Wiki Posts
Search

Aeromexico Upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Aeromexico Upgrade thread

I haven't been able to find any centralized thread about Upgrade, I thought we could share our successful and unsuccessful stories, as well as Q&A. I hope to build a database.

This thread is about paid upgrade creatively named Upgrade. I've seen posters from ST elites from other airlines, mostly from DL, asking about free upgrades. This thread won't answer those questions, I'd suggest you to ask under respective airline forum where you're a member.

As per FAQ 8, we earn miles according to originally purchased ticket.
https://world.aeromexico.com/en/busi...grade/?site=ca

As per T&C 6, louge access isn't included with Upgrade.
https://world.aeromexico.com/en/busi...grade/?site=ca

DL medallions st benefits. Scroll down and click on aeromexico:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/international-partner-skyteam-benefits.html

DL elites upgrading threads examples:
Aeromexico upgrades for DL SE+

update 1/20/18: added a link to dl medallions st benefits.

Last edited by maverikbc; Jan 20, 2018 at 1:15 pm
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Every airline credits you for what you bought not what you flew.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:41 am

As a Delta FO, I've been upgraded 3/6 flights this month, twice on MEX-JFK, and once on a regional flight OAX-MEX. For MEX-JFK, I asked at check-in and both cleared at the gate. For OAX-MEX, I was upgraded by the check-in agent without asking.

I did end up earning extra as Delta credited as I for MEX-JFK. I'll report back if the same happens on my other two upgrades as those just happened over the past weekend.
kthomas likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callaweii
As a Delta FO, I've been upgraded 3/6 flights this month, twice on MEX-JFK, and once on a regional flight OAX-MEX. For MEX-JFK, I asked at check-in and both cleared at the gate. For OAX-MEX, I was upgraded by the check-in agent without asking.

I did end up earning extra as Delta credited as I for MEX-JFK. I'll report back if the same happens on my other two upgrades as those just happened over the past weekend.
Thanks for posting your experience, but what I'm focusing in this thread is AM's product called 'Upgrade', it's a bidding process Y pax can bid for upgrades on their web site. I think Optiontown is famous for this business model. I know AM should've come up with more creative name, hence the capital U with upgrade in this thread.

I wonder how AM gives upgrading priority. Were those flights full in J? If I was running AM, I'd be more tempted to grant upgrades to pax who bid over $300 per segment than to some high rank ST members.

Last edited by maverikbc; Jul 6, 2017 at 9:13 pm
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by maverikbc
Thanks for posting your experience, but what I'm focusing in this thread is AM's product called 'Upgrade', it's a bidding process Y pax can bid for upgrades on their web site. I think Optiontown is famous for this business model. I know AM should've come up with more creative name, hence the capital U with upgrade in this thread.

I wonder how AM gives upgrading priority. Were those flights full in J? If I was running AM, I'd be more tempted to grant upgrades to pax who bid over $300 per segment than to some high rank ST members.
it depends on the route. For flights longer than 5 hours, $300 is not going to get you "Upgrade". They set a minimum amount.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by maverikbc

got it. For MEX-JFK, one of the flights had about 10+ seats open and the other had maybe 1 or 2. Both were on the 787-9.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL-PM

Were these AM ticketed/AM operated flights? I've had mixed luck. If I buy a ticket with DL on AM metal the answer is usually "nope", which is kind of ironic...
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by emancj
Were these AM ticketed/AM operated flights? I've had mixed luck. If I buy a ticket with DL on AM metal the answer is usually "nope", which is kind of ironic...
yep, they were all on AM ticketed and operated. I think there was an announcement back in May stating you'd be automatically added to the UG list but from the few times I've flown with AM since, I always asked and they had to add me manually.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: DL ✈️
yep, they were all on AM ticketed and operated. I think there was an announcement back in May stating you'd be automatically added to the UG list but from the few times I've flown with AM since, I always asked and they had to add me manually.
So did you end up receiving I-fare (J) miles bonuses for all upgraded flights?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by tomasdev
So did you end up receiving I-fare (J) miles bonuses for all upgraded flights?
yep, got bonus miles for both mex-jfk flights. one of the flights posted automatically, the other I had to send in my boarding pass for credit
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat - Oman Gold - Alaska MVP - Alitalia Ulisse | Accor Gold - Hilton Silver | Hertz PC
If i read correctly AM still upgrade Delta E/E+ members despite the "bid for upgrade" tool.

yep, got bonus miles for both mex-jfk flights. one of the flights posted automatically, the other I had to send in my boarding pass for credit
Surprised you got the J earning though!

I purchased a RT LAX-BOG on an OTA but I'm unable to add my Skymiles # on the manage booking page: any clue on how to do it? I even tried partners websites (GA use to be handy for this kind of operation) but so far I'm unsuccessful...

Side note FYI: I'm offered to bid 165$ to 240$ per flight, with an "instant upgrade" priced at 205$ for MEX-BOG and BOG-MEX.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
Similar situation, I have MEX-LIM-MEX at $160 each, and I'd totally pay it if it means bonus MQM, but unsure if I could get that free (probably not, but wasn't able to find that info anywhere on official sites)
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

I have a feeling that as long as we send a copy of boarding passes, we get business class bonus? It probably won't work on same airline (e.g. AM member traveling on AM), but other cases may work (e.g. AS member traveling on AM).
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flypremium
I purchased a RT LAX-BOG on an OTA but I'm unable to add my Skymiles # on the manage booking page: any clue on how to do it? I even tried partners websites (GA use to be handy for this kind of operation) but so far I'm unsuccessful...

Side note FYI: I'm offered to bid 165$ to 240$ per flight, with an "instant upgrade" priced at 205$ for MEX-BOG and BOG-MEX.
I don't think you can do that on aeromexico.com. I called them once to get my reservation code. I was offered to enter my FF#. I declined, because I wanted to do some research where to credit. She then offered me to sign up for their program... I'll wait till check in to enter my FF#. I'll probably credit to AS. I'm having another long haul trip with MU (a ST member), and I won't be able to credit to AS, so I may open a new account with somebody within ST. I've lost my faith with DL long ago, although miles with them never expire and sometimes they offer good deals like Tapachula-Vancouver for 17.5k one way with low fees and taxes.

YVR-MEX leg buy now is USD290, MEX-LIM leg buy now is USD205, both August and September, both inbound and outbound. All segments minimum bid is USD155.

While it's cheaper than buying J at time of booking, I'm not convinced even if I get them at mimium bid because all legs are with narrow-body, I've heard lounges at MEX is less than mediocre (and I can enter with my Priority Pass anyway), I may or may not get lounge access at YVR and LIM (YVR I don't care because of early morning departure).
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta Plat - Oman Gold - Alaska MVP - Alitalia Ulisse | Accor Gold - Hilton Silver | Hertz PC
Indeed I had to email them to have the SkyMiles added to my reservation.

However I was also told that I have to call them in order to get the E+ benefits such as preferred seats... How 2017 that sounds...

@ maverikbc: If you have upcoming flights with AM and MU I'd totally recommand you to credit them at Skymiles since both get you 100% mqm rate, even the cheapest economy RBD (if you are interested in status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.