AM (Aeroméxico): Best J 788 / 789 Seats

Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tiomo17
Hello, I am flying AM on the 787-900 In AM+ (Premium economy) on an overnight flight from Mexico City to Paris next month. Does anyone have advice on whether Row 12, 13, or 14 is best? It looks like 12 is a bulkhead, more legroom perhaps? But tray table in the armrest, no floor storage., babies often assigned to this row, etc. Seatguru colors Row 12 green and the other rows normal, but not clear to me from the description if the extra legroom compensates for the downside. Any advice welcome. Thanks so much!
I've only sat in row 12 on shorter flights but I would say avoid 12C and 12G as cabin/crew tend to walk into your space.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Please. AM + and premium economy are totally different breeds. There is no such thing as premium economy in any U.S. and Mexican airlines. AM + is just regular economy, but perhaps one inch more legroom. AM +, just like Delta Comfort, never spells out exactly how big the extra leg room is. I have to wonder why.

Last edited by Mama; Oct 9, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Mama
There is no such thing as premium economy in any U.S. and Mexican airlines.
Not true, AA just introduced their PE. It's still being rolled out, but it's bookable and a definite step up from Main Cabin Extra.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-economy.jsp

Delta is also rolling out Delta Select, which is already available on some aircraft.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...m-economy.html
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:05 am

Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by callaweii
I've only sat in row 12 on shorter flights but I would say avoid 12C and 12G as cabin/crew tend to walk into your space.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I am taking a group of 8 on the JFK-MEX flight in a few weeks in J. We booked out the 6 seats in the mini cabin and 7D/F for the remaining 2 seats. Wish we could have fit all 8 of us in the mini cabin as I think it would have been a blast. I put a married couple in front of us so they can just stare at each other the whole flight while we make the self-service bar our own.

I'll report back after the flight and let ya'll know how it goes.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K; and a bunch of hotel statuses
Hi, I haven't flown AM, and therefore come to this thread/group for help. Normally, the two most important factors for me are 1) footrest space (not all J seats are created equal) and 2) noise from galley or the row behind. I am booked on a trip with both 787-8 and 787-9, and wonder if there are any recommendation?

On 787-8, does the bulkhead seats (Row 1&6) offer more legroom? This is usually true with other airlines such as UA, but I am not sure with AM.

Also, anyone recalls which door AM uses to disembark in the states? I would guess it's second door left?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by terryversay
Hi, I haven't flown AM, and therefore come to this thread/group for help. Normally, the two most important factors for me are 1) footrest space (not all J seats are created equal) and 2) noise from galley or the row behind. I am booked on a trip with both 787-8 and 787-9, and wonder if there are any recommendation?
There couldn't be a 788 footwell worse than than the D seats. (There might be equals).
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K; and a bunch of hotel statuses
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
There couldn't be a 788 footwell worse than than the D seats. (There might be equals).
what are the D seats?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:17 pm

Searching for firsthand knowledge of AM 788

Posted on another thread but thought I’d try here as well. Booked on MEX-NRT 14.5 hours on 788 in premier. Now trying to make the right choice on seat. Want window pair (wife and me) and currently have mini-cabin but I’m persuaded by this thread that it’s proximity to bassinet / row 1 of Y is not the best call.

like the bulkhead space however - anyone flown 1A/1B? Galley on opposite side so maybe not too bad?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
I fly this plane frequently - I routinely default to rows 4-6. Between the bathrooms/economy I think the mini cabin is an avoid. I think the bulkhead at 1A/B is not ideal, but an upgrade over the mini cabin.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by RFNJ
I fly this plane frequently - I routinely default to rows 4-6. Between the bathrooms/economy I think the mini cabin is an avoid. I think the bulkhead at 1A/B is not ideal, but an upgrade over the mini cabin.
Thanks for the reply!

Aren’t 5&6 the minicabin rows? So you like or don’t like those? You’d recommend the smaller footwell over row 1 because of galley proximity?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
My apologies - I was referring to the 787-9 configuration. On the 787-8 I will opt for mid-main cabin. I don't have a problem with the footwells - but I am 5'10".
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by zpaul
Hi, I have my first flights ever on AM coming up next month. On the SCL-MEX leg I'll be on the 789 with 1-2-1, and on the way back on the 788 with the 2-2-2 configs. Both of them have "mini-cabins" in the back - row 10 on the 789 and row 6 on the 788. Any benefit to these rows, or are they noisy? Any recommendations for "best" seats?

¡Mil gracias!
I flew MEX-SCL on the 789. I was in seat 1A in a 1-2-1 config. It was the best seat Id ever been in on any airline. I couldnt see any other passengers and had 4 windows. That seat had a ton of space around it too.

The 788 with 2-2-2 on the return was much more cramped. Little storage around the seat. A lot like an old British Airways plane buz class configuration.
zpaul and RFNJ like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K
i just booked an AM award for mid June...TIJ-MEX-LHR. For the mean time, I selected 1D on the 788. Seat has a large footwell but I worry how noisy things could get with the galley.

For those who've flown on this plane and sat on a window seat, how difficult is it really to leap over the pax on the aisle seat? It seems the seat drops fairly low in bed mode, so it should not be too tough.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
i just booked an AM award for mid June...TIJ-MEX-LHR. For the mean time, I selected 1D on the 788. Seat has a large footwell but I worry how noisy things could get with the galley.

For those who've flown on this plane and sat on a window seat, how difficult is it really to leap over the pax on the aisle seat? It seems the seat drops fairly low in bed mode, so it should not be too tough.
I’ve been trying to find the same info. People have mentioned “oh I avoid row 1” but haven’t been able to find a good report on the experience and the trade offs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.