Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit flights canceled at FLL; officials deny pilot strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass

http://wsvn.com/news/local/9-spirit-...-pilot-strike/
Old May 8, 2017, 7:09 am

MCO-CLE and MCO-CAK both cancelled this morning (8 May 2017) on Spirit.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Spirit is spawning some riot like conditions as well as it's employees seemingly have no answer for passengers.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:56 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Spirit is spawning some riot like conditions as well as it's employees seemingly have no answer for passengers.
Apparently those riot conditions did take hold (take with a grain of salt of course, but does look like some passengers got out of hand).

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/09/us/spi...ons/index.html

The front ticket counter at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport turned into chaos, and Broward County deputies stepped in to try restore the peace between passengers and airline employees.

Travelers stormed off an airplane after their flight was canceled and swarmed the ticket counter, where dozens of passengers were already waiting in line, passengers told CNN.

"Everyone was already aggravated about flight delays and the ridiculousness of standing in such a long line for hours, which Spirit Airlines did nothing to help, and then in walks these people off their flight raising a ruckus (and) cussing and screaming and they went straight to the counter," passenger Cindy Matthews Beard told CNN.

Video footage shows deputies struggling with travelers. Some were pulled aside from the crowd, while others were taken to the ground and placed in handcuffs. Three passengers were taken into custody, according to Broward County Sheriff's Office.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
I have heard that even though they don't interline seems like they are getting some passengers on other airlines at least what I am reading on fb from someone traveling from DTW to LAS they were put on WN last night
Old May 9, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
My last flight out of FLL a few months back was suppose to leave at 7AM. Everything showed on time then an hour before departure all of a sudden flight would be 3 hours late in departing. Agent had no idea why. Then it was determined they were missing a flight attendant do to call off. At FLL a crew base you don't have reserve crews in a situation like this. If it was at a smaller out station maybe understandable.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:43 am

Let's support the pilots, if they are, indeed, taking unofficial (wildcat) action.

The Spirit lawsuit against the union (which is trying to reign in their workers... boo) states, among other things, that pilots should stop writing up maintenance issues, stop any "work to rule" campaign (meaning following all the rules, safety policies, etc, despite that it can take extra time), and that they cannot not volunteer for extra flight time.

That's right. Spirit says the union should be sanctioned when some pilot somewhere doesn't volunteer. Doesn't sound all the voluntary, does it?

There are plenty of issues with the business unions and how they're run, so when workers take action on their own (despite the hand-wringing of the union leadership), they ought to be supported.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VicariousNonpayment
Let's support the pilots, if they are, indeed, taking unofficial (wildcat) action.

The Spirit lawsuit against the union (which is trying to reign in their workers... boo) states, among other things, that pilots should stop writing up maintenance issues, stop any "work to rule" campaign (meaning following all the rules, safety policies, etc, despite that it can take extra time), and that they cannot not volunteer for extra flight time.

That's right. Spirit says the union should be sanctioned when some pilot somewhere doesn't volunteer. Doesn't sound all the voluntary, does it?

There are plenty of issues with the business unions and how they're run, so when workers take action on their own (despite the hand-wringing of the union leadership), they ought to be supported.
NO, no support for pilots engaged in an illegal stop work action!

The airline may have issues but a wildcat strike by the pilots is unacceptable.

The customers of Spirit should be the first consideration. I'd fire any pilot or other employee who engages in an illegal strike.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; May 9, 2017 at 8:12 pm
Old May 9, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
NO, no support for pilots engage in an illegal stop work action!

The airline may have issues but a wildcat strike by the pilots is unacceptable.

The customers of Spirit should be the first consideration. I'd fire any pilot or other employee who engages in an illegal strike.
But it is not a strike, the pilots are just refusing OT. It is completely Spirit managements fault if they do not have the proper staff to run 1/5 of their operation without depending on OT...
Old May 9, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Blame it on the shortage of pilots. I'm sure overseas pilots would love a chance at flying US based airlines.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dls25
But it is not a strike, the pilots are just refusing OT. It is completely Spirit managements fault if they do not have the proper staff to run 1/5 of their operation without depending on OT...
The poster I responded to was suggesting support for pilots engaged in an illegal work action.

​​​​​​​Let's support the pilots, if they are, indeed, taking unofficial (wildcat) action.
I disagree with that point. If the work action is illegal they should be fired. TSNC!
Old May 9, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Federal court grants Spirit Airlines temporary restraining ordeR

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReutersBi...12806467604481
Old May 9, 2017, 2:30 pm

As Gordon Bethune once told me, "you can make a pizza so cheap than no one will buy it, and no one will eat it."

Spirit is so completely driven by the bottom line that they apparently don't have enough full time employees to run the airline without having staff volunteer for overtime. And, when pilots don't volunteer, they don't have enough pilots to operate their schedule. Not even close.

It's part of their culture, and it's coming back to bite them in the behind.

I feel sorry for the passengers. Except when I don't. Sorry that you are terribly inconvenienced and especially those whose lives are being messed up. But, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Spirit are bottom feeders, putting negative pressure on the industry. Those who fly with them enable this business model.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by HomerJay
As Gordon Bethune once told me, "you can make a pizza so cheap than no one will buy it, and no one will eat it."

Spirit is so completely driven by the bottom line that they apparently don't have enough full time employees to run the airline without having staff volunteer for overtime. And, when pilots don't volunteer, they don't have enough pilots to operate their schedule. Not even close.

It's part of their culture, and it's coming back to bite them in the behind.

I feel sorry for the passengers. Except when I don't. Sorry that you are terribly inconvenienced and especially those whose lives are being messed up. But, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Spirit are bottom feeders, putting negative pressure on the industry. Those who fly with them enable this business model.
This^

Or as I like to say, Spirit is the "People of Wal-Mart" of the airline industry.

Bet those walk-up fares weren't cheap either.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:31 pm

This isn't necessarily an "us" versus "them" situation. The fact that the pilots union may be engaging in an illegal work stoppage does not preclude the fact that Spirit is a horribly managed company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.