Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sun Country - thoughts/comments?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:19 pm

findark, which gate does SY use in BOS? I can't seem to find the information anywhere and I've got an upcoming flight where I am wondering if I will have access to the Lounge (a Priority Pass access lounge). Not enough to make me take another flight but it says its not accessible from Gates 40-42. It's across from C19. I'm typically a Delta flier but even for work couldn't pay 2.5x as much for flights that are at the same exact time.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by kersie
findark, which gate does SY use in BOS? I can't seem to find the information anywhere and I've got an upcoming flight where I am wondering if I will have access to the Lounge (a Priority Pass access lounge). Not enough to make me take another flight but it says its not accessible from Gates 40-42. It's across from C19. I'm typically a Delta flier but even for work couldn't pay 2.5x as much for flights that are at the same exact time.
I'm afraid I don't actually know

Looking around, wow is it hard to find out. I've only gone through BOS on UA and DL. That C40-42 pier does look rather suspiciously like the sort of place they would use though; they are frequently in out-of-the-way gates and terminals. Worst case you can always re-clear security if you a long time to burn in the lounge. Perhaps a BOS-based flier can help?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I've only used SY once, and that was for a trip DCA-MSP. Basically, I was down to SY or a hidden city on DL as my choices (since MSP is stupidly expensive for DL) and SY won out.

I'll say that it was a very good airline for being a "lower-tier" carrier. F was reasonably comfortable (no IFE, which I found to be a plus, especially since I was traveling with a friend) though perhaps a hair out of date. Staff gets good marks all around...it reminded me of the good attitude, etc. of People Express (the PHF-based one from a few years ago) on their first flight.

I don't think I'll have much of an excuse to fly them again...I don't generally have a reason to visit MSP and their hard product falls behind that of VX or higher-end DL...but I've still got plenty good to say about them.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by findark
I'm afraid I don't actually know

Looking around, wow is it hard to find out. I've only gone through BOS on UA and DL. That C40-42 pier does look rather suspiciously like the sort of place they would use though; they are frequently in out-of-the-way gates and terminals. Worst case you can always re-clear security if you a long time to burn in the lounge. Perhaps a BOS-based flier can help?
I forgot to check when I was there but I think it was C40-42 based on the other signs I saw. Will try to remember to check today. Even my ticket doesn't have the info and Massport website doesn't provide.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:31 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by kersie
I forgot to check when I was there but I think it was C40-42 based on the other signs I saw. Will try to remember to check today. Even my ticket doesn't have the info and Massport website doesn't provide.
Not sure of gate number, but that sounds about right. They are off in a separate spur of C terminal in an area that looks and feels decades older than main part of T-C. Nothing down there except a couple of kiosks. Certainly would not want to spend much time there.
That said, SY themselves are fine, especially if you pay up for exit row seating.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
One thing to note is that they recently "upgraded" their website, and the new one has a lot of problems.
I'm surprised no one has posted about the fact that the web site "upgrade" from last summer also included a devastating, no-notice, sneak devaluation of Ufly Rewards redemptions. Of course SY took a page from the legacies in spinning "enhancements" to the program along with the web site. In reality, they eliminated any variance in redemption levels and instead made all redemptions a flat 1 CPM rebate off the prevailing fare.

Previously, award levels were influenced by seasonal or other demand factors and I was routinely able to get 2-3 CPM out of it. There were also several cases where F was actually cheaper than Y, even if the same wasn't true for paid fares. SY sent me a survey a few weeks back about a possible mobile app, and included a section for open-ended feedback. I took the opportunity to call out the lack of notice for the Ufly changes as not just counter to industry best practice, but immoral and counterproductive for a company that wants to compete against DL as "Minnesota's hometown airline." But clearly they're banking on leisure travelers and self-paying biz flyers not caring and don't see any need to compete with the major FFPs.

Overall, SY is still a good opportunistic choice if their wildly varying frequencies happen to align with one's schedule. I'll be flying them to LAS next week. As usual, I bought up to Exit Row seating at booking, which happens to include priority check-in and boarding. For longer routes like LAX or SFO, holding out for the $119 F upgrade remains a good value prop.

Finally, I'd be interested in any reports on the weekly, seasonal MSP-STS route that starts in August. Very thin schedule, but very unique opportunity. Possibly the longest scheduled route to STS since deregulation?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I'm surprised no one has posted about the fact that the web site "upgrade" from last summer also included a devastating, no-notice, sneak devaluation of Ufly Rewards redemptions. Of course SY took a page from the legacies in spinning "enhancements" to the program along with the web site. In reality, they eliminated any variance in redemption levels and instead made all redemptions a flat 1 CPM rebate off the prevailing fare.
I noticed that around the same time.. I'm not terribly invested in SY so I didn't register as a big thing for me and it brings SY somewhat more in line with other revenue based earn/redeem based carriers in terms of earn rate. Just mild regrets I didn't burn some points earlier.

Overall, SY is still a good opportunistic choice if their wildly varying frequencies happen to align with one's schedule. I'll be flying them to LAS next week. As usual, I bought up to Exit Row seating at booking, which happens to include priority check-in and boarding. For longer routes like LAX or SFO, holding out for the $119 F upgrade remains a good value prop.
I agree. Being SFO based, SY isn't really a status play for me but they get a big chunk of my MSP O&D business solely on the basis of price. They still seem to believe in a $99 fare difference to F on MSP-SFO from time to time (for ca. $500 rt), and I'm more than happy to take them up on that

Finally, I'd be interested in any reports on the weekly, seasonal MSP-STS route that starts in August. Very thin schedule, but very unique opportunity. Possibly the longest scheduled route to STS since deregulation?
Yeah, I was really surprised to see them announce STS. Clearly trying to be a "regular charter" for wine country, and I'm curious how it pans out.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I used them last summer to fly SFO MSP SFO and they're just fine. Had to change flight dates, and that was relatively cheap and painless. Thus was around the time of their IT migration, though, so getting firm confirmations required phone calls and long waits. Hopefully that's fixed now.

Flew with them many years ago to ANC and to SoCal. They've always been reliable.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a random note.. I flew on one of the SY 738s which are on lease from HV. The interior was still in the HV color scheme, and F had significant additional pitch (I would estimate about 42 inches) and footrests. I can only assume the extra room came out of Y.

I was a little surprised as I thought HV flew in a one-cabin configuration.. maybe they left the Y seats in place and installed F at greater pitch because it was a straight 4:3 replacement without moving the rest of the seats?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
How is SY at MSP? We have a 3pm departure in F. What time should we arrive at MSP? Does F on SY have tsa premium line or curbside checkin? We will taxi from downtown to MSP.
This is my first time so I'm very newbie.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
How is SY at MSP? We have a 3pm departure in F. What time should we arrive at MSP? Does F on SY have tsa premium line or curbside checkin? We will taxi from downtown to MSP.
This is my first time so I'm very newbie.
SY flies out of MSP Terminal 2, which is essentially a separate airport (shares runways though). Make sure to tell your taxi which airline, as it's not the same as Delta.

I can't really comment on lines (which day?), as I pretty much always fly out of MSP on Sunday evenings where it has consistently been dead as a doornail after 5pm. Security is pretty standard; there's an F line and a pre-check line but not one for pax with both. I'm usually from the curb to the gate in about 5 minutes, but ymmv based on time of day.

SY boards early (BPs usually stamped T-45 or earlier) and they claim check-in closes 45 minutes before departure. I usually show up at the airport about 60 minutes prior and have a little bit of time at the gate. If you're not a veteran traveler I would probably recommend a bit more breathing room than that, but I doubt a whole lot is necessary. T2 is small and efficient compared to the main airport.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SY flies out of MSP Terminal 2, which is essentially a separate airport (shares runways though). Make sure to tell your taxi which airline, as it's not the same as Delta.

I can't really comment on lines (which day?), as I pretty much always fly out of MSP on Sunday evenings where it has consistently been dead as a doornail after 5pm. Security is pretty standard; there's an F line and a pre-check line but not one for pax with both. I'm usually from the curb to the gate in about 5 minutes, but ymmv based on time of day.

SY boards early (BPs usually stamped T-45 or earlier) and they claim check-in closes 45 minutes before departure. I usually show up at the airport about 60 minutes prior and have a little bit of time at the gate. If you're not a veteran traveler I would probably recommend a bit more breathing room than that, but I doubt a whole lot is necessary. T2 is small and efficient compared to the main airport.
Thank you!!!!
Flight is 3pm on Sunday in F. I forgot to mention Sunday.
We are in MSP for family reunion so I want to maximize Sunday family time but also can't risk missing flight!
We have school / work on Monday so I needed the 3pm flight as opposed to a later time.

Is there curbside check-in?

Thank you again!

Ps any ideas how long it takes downtown (S 6th - embassy suites) to MSP? This will be my FIRST TIME ever in MSP and I'm a married father! We will taxi to MSP and I don't want to be late.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should check the schedules for sports teams just in case this could lead to Sunday traffic problems. There's also a mn511 website that shows traffic problems.

A half hour travel time from your hotel to MSP would be at the upper end of what I would expect outside of rush hour, assuming no significant traffic jams. Taxi fare is likely to be about $45 plus tips.

There's also newish light rail service along 5th Street with a station close to your hotel, either between Nicollet and Marquette or the one at Government Center a few blocks further south, IIRC between Third and Fourth Avenues. [I can't immediately picture where the Embassy Suites is located on South Sixth Street.]

Cost is about $2 per person, depending on time of day, with service about every ten or fifteen minutes, again depending on the time of day. You purchase tickets from machines one the platform at stations, IIRC with either cash or a credit card. There's a short ride downtown fare and a higher fare for any trip in the light rail system, although again IIRC there's a more expensive ticket if you need to connect to a bus (you don't for MSP). The light rail stops at both terminals at MSP.

Terminal 2 is smallish and new, although many many years ago it was almost a shed for international arrivals. Don't expect many services there or much of a choice of F&B outlets, although this has been improving. There are no airport lounges and no CLEAR for TSA security.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Is there curbside check-in?
I actually don't remember. I've never spent more than a few minutes checking in at the counter though. There's a line for F and I've never seen it busy.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should check the schedules for sports teams just in case this could lead to Sunday traffic problems. There's also a mn511 website that shows traffic problems.

A half hour travel time from your hotel to MSP would be at the upper end of what I would expect outside of rush hour, assuming no significant traffic jams. Taxi fare is likely to be about $45 plus tips.

There's also newish light rail service along 5th Street with a station close to your hotel, either between Nicollet and Marquette or the one at Government Center a few blocks further south, IIRC between Third and Fourth Avenues. [I can't immediately picture where the Embassy Suites is located on South Sixth Street.]

Cost is about $2 per person, depending on time of day, with service about every ten or fifteen minutes, again depending on the time of day. You purchase tickets from machines one the platform at stations, IIRC with either cash or a credit card. There's a short ride downtown fare and a higher fare for any trip in the light rail system, although again IIRC there's a more expensive ticket if you need to connect to a bus (you don't for MSP). The light rail stops at both terminals at MSP.

Terminal 2 is smallish and new, although many many years ago it was almost a shed for international arrivals. Don't expect many services there or much of a choice of F&B outlets, although this has been improving. There are no airport lounges and no CLEAR for TSA security.
Thanks for the advice - the light rail at Nicolette mall is indeed not far from Embassy Suites. The light rail website shows that it's 22 minutes from Nicolette to T1 but I can't figure out how to get a time for T2.

Is baseball Sunday the only sport to consider? I'm also not sure if it'll be too much to walk to light rail station with our luggage - I'll probably have 2 big suitcases plus the Carry-ons for a 4-day weekend because of dinner suits & shoes. We aren't light packers :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.