Flying a Low Cost Airline - Allegiant Air

Old Jan 21, 16, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage

I will be flying Allegiant Air for the first time, out of PIE (Clearwater, FL) What can I expect as far as quality of the aircraft, boarding experience, 'on time' record, overhead bin space (I had to pay for bin space for my carry-on!)

Anyone with experience flying this airline?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 21, 16, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
I've flown them for 1 round-trip (MCI-SFB) on a $44 promotional fare.

My flights were uneventful, reasonably on-time. I had no need to interact much with Allegiant personnel, so I can't really speak to their service.

The mobile app functioned correctly. We had two PNR's, a 1 person PNR and a 3 person PNR. We did not pay for any extras, and the 3 person PNR was assigned contiguous seats in a single row. The 1 person PNR was assigned aisle seats. We checked in reasonably close to T-24 hours, although not exactly like one would for Southwest. It was easy to use a single phone to show all four boarding passes at both TSA and the gate. Once you check-in, the BP images store in the app itself, which is nice.

The aircraft both directions were MD-88s, manufactured in 1988 and 1989. They spent most of their lives serving Aeromexico before entering the Allegiant fleet in 2007.

Seat pitch was in the 31" range - kind of like flying Economy with no status on a legacy. It wasn't exactly comfortable, but it was *not* a Spirit experience - I'll give Allegiant credit for that.

Overhead bins will be the same size as any other airline. Because they charge for larger carry-ons, there is ample room. We flew with underseat backpacks, but we would have had room to put them overhead if we had wanted to once we were up in the air.

Boarding was actually pretty quick. Silver lining of people being very limited in what they can bring onboard.

In short, I had a pleasant experience because I didn't have to talk to anyone and the flights operated normally. You probably want to find someone who has lived through IROPS...how does Allegiant support passengers once they start delaying/canceling flights? That's where a lot of ULCC's get dicey...although if you don't hold elite status with a major it's probably not much worse than what you'd get from anyone else.

Last edited by pinniped; Jan 21, 16 at 9:29 am
Old Jan 21, 16, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

If the weather cooperates you will be fine. If the equipment cooperates you will be fine. When everything goes as planned it's a normal economy flight.

If things go wrong - as they say at the start of every boxing match - be prepared to protect yourself at all times.
Old Jan 21, 16, 2:30 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Be careful if you decide to pay the extra charge for advance seat selection...if you're not at the gate when they announce that boarding, you miss out. In the case of a colleague (traveling with another person) who did just that, he was in the adjacent washroom just before boarding commenced having a quick pre-flight pee and was gone maybe two minutes. In that interim, Allegiant gate staff had already announced pre-boarding, given away his seat and both he and his companion forfeited their assigned seats and were sent to the back of the line.
Old Jan 21, 16, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips and info. I knew I could count on FlyerTalk folks like pinniped. I like knowing so I can be prepared for the unknown.
Thanks CZAMFlyer, for that good tip.
I hope the weather cooperates, Firstinflight.
Old Jan 21, 16, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Myriad threads in Other North and South American Airlines forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...giant-air.html
Old Jan 21, 16, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
Myriad threads in Other North and South American Airlines forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...giant-air.html
Thanks...
Moving thread to Other North and South American Airlines Forum. You will definitely find discussions of Allegiant there.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 22, 16, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
Thanks for this link, UAPremExecflyer. This was very informative as well as the other FTers.
Old Jan 22, 16, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k View Post
Thanks...
Moving thread to Other North and South American Airlines Forum. You will definitely find discussions of Allegiant there.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Before posting my question in TravelBuzz, I used 'search' for anything regarding Allegiant and very little came up which led me to select TravelBuzz as my location for my post.
Much as I like the FT website program, finding the proper thread can be confusing.
Thanks, moderator.
Old Jan 23, 16, 12:59 am
Old Jan 25, 16, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer View Post
Be careful if you decide to pay the extra charge for advance seat selection...if you're not at the gate when they announce that boarding, you miss out. In the case of a colleague (traveling with another person) who did just that, he was in the adjacent washroom just before boarding commenced having a quick pre-flight pee and was gone maybe two minutes. In that interim, Allegiant gate staff had already announced pre-boarding, given away his seat and both he and his companion forfeited their assigned seats and were sent to the back of the line.
This was true at one point, when they did open boarding after boarding everyone with seat assignments first.

However, now everyone gets an assigned seat. You can be the last one to board and still get your assigned seat.
Old Jan 29, 16, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Wow. Make a note of that tail number... I don't think I flew this one, but it is definitely in the same flock of Mad Dogs that I did fly. The flock that flew for Aeromexico from 89 to 07 and then Allegiant since then...