Wiki Posts
Search

NewLeaf: A New Canadian LCC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
NewLeaf: A New Canadian LCC

Looks like NewLeaf has opened reservations after a press conference today in YHM. The first flight is on February 12.

Airports served are YHM, YWG, YXX, YLW, YXE, YQR, and YHZ. They advertise fares "as low as $89" but I'm not sure which route that's on –.checking YHM-YHZ it's $99 on launch day. It'll be interesting to see if this puts some downward pressure on AC/WS fares. CBC reports that "even the highest priced route and seat will cap out at $149, one way, for a no-frills ticket" which would be pretty incredible for anybody traveling from Hamilton to the West Coast. I'm not sure where route-specific pricing and schedules are listed on the website.

(EDIT:
Kelowna to Saskatoon - $89
Kelowna to Regina - $89
Abbotsford to Saskatoon
Abbotsford to Regina - $89
Kelowna to Winnipeg - $99
Winnipeg to Hamilton - $99
Hamilton to Halifax - $99
Hamilton to Saskatoon - $119
Hamilton to Regina - $119
Abbottsford to Winnipeg - $119
Hamilton to Kelowna - $149)

Launch route map:

Seems like their optional fees have a similar structure to Spirit, with $25 for a carry-on or checked bag (if paid at booking).

Last edited by JamilD; Jan 6, 2016 at 10:49 am
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Nothing that I can see yet re. seat pitch. For the flight times in question, that's kind of important to me...

When I'm back in Europe, my rule of thumb is nothing over 2 hours on a LCC with crappy seat pitch - and that's only if O&D *really* match my needs... no question that YHM will be convenient for me, but none of their current destinations are ones that I plan to fly to.

The 1-2 trips I make to YVR each year are to Vancouver itself (and I have friends that I typically spend time with that live on Sea Island, the rest are 15-30 mins away). Can't see YXX being remotely useful as a substitute (but I'm sure many in the greater Vancouver area might).

I wonder if this will put any price pressure on ex-YHM WS prices?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Interesting route structure. They've left Alberta and Quebec off the route map entirely. I assume they feel that YEG and YYC are too competitive, and YUL probably doesn't fit their business model. Well, good luck to 'em!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by sofasurfer
Nothing that I can see yet re. seat pitch. For the flight times in question, that's kind of important to me...
Yeah, that was my thought too. Seems like a lot of longer routes for an LCC, but I feel like that's where a large price discrepancy can be exploited. Can't really bring down YYZ-YUL down too much from Air Transat's ~$90 one-way flights. But Spirit makes longer flights work, so I guess there's people that are willing to endure it.

I'd imagine most will still fly WS or AC even if it is a couple hundred $ more expensive, but presumably this is targeting a market that previously wouldn't be able to afford to pay those prices very often.

Originally Posted by sofasurfer
I wonder if this will put any price pressure on ex-YHM WS prices?
WS only does YHM-YYC if I remember correctly, which is probably also one of the reasons why NewLeaf isn't flying to Alberta. Hopefully it'll put some pressure on YYZ to BC flights though.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:20 pm

There are a couple pros to it, namely that some spot-checking shows that their prices are fairly competitive at about half off compared to AC/WS, even after $50 r/t for a carry-on.

They say 5 planes, but their schedule is run with 1-4 depending on the day. Based on their 'winter schedule', there is very little utilization, hopefully it is temporary while they work any kinks out (for example a plane does one YXX-YWG r/t on Sun/Mon and sits in Winnipeg for 4.5 hours before flying back. A similar situation is happening with the plane on YXX-YQR, but that is almost 7 hours on the ground!

The other thing, no route is flown more than twice per week, and most are flown once per week. To me 3-4x weekly is needed for anywhere that is not a weeklong vacation destination (i.e. PUJ, CDG, etc.). YLW-YQR is flown until March 13th and then discontinued. What is the point in that?!

I'd say there is a market for a ULCC across Canada, but unless New Leaf adds frequencies and utilization to their fleet, they are doomed to fail.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Ooops.

NewLeaf Airways defers launch plans pending CTA inquiry
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad

The oops was Flair walked......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.