest email from Air Transat...

It is titled "The Unlimited VIP Experience"

You would think with all the bad press at the moment that they would hold off on sending emails such as this!!!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:01 pm
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Transat response to the CTA

I would not exempt YOW just yet. Air Transat might actually be right...

Here's the other side of the story: (really well written, and an interesting read)

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/sites/default/files/airtransatresponse20170904.pdf
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, really sounded like YOW screwed the pooch.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I love how the folks at the CTA can’t even file AS’s response with the correct date.

In any case, if Air Transat actually made those numerous requests to YOW for fuel, catering and air stairs, it should come out in the investigation. I just find it extremely unlikely that an airport authority would refuse to provide a service for which they can charge significant $$$ just because of spite.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by YUL

Here's the other side of the story: (really well written, and an interesting read)

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/sites/default/...se20170904.pdf
The link doesn't work.....but the one in the quote does.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
here is the other side of the story

Originally Posted by YUL

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/sites/default/...se20170904.pdf
Not quite! The hearings resumed this week, and the passengers refuted everything Air Transat had to say:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...uiry-1.4353420
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:24 pm
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Not quite! The hearings resumed this week, and the passengers refuted everything Air Transat had to say:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...uiry-1.4353420
Not sure if you read both texts.

In their letter (among other things) AT pointed out the sequence of events that lead to the extended wait on the tarmac.

I don't see any passenger account that contradicts AT's sequence of events - that lead to the extended wait.

Can you please explain what exactly you mean by "passengers refuted everything AT had to say"? Especially when you mention "everything"...

I'm talking on what caused that long tarmac wait that brought in this whole disaster

Last edited by YUL; Oct 17, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.