Aeromexico Club Premier Taxes and Fees

Old Feb 23, 17, 2:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 50
Aeromexico Club Premier Taxes and Fees

I am looking to book an award flight from Mexico City. I see varying information in regards to whether or not there are fuel surcharges... etc from club premier. Where can I see approximately how much I will have to pay in economy class to South America?

Thanks,
MG
mjgoldstein9 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 17, 1:53 am
  #2  
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MTY
Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 134
You have to log into your account and do as if you were going to book the flight, eventually you'll see how much money you'd have to pay for the specific itinerary you selected - no other way around that except for calling by phone.

Unlike other airlines where you use the points/miles and pay just the taxes —and exactly the same taxes of a paid ticket, so your points/miles cover the full fare price—, Club Premier doesn't work like that. You'll have to pay the taxes plus some money on top. This charge has the obscure name of "Cargos aéreos" and to me it looks like it's something they do so they don't lose so much money when redeeming points. It's not a fuel surcharge that everyone with a ticket pays, just a charge they apply to award tickets. My take is that when quoting an award ticket they do something like consider a predetermined monetary value of the points, check the actual paid fare for the selected flights, deduct the monetary value of the required points from that fare, and charge the rest as "Cargos aéreos". They will also charge a ticketing fee on top of that even if you book by yourself on the website.

Last year I quoted something like 80000 points and about 8000 MXN for a Mexico-Europe roundtrip. Not a good value considering that good deals could and can still be found to Europe for about 13000 MXN so I passed on that.

My suggestion would be to quote on the Club Premier website so you can see how much you'd have to pay, then check the regular fare prices for the same route on any airline, or if you're flexible on the dates and connections compare with some benchmark for good deals that pop up frequently or not-so-frequently (like Mexico City to Colombia, Ecuador or Peru for less than 300 USD) and evaluate if the difference in money is worth the points you'd spend... it might not be worth it.

As to compare, last year the value of the points for hotels was about 0.5625 US cents per point. So using 10000 points for hotels was a value of about 56.25 USD.

High season economy award tickets to South America North (Colombia, Ecuador, Peru...) are 60000 points round trip. The value of those 60000 points for hotels is about 337 USD. So unless you need to book a flight urgently for a particular date and the prices are really high, you might be better off waiting for a good airfare and using the points for hotels or for some other flight that might be worth it. Generally speaking it wouldn't be very reasonable to pay 60000 points (worth 337 USD in hotels) plus taxes, "cargos aéreos" and ticketing fees if the same flight can be bought upfront for 250 USD.

I've never tried to use Club Premier points for SkyTeam awards though, so I don't know if they do the same "cargos aéreos" thing for those.
sw3 is offline  
Old May 12, 17, 12:32 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ
Programs: UA SILVER, PP, AMEX PLAT, SPG G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select
Posts: 391
Originally Posted by sw3 View Post
You have to log into your account and do as if you were going to book the flight, eventually you'll see how much money you'd have to pay for the specific itinerary you selected - no other way around that except for calling by phone.

Unlike other airlines where you use the points/miles and pay just the taxes —and exactly the same taxes of a paid ticket, so your points/miles cover the full fare price—, Club Premier doesn't work like that. You'll have to pay the taxes plus some money on top. This charge has the obscure name of "Cargos aéreos" and to me it looks like it's something they do so they don't lose so much money when redeeming points. It's not a fuel surcharge that everyone with a ticket pays, just a charge they apply to award tickets. My take is that when quoting an award ticket they do something like consider a predetermined monetary value of the points, check the actual paid fare for the selected flights, deduct the monetary value of the required points from that fare, and charge the rest as "Cargos aéreos". They will also charge a ticketing fee on top of that even if you book by yourself on the website.

Last year I quoted something like 80000 points and about 8000 MXN for a Mexico-Europe roundtrip. Not a good value considering that good deals could and can still be found to Europe for about 13000 MXN so I passed on that.

My suggestion would be to quote on the Club Premier website so you can see how much you'd have to pay, then check the regular fare prices for the same route on any airline, or if you're flexible on the dates and connections compare with some benchmark for good deals that pop up frequently or not-so-frequently (like Mexico City to Colombia, Ecuador or Peru for less than 300 USD) and evaluate if the difference in money is worth the points you'd spend... it might not be worth it.

As to compare, last year the value of the points for hotels was about 0.5625 US cents per point. So using 10000 points for hotels was a value of about 56.25 USD.

High season economy award tickets to South America North (Colombia, Ecuador, Peru...) are 60000 points round trip. The value of those 60000 points for hotels is about 337 USD. So unless you need to book a flight urgently for a particular date and the prices are really high, you might be better off waiting for a good airfare and using the points for hotels or for some other flight that might be worth it. Generally speaking it wouldn't be very reasonable to pay 60000 points (worth 337 USD in hotels) plus taxes, "cargos aéreos" and ticketing fees if the same flight can be bought upfront for 250 USD.

I've never tried to use Club Premier points for SkyTeam awards though, so I don't know if they do the same "cargos aéreos" thing for those.
Is this true for MEX-USA flights?

I got all the way to the checkout screen (i have zero points since I would be transferring from MR) and all it said was I owe points no cash. I don't want to transfer MR if it turns out I have to pay a fee on top of it (since the fee sounds a bit exorbitant)
theboss7593 is offline  
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:15 am
  #4  
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MTY
Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by theboss7593 View Post
Is this true for MEX-USA flights?

