AeroMexico Domestic to Int. Connection MEX

Old May 28, 17, 3:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UA 1K, AA EXPLAT, UA MM, DL Gold
Posts: 143
AeroMexico Domestic to Int. Connection MEX

Hey there experts. I need your help. We are looking to book a flight from PVR (Puerto Vallarta) to Boston that has a connection in Mexico City. We are traveling with 2 young children so logistics matter. The first flight is Aeromexico Connect and we have a 1 hr 15 min layover in MEX onto the Boston flight where we are traveling in Business Class. It looks like both flights are in and out of Terminal 2 in Mexico City, but I need specifics on the Domestic to International connections.

So my questions:
1) Can we check our bags all the way through without collecting them in MEX?
2) Is there any immigration check once we get in Mexico City? If yes, is it easy?
3) Is there additional security screening (scanning machines, etc) for the carry-ons again?
4) Do we qualify for lounge access in Puerto Vallarta?

Anything else anyone would advise with a 1 year old and 2 year old for the transfer? We already have the Benadryl for the flights

Thanks in advance, I have read through most of the existing threads and also called AeroMexico but needed a first hand and current assessment.
brysal is offline  
Old May 29, 17, 11:24 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: YUL
Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Posts: 942
When I flew Aeromexico Cancun-Mexico City-Montreal in 2015, I was able to check my luggage all the way through to Montreal without having to claim or re-check it in Mexico City. With an upgrade to business class on both legs, I also had lounge access in both Cancun and Mexico City. Not sure about Puerto Vallarta, but if you're flying economy on the first leg, perhaps not.

I honestly can't remember whether I cleared immigration in Cancun or in Mexico City on that trip. Sorry. I do know there is additional screening when you go to the gate for carry-ons, though. And it can be a bit slow.
segacs is offline  
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:58 am
  #3  
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MTY
Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by brysal View Post
The first flight is Aeromexico Connect and we have a 1 hr 15 min layover in MEX onto the Boston flight where we are traveling in Business Class. It looks like both flights are in and out of Terminal 2 in Mexico City, but I need specifics on the Domestic to International connections.
In MEX, AM operates only at T2 so that part is correct. 1:15 could be a bit tight if the flight gets delayed and if it arrives to a remote position instead of a jetway (depends on the plane type and gate availability). If time becomes really tight like the next flight is already boarding when you're arriving ask somebody in AM to let agents on the other flight know you're on your way (they should know, but might be worth to spare a minute or two for that).

Originally Posted by brysal View Post
1) Can we check our bags all the way through without collecting them in MEX?
In outgoing international itineraries like PVR-MEX-BOS AM will check your bags to your final destination, no need to collect them again unless told to do so. Bags need to be collected only the other way around (arriving international).

Originally Posted by brysal View Post
2) Is there any immigration check once we get in Mexico City? If yes, is it easy?
Mexico doesn't have outgoing immigration controls; formalities like letting immigration authorities know you're leaving are handled by airlines. So you should only need to go from one plane to the next and that's it.

Originally Posted by brysal View Post
3) Is there additional security screening (scanning machines, etc) for the carry-ons again?
Not that I know of at MEX T2 when arriving domestic as is your case, but sure that happens when arriving international, immediately after customs. Can happen too when arriving domestic at other airports, like MTY TB.

Originally Posted by brysal View Post
Anything else anyone would advise with a 1 year old and 2 year old for the transfer?
For the first flight try to seat in front so you can deplane first; if the plane doesn't get to a jetway but to a remote position you'll have to wait for other passengers anyway but at least you'd be on your way to the terminal in the first bus, with that connection time it could make a difference
sw3 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 17, 2:13 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,464
Originally Posted by brysal View Post
Hey there experts. I need your help. We are looking to book a flight from PVR (Puerto Vallarta) to Boston that has a connection in Mexico City.
Suggest you also look in Mexico forum where there is a whole thread about connections in MEX. May even be a sticky, but don't remember.
EmailKid is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: