Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AM (Aeroméxico): Best J 788 / 789 Seats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by zpaul
Flew the return on the 787-800 which is quite nice, as well, the seats were comfortable, but there is no bar area as there is on the 789. Since there is only a functional galley with no bells and whistles between the front and back cabins, there didn't seem to be as much difference, but the mini-cabin definitely had noise from Economy.

I didn't notice the rows missing a window on the 789, but I'm pretty sure 3 and 4 have both windows (it was night both ways so I didn't really notice). On the 788 the last row of the main J cabin has only one window.
I'm happy to hear you say that. I just booked a couple tickets from JFK-SCL through MEX and both are on the 787-8. While it was tough to find any information on this particular AM product, what I did read on AM in general was starting to freak me out And make me wonder if I wouldn't have been better off flying another carrier econ. Can you give any comments on the actual in-flight service, food, etc.? Really interested to hear about this based on all I've read.

Also, all of these stories of lost luggage and missed flights do to it has me worried. On the way down we have 4 hours and the way back we have 3. Should there be any issue getting bags back and rechecking?

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by ARH2
I'm happy to hear you say that. I just booked a couple tickets from JFK-SCL through MEX and both are on the 787-8. While it was tough to find any information on this particular AM product, what I did read on AM in general was starting to freak me out And make me wonder if I wouldn't have been better off flying another carrier econ. Can you give any comments on the actual in-flight service, food, etc.? Really interested to hear about this based on all I've read.

Also, all of these stories of lost luggage and missed flights do to it has me worried. On the way down we have 4 hours and the way back we have 3. Should there be any issue getting bags back and rechecking?

Thanks!
Hi ARH2, happy to give you any thoughts that I have, but I was in Business, and based on my highlight in your message above I think you're saying you're in Economy. I did have a colleague in Economy on the same flight and he said that the food was far and away the worst he's ever had on any airline in the Americas, and I must agree with that statement in Business, as well. I chose the vegetarian option both ways because the other options just didn't sound good, and it was basic pasta both ways. We both missed LATAM's in-flight service, both J and Y, and I would definitely fly with them given a choice (the J ticket was half the price on AM so that was the deciding factor for this trip!). The service itself was friendly, though.

I had direct flights both ways, so I didn't have to claim and recheck my luggage. It seems that all flights from South America receive extra security screening for the luggage before it is delivered; as I mentioned it was 90 minutes before it came out. Are you sure you have to claim and recheck your bags? The terminal is pretty large, and if it does take 90 minutes for you to get your luggage from SCL, that leaves you less than 90 minutes before boarding for JFK.

The Aeroméxico lounges in MEX are absolutely horrendous. There are two, and in the first one that you come to after clearing security there was construction noise the entire time we were there. It was cramped, dark, and had few power points. As well, service is only by relatively unfriendly "waiters" who circulate and take orders, no walk-up bar service. That lounge closed at 10:00pm, and there was an enormous exodus to the other lounge further down the concourse (we left about 20 minutes before closing so we had no line). The other lounge was equally as full, poorly arranged, and was standing-room only, with the same style service. I recommend that you head directly to the second one and get a space there, and then you don't have to make the trek later in the evening.

My opinion is that overall Aeroméxico was a very underwhelming experience. While the hard product on the 788 and 789 was excellent, and the flight attendants were very good, the ground experience and in-flight food was far, far below what you would get with LATAM or Avianca.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I had direct flights both ways, so I didn't have to claim and recheck my luggage. It seems that all flights from South America receive extra security screening for the luggage before it is delivered; as I mentioned it was 90 minutes before it came out. Are you sure you have to claim and recheck your bags? The terminal is pretty large, and if it does take 90 minutes for you to get your luggage from SCL, that leaves you less than 90 minutes before boarding for JFK.
Once you get your luggage, at least the baggage re-drop (to the far right) is quick. And then, there's a quick lane to security on the far opposite side (there is an escalator) before you go out into the general circulation area. Bag drop and security should take about 15 minutes, total.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:45 am

Thumbs up

Hi ARH2, happy to give you any thoughts that I have, but I was in Business, and based on my highlight in your message above I think you're saying you're in Economy. I did have a colleague in Economy on the same flight and he said that the food was far and away the worst he's ever had on any airline in the Americas, and I must agree with that statement in Business, as well. I chose the vegetarian option both ways because the other options just didn't sound good, and it was basic pasta both ways. We both missed LATAM's in-flight service, both J and Y, and I would definitely fly with them given a choice (the J ticket was half the price on AM so that was the deciding factor for this trip!). The service itself was friendly, though.

The Aeroméxico lounges in MEX are absolutely horrendous. There are two, and in the first one that you come to after clearing security there was construction noise the entire time we were there. It was cramped, dark, and had few power points. As well, service is only by relatively unfriendly "waiters" who circulate and take orders, no walk-up bar service. That lounge closed at 10:00pm, and there was an enormous exodus to the other lounge further down the concourse (we left about 20 minutes before closing so we had no line). The other lounge was equally as full, poorly arranged, and was standing-room only, with the same style service. I recommend that you head directly to the second one and get a space there, and then you don't have to make the trek later in the evening.