I got all the way to the checkout screen (i have zero points since I would be transferring from MR) and all it said was I owe points no cash. I don't want to transfer MR if it turns out I have to pay a fee on top of it (since the fee sounds a bit exorbitant)
Unfortunately they do the same "cargos aéreos" and "ticketing fee" scams whatever the route. If you got $0 it's definitely wrong because at the very least, even in the unlikely event of $0 of "cargos aéreos" they should have shown a 400 MXN ticketing fee.

Unless you can know for sure how many points and $ you'd need, and it's a good valuation of the points, and the transfer is applied immediately, I'd very much advise against transferring MR points to AM... There should be better and more valuable uses for those MR points
sw3 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 17, 5:57 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ
Programs: UA SILVER, PP, AMEX PLAT, SPG G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select
Posts: 391
Originally Posted by sw3 View Post
Unfortunately they do the same "cargos aéreos" and "ticketing fee" scams whatever the route. If you got $0 it's definitely wrong because at the very least, even in the unlikely event of $0 of "cargos aéreos" they should have shown a 400 MXN ticketing fee.

Unless you can know for sure how many points and $ you'd need, and it's a good valuation of the points, and the transfer is applied immediately, I'd very much advise against transferring MR points to AM... There should be better and more valuable uses for those MR points
Cool thanks for the insight. I'm still waiting for the fare to come down in F right now.

CUN-MEX-PVR is $483 (2 day stopover in MEX) and I can do that in coach for $120 lol. If it goes back to where it was $273 which I stupidly didn't take I will take it.
theboss7593 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 18, 1:23 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75K
Posts: 993
sorry to revive this old thread but I couldn't find an alternative and I wasnt sure if I should have started a new one. But I just noticed that, in the last few months, AM devalued their award chart by A LOT. they gutted it! All the sweet spots from before have been wiped away. It seems like a 50-70% price increase across the board FOR BUSINESS CLASS awards.

For example:

USA-Europe: used to be 128,000kmp round trip in Business (80k miles round trip)...now it's 220,000-228,000kmp (137.5k-142.5k miles round trip)
USA-Middle East: used to be 160,000kmp round trip in business (100k miles round trip)...now it's 257,000-285,000kmp (160.6k-178.1k miles round trip)

Did anyone get notice of this????

Last edited by atcanobbio; Jul 20, 18 at 10:58 am
atcanobbio is offline  
Old Jul 20, 18, 10:33 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 82,283
Originally Posted by atcanobbio View Post
sorry to revive this old thread but I couldn't find an alternative and I wasnt sure if I should have started a new one. But I just noticed that, in the last few months, AM devalued their award chart by A LOT. they gutted it! All the sweet spots from before have been wiped away. It seems like a 50-70% price increase across the board.

For example:

USA-Europe: used to be 128,000kmp round trip (80k miles round trip)...now it's 220,000-228,000kmp (137.5k-142.5k miles round trip)
USA-Middle East: used to be 160,000kmp round trip (100k miles round trip)...now it's 257,000-285,000kmp (160.6k-178.1k miles round trip)

Did anyone get notice of this????
Is this coach or business class?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 20, 18, 10:57 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75K
Posts: 993
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is this coach or business class?
my examples were for business....i just edited my post to clarify


thanks
atcanobbio is offline  
Old Jul 26, 18, 8:16 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Mexico
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 524
I noticed AM changed everything, but they did do some ok things. Before I used to find a flight to Chicago for 38000 miles plus 6000 mxn in fees. When the flight without miles was 6500. However, with new scheme it was quoting me 60000 miles return but now only 1900 mxn in fees. I haven't got time to do the maths, but I think for certain types of redemption things are better and for others worse.

One thing that does suck is they have got rid of their Monday 50pc off deals. Now Monday is Max 20pc off with reward flights. I once got 45000 miles (half the usual) to Paris and back and only 6200 of taxes. Feels a bit like paying BAs fuel surcharges.
TTmex is online now  
Old Jul 31, 18, 3:28 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75K
Posts: 993
Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
I noticed AM changed everything, but they did do some ok things. Before I used to find a flight to Chicago for 38000 miles plus 6000 mxn in fees. When the flight without miles was 6500. However, with new scheme it was quoting me 60000 miles return but now only 1900 mxn in fees. I haven't got time to do the maths, but I think for certain types of redemption things are better and for others worse.

One thing that does suck is they have got rid of their Monday 50pc off deals. Now Monday is Max 20pc off with reward flights. I once got 45000 miles (half the usual) to Paris and back and only 6200 of taxes. Feels a bit like paying BAs fuel surcharges.
i dont have any experiece booking AM awards. I just knew about their sweet spots but i never booked anything. I had no idea about the Monday 50% off either!!!!! 20% off is still not bad though. Does this discount only apply to AM flights or Skyteam flights as well?

are you saying that AM's new surcharges are as high as BA?
atcanobbio is offline  
Old Aug 1, 18, 8:41 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Mexico
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 524
Hi, sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that their surcharges were as bad as BA before, if not worse. However, the new changes seem to show that the charges have come down, but the number of miles are up. So I suppose if you can pick up the bonus miles from credit cards like AMEX, you're getting more bang for your buck now than before.

On other news, what an absolute miracle about the AM flight yesterday in Durango. I've flown the DRO MEX route at least 4 or 5 times in the past 6 years. So happy to read everyone walked away alive.
TTmex is online now  
Old Sep 24, 18, 11:49 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 27,389
Anyone know what the policy is on stopover and open jaws? An agent said I could do DFW-UIO and return from BOG with one stopover in MEX for the same number of points - 70K. He did not seem confident, so wanted to check if this is true.
UA Fan is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread