Sun Country - thoughts/comments?

Old Nov 4, 18, 10:40 am

Just received the email below on Nov. 2nd, which includes the elimination of point pools: "As of January 2, 2019, all current Pools will be eliminated and any remaining unexpired points will be transferred back to the original earner's account." I don't have a lot of points, but others in my pool do.

Hello xxxx,
Thank you for flying with Sun Country. We appreciate your loyalty, and we are excited to share how we will offer you even greater value. In the coming months, you'll see our commitment with a better onboard experience – new seats, new menu, and a new (free) streaming entertainment service.

MORE POINTS, MORE VACATION

As part of our effort to offer you an exceptional value, we are making some changes to our loyalty and credit card programs. The most exciting – your points will now be more valuable! Our new redemption program will be simple and straightforward and get you to a vacation faster than ever. The full details of the program are below, but here’s an example of what this means for you:

Value of your 3365​ points with the old & new program:
OLD Peak OR Off-Peak
Points/$1 130 points = $1.00 OR 110 points = $1.00
Value $25.88 OR $30.59
NEW Everyday!
Points/$1 100 points = $1.00

Value $33.65
INTRODUCING SUN COUNTRY REWARDS

The new loyalty program will be called Sun Country Rewards – and like the name, the new program will be simple and straightforward.

No confusing redemption charts or fees, no blackout dates, no confusing expiration rules, no point thresholds to redeem your points.

Every current UFly member will automatically be transferred to a Sun Country Rewards account. You will see the change in your account on November 3, 2018. As of January 2, 2019, all current Pools will be eliminated and any remaining unexpired points will be transferred back to the original earner's account.

In order to make this more valuable point redemption possible, we will also be making changes to the way you earn Sun Country Rewards points. Beginning November 3, 2018, all Sun Country Rewards members will earn 2 points per dollar spent on suncountry.com or with one of our amazing reservation agents. Sun Country bookings you make through a travel agent or online travel portal will earn 1 point per dollar spent.

SUN COUNTRY AIRLINES® SIGNATURE VISA® CARD BENEFITS

Earn points on your purchases and receive in-flight benefits with the Sun Country Airlines Signature Visa Card! The following benefits will be awarded to those who apply and are approved for the card on or after January 2, 2019:

Alternate benefits apply through January 1, 2019. Click on the link below for more details.
Learn More »Thank you for your support as we continue to enhance your Sun Country experience.

Jude Bricker
President & CEO

This is an advertisement.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
1Points are earned on Net Purchases made on your Sun Country Airlines® Visa® Card. New Credit Card Rewards Terms and Conditions will be made available on January 02, 2019. See the Sun Country RewardsTM Program terms and conditions for information on Sun Country RewardsTM point redemption, expiration, forfeiture and other limitations at www.suncountry.com/terms. Some Sun Country flight destinations may be excluded.

Sun Country, Sun Country Airlines and Sun Country Rewards are trademarks of MN Airlines, LLC d/b/a Sun Country Airlines.

Card is issued by First BankCard®, a division of First National Bank of Omaha, pursuant to a license form Visa U.S.A Inc. VISA and VISA SIGNATURE are registered trademarks of Visa International Service Association and used under license.

Last edited by Dadofsix; Nov 4, 18 at 10:48 am Reason: fixed formatting
Old Dec 8, 18, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
In re the point earnings cut, wow that's really slash and burn! 2% back on all flights even under-performs their credit card. I don't really want to analyze the NK FFP, but even that seems more generous.

I took what is probably my last SY flight last month. I was cashing out my points and couldn't turn down a $100 base fare on the day before Thanksgiving (although by the time I was done with their fees for a bag + seat selection it was $180). Won the (high odds) lottery and flew in a legacy F seat since I'm not sure they have started reconfiguring their aircraft yet. Everything is converted over to one-class service now though, so there was no service other than two free (mixed) drinks in plastic cups. I was surprised how much worse it felt to fly in the same seat but with absolutely no soft product - I usually base my buying decisions almost completely on hard product. As far as I can tell, there is no longer any hot food (free or otherwise) onboard, so I would recommend self-catering.

All in all, it's possibly worth base fare plus ~$80 to sit in the Big Front Seats (and have luggage), but once those go away I don't see any value proposition in flying SY. Rest in peace
Old Dec 10, 18, 12:56 pm

Honestly, even NK is far better than this in terms of redemptions. Mileage is earned based on miles flown, not fare paid - standard earning is 50% of miles flown. My recent one-way from DEN cost $31.21 when purchased at the airport, and earned 680 miles. If you can get half a penny per point of value (which seems doable - a 10,000 - 12,500 point redemption during non-peak times could probably equal a $75-$100 fare after taxes/fees, and you'd be looking at about $21 in fees for the redemption booking in most cases) that still earns you $3.40 in value. In comparison, that same flight on SY would only earn 62 points, or 62 cents of value.

Granted, NK's earnings depend on what price you get for a ticket versus miles flown, but it at least has the possibility of being a halfway decent earning option. SY, on the other hand, has no hope of getting any more than 2% of the value for your ticket out of it (without the credit card, anyways.)
Old Jan 17, 19, 10:09 pm

One thing that I didn't catch earlier with the recent program changes: "Points expire 36 months after earned". My daughter just lost a few thousand points due to this new policy.

It appears that this is a hard expiration and there's no longer any way to extend points expiration via program activity (without getting the credit card). I was hoping to do a final points "pool" redemption before the end of 2018 but it just didn't work out. Oh well, I think I may have already taken my last Sun Country flight....
Old May 18, 21, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Last Friday 5/14 I flew my first ever SY flight, their inaugural from RDU-MSP.

As for as LCCs go the cabin is actually very nice, far better than Frontier or Allegiant

I paid $39 extra for a seat in row 5 which comes with 4 extra inches of legroom, enough to use a full size laptop in. There was power at these seats and while there's no Wifi sadly there were movies available for streaming. Service was limited to free coffee or water and nothing was available for purchase. That was a bit disappointing. The flight crew were very friendly. Overall a decent experience.
Old Dec 27, 21, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This morning all flights that were scheduled to depart before 8:00 am were cancelled. A Sun Country announcement said that this was due to a temporary third party network systems outage, which they claim is affecting some other airlines too. The plan is to work with the FAA to manually clear flights. Departures after 8:00 am are generally posted as on time.

ADDED: Sun Country has announced that they're willing to give full refunds for any flights scheduled for today or tomorrow. Also, no change fees will apply.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 27, 21 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 4, 22, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This morning all flights that were scheduled to depart before 8:00 am were cancelled. A Sun Country announcement said that this was due to a temporary third party network systems outage, which they claim is affecting some other airlines too. The plan is to work with the FAA to manually clear flights. Departures after 8:00 am are generally posted as on time.

ADDED: Sun Country has announced that they're willing to give full refunds for any flights scheduled for today or tomorrow. Also, no change fees will apply.
https://www.startribune.com/how-a-da...try/600131717/

Apparently their crew tracking system went down. What a nightmare for everyone involved.
Old Jan 6, 22, 6:52 pm

Isn't this the airline that stranded a bunch of ill behaved Canadians in Mexico due to regulations? If so good for Sun Country. I may have the wrong airline.
Old Jan 7, 22, 3:17 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TEBraniff View Post
Isn't this the airline that stranded a bunch of ill behaved Canadians in Mexico due to regulations? If so good for Sun Country. I may have the wrong airline.
That was Sunwing.
Old Jan 9, 22, 4:07 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TEBraniff View Post
NO, Sun Country is based in Minneapolis/StPaul and offers scheduled service, now as a ULCC, but many aspects seem better than one would expect on a LCC/ULCC.
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:23 am

Locally Sun Country is getting some bad publicity now. Apparently they started a new route MSP-YVR but the inaugural return flight had a problem which cause it to be delayed to the next day (vaguely due to not enough staff), and then there was a mechanical problem, which apparently bumped it back another day. A local family contacted the media about being stranded and spending thousands of dollars for lodging (in an airport hotel?) and food, partly because Sun Country wouldn't pay for a taxi and child seat to take them to a better (more expensive too?) hotel that they preferred which was forty-five minutes away. The whole story seems garbled and exaggerated (thousands for a two night airport stay???).

Still, it's an unfortunate bad look to mess up on an inaugural flight even if this is minor compared to other airlines' meltdowns.
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I heard a story fairly recently from someone whose SFO-MSP was delayed by mx to the next day, but when they were told to come back to SFO, there were no ground staff at all at the airport (not a regular time). Several hours later, they showed up and the flight ultimately ran something like 19h delayed.

Just reinforcing that, as is par for the course with a ULCC, you are utterly up a creek in IRROPS.

Search this Thread