My opinion is that overall Aeroméxico was a very underwhelming experience. While the hard product on the 788 and 789 was excellent, and the flight attendants were very good, the ground experience and in-flight food was far, far below what you would get with LATAM or Avianca.
zpaul, thanks so much for the info. I am actually in business, and like you booked this particular flight because of the price point and I was purchasing tickets for the entire family; otherwise I am normally a loyal Delta One traveler flying through ATL to SCL. My parents with whom I am traveling have never flown an international business class product so I am glad to hear that the hard product and service is acceptable. While its disappointing to hear about the food, at least everyone will be able to enjoy a few drinks and to fly more comfortable than they have in the past and this was my biggest concern. At $1700 per ticket compared to 3 times that with Delta, I couldn't pass it up. Anyway, thanks again for your comments.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Once you get your luggage, at least the baggage re-drop (to the far right) is quick. And then, there's a quick lane to security on the far opposite side (there is an escalator) before you go out into the general circulation area. Bag drop and security should take about 15 minutes, total.
Eastbay, thank you, that is very helpful. Based on what you said, Im assuming that we should be ok with a 90 minute connection on the way back. Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ARH2
zpaul, thanks so much for the info. I am actually in business, and like you booked this particular flight because of the price point and I was purchasing tickets for the entire family; otherwise I am normally a loyal Delta One traveler flying through ATL to SCL. My parents with whom I am traveling have never flown an international business class product so I am glad to hear that the hard product and service is acceptable. While its disappointing to hear about the food, at least everyone will be able to enjoy a few drinks and to fly more comfortable than they have in the past and this was my biggest concern. At $1700 per ticket compared to 3 times that with Delta, I couldn't pass it up. Anyway, thanks again for your comments.
One work of advice: stay away from the "Mexican white wine" option. I only had two glasses and the headache was rough...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: SK Gold (*G)
Do you remember which champagne they served?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kajjan85
Do you remember which champagne they served?
No, sorry, but it was drinkable, nothing to write home about.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, sorry, but it was drinkable, nothing to write home about.
You wouldn't write home about it, but it was clearly something to write FT about

It seems to have been Jacquart Brut for some time. I assume it still is.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:15 pm

Hard product on 787-9 is just excellent. There are no bad seats, row 5 has just 1 window though. For whatever reason I found the seat to be even more comfortable/easier to use/more private than the Air France one.

Entertainment screen was huge, selection just ok.

Food on AM is well below industry average. Regional flight breakfast omlette I had this morning was simply awful. But I was hungry. So I ate it.

On the 789 JFK-MEX flight last night there were only 2 choices of entrees and as much as I wanted to try business class hamburger (sic!) they've ran out, and I was informed that "Pasta only left, it's ok?"...

...Yeah, so service wise, I did notice a "shuttering stereotypes" section on AM's website, a message with which I fully agree, but unfortunately they still have a long way to go when it comes to establishing a consistent, world class level of service. My section was serviced by a stewardess whom actions can only be described as "a busy mother getting your meal ready just before heading off to work" - throwing food on the table, spilling drinks ("oups! "), forgetting things...

I guess it helps if you speak Spanish, or can build a rapport based on other things, but either way don't expect a kind of service westerners are accustomed to. I guess it's a good thing though, not everyone can be made the same...

So yeah, if you want to travel comfortably, you don't fly to eat and don't mind when staff just leaves you alone for the post-meal part of the trip... Aeromexico is a way to go.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Bag drop and security should take about 15 minutes, total.
I would totally disagree on this.
In additional, the immigration line is always outrageously long. Minimum of one hour wait in line seems to be normal.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: SK Gold (*G)
My flight MEX-AMS with the 789 got changed to 788 with 2-2-2 config... :/ The flight is not for another 4-5 months though. Question to AM frequent flyers - is there still at chance they'll make another equipment change back to the 789?
Old May 5, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mama
I would totally disagree on this.
In additional, the immigration line is always outrageously long. Minimum of one hour wait in line seems to be normal.
I am talking about bag drop (after customs) and the short security line up the escalator for connections only - not about immigration/customs.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:51 pm
Suspended

I am talking about bag drop (after customs) and the short security line up the escalator for connections only - not about immigration/customs.
exactly, the security line up the escalator, after your drop off the bag, is more than 15 minutes. sometime they make you wait downstairs because the space is limited upstairs and the line up there is too long and too crowded.
This security line is IN ADDITION to (and after) the immigration line and luggage claim. The whole process make the connection at MEX a horrible experience.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:42 pm

AM 787-900: Which AM+ Row is best for an 11-hour overnight?

Hello, I am flying AM on the 787-900 In AM+ (Premium economy) on an overnight flight from Mexico City to Paris next month. Does anyone have advice on whether Row 12, 13, or 14 is best? It looks like 12 is a bulkhead, more legroom perhaps? But tray table in the armrest, no floor storage., babies often assigned to this row, etc. Seatguru colors Row 12 green and the other rows normal, but not clear to me from the description if the extra legroom compensates for the downside. Any advice welcome. Thanks so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.