Allegiant strict with personal item?

Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Allegiant strict with personal item?

Hello I'll be flying tomorrow on Allegiant for the first time and I was wondering if my rei vagabond backpack would slip by as a personal item. It's 21" so 5 inches too long. It worked on a recent trip with spirit and I'm hoping I can get a similar result tomorrow anybody have experience with bags of this size on Allegiant air?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Lets be honest, other individuals experience on a subjective matter will not be sufficient. What happened to others does not necessarily mean it will happen to you. Also, your experience on another carrier do not suffice. What will you do tomorrow if you are caught and are asked to check in the backpack and pay? Are you going to tell the GA that so and so on this website flew with Allegiant last week with a bigger bag and nothing happened to them, why me?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

that sure was a long way of saying "i don't know"
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Depends on the route and depends on the agent.

Is your bag collapsible where you can stuff it in if necessary? Allegiant size is odd compared to other airlines so I find it a difficult fit but I have a soft sided bag that's a bit too big. I underpack so it would fit.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by layoverdan
that sure was a long way of saying "i don't know"
Originally Posted by pitflyer
Depends on the route and depends on the agent.

Is your bag collapsible where you can stuff it in if necessary? Allegiant size is odd compared to other airlines so I find it a difficult fit but I have a soft sided bag that's a bit too big. I underpack so it would fit.
So, what was the outcome?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Not even a second look, from the gate agent although there was a 4 1/2 hour delay. Not sure if they go easy on you in those situations
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by layoverdan
Not even a second look, from the gate agent although there was a 4 1/2 hour delay. Not sure if they go easy on you in those situations
4.5 hour delay is a blessing on Allegiant.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Haha, just got on the plane home of course it's on time taking me FROM my vacation. No problems with the bag on the way home either
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:42 pm

I have found that whether I am flying Allegiant, Spirit, or Frontier, that the gate agents generally don't care at all so long as it the personal item is not some obviously too big hard-sided monstrosity. That said, when I am sitting at the gate area, I always sit with my back to the agent desk. No need to let them have a chance to see my bag easily for an extended period of time.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:51 pm

Honestly, I have never seen them take any notice when scanning your boarding pass whether it is marked Carry On Bag. I think quite a few people are taking 21" rollers who did not pay.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:00 pm
PGV

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I know this is an Allegiant thread but I think the following observation might apply to all the ULCCs.

At LGA the other day, while joining the TSA queue for a Spirit flight, I was briefly assessed by the private security/screening individuals checking the boarding passes. I normally carry a backpack on wheels that slightly exceeds personal item size. One screener asked the other, "Is this carry-on?", the other looked and shrugged so I was waved through.

I was once stopped at the gate for a Frontier flight for the same bag. I began an elaborate restructuring of items in the bag (it wouldn't have worked anyway) and because they wanted the flight to depart on time, again I was waved through.

I concur with the poster who stated to keep the bag away from the direct observation of screeners or gate/ticket agents.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by PGV
At LGA the other day, while joining the TSA queue for a Spirit flight, I was briefly assessed by the private security/screening individuals checking the boarding passes. I normally carry a backpack on wheels that slightly exceeds personal item size. One screener asked the other, "Is this carry-on?", the other looked and shrugged so I was waved through.
TSA shouldn't care about or enforce airline rules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.