Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sun Country - thoughts/comments?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I'm surprised no one has posted about the fact that the web site "upgrade" from last summer also included a devastating, no-notice, sneak devaluation of Ufly Rewards redemptions. Of course SY took a page from the legacies in spinning "enhancements" to the program along with the web site. In reality, they eliminated any variance in redemption levels and instead made all redemptions a flat 1 CPM rebate off the prevailing fare.

Previously, award levels were influenced by seasonal or other demand factors and I was routinely able to get 2-3 CPM out of it. There were also several cases where F was actually cheaper than Y, even if the same wasn't true for paid fares. SY sent me a survey a few weeks back about a possible mobile app, and included a section for open-ended feedback. I took the opportunity to call out the lack of notice for the Ufly changes as not just counter to industry best practice, but immoral and counterproductive for a company that wants to compete against DL as "Minnesota's hometown airline." But clearly they're banking on leisure travelers and self-paying biz flyers not caring and don't see any need to compete with the major FFPs.

Overall, SY is still a good opportunistic choice if their wildly varying frequencies happen to align with one's schedule. I'll be flying them to LAS next week. As usual, I bought up to Exit Row seating at booking, which happens to include priority check-in and boarding. For longer routes like LAX or SFO, holding out for the $119 F upgrade remains a good value prop.
Daughter just flew MSP-LAS this week and for that route I believe it was $169 for F upgrade at 24-hour mark.

A couple other interesting items regarding the Ufly Rewards program: As most of you probably know, SY allows points pooling. One casualty (supposedly temporary) of the upgraded website is that pretty much all points pooling functionality is gone, other than view functionality. Anyway, I happen to manage a pool and I recently got an Award Wallet notification that 2 of my pool members (also family members) have points expiring soon, due to their last activity was almost 3 years ago. So I went to the website to possibly buy a minimal amount of points for them (remembering that it used to be reasonably priced when I did so a couple years ago) but it's nowhere to be found. So I called the Ufly Rewards line and was told that buying points is not an option (another "new feature", I guess). However, they did say that ALL points of any pool member (points allocated to the pool AND points not allocated to the pool) will never expire. Not sure that I trust that information as I'm not seeing that mentioned in the T&C's....
Old May 12, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dadofsix
However, they did say that ALL points of any pool member (points allocated to the pool AND points not allocated to the pool) will never expire. Not sure that I trust that information as I'm not seeing that mentioned in the T&C's....
The Ufly T&C's do mention this regarding points expiration:
"Ufly Rewards points will not expire as long as the member maintains activity in the program. Program activity includes one of the following completed at least once every three years: earning points, redeeming any number of points, or making a donation of points to Make-A-Wish® Minnesota. "

Wanting to err on the side of caution, they were each able to make a small donation of points to Make-A-Wish® Minnesota on the website today. So I think they're good for another 3 years. However, as GoAmtrak mentioned previously, Ufly points have been devalued further so I'm not sure their points will ever be used. Maybe at some point down the road with a pool redemption.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Questions...

I'm thinking of flying Sun Country SFO-JFK in F in about a month with my wife. A few questions:

1. Any new info on F or opinions for or against?
2. We'd stop over in MSP for about 3.5 hours. Any lounge or decent place to hang out there during the layover?
3. I'm aware of the upgrade option if we bought Y and if F is available. Any sense of how likely it is to be available for a Thursday flight?
4. And if the upgrade is available, would you know how much it costs SFO-JFK?
5. How reliable is the airline in terms of avoiding cancellations and big delays?

Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
In summary I'd say it's a fine choice if you can't get a good deal on a nonstop. DL/AA/B6 fly the route non-stop all with lie-flat equipment and a $659 price point if you can find it.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
It's been a few months since I've flown SY, but nothing had changed as of my last experience. A single meal choice but excellent beer, and otherwise a pretty standard F experience.

2. We'd stop over in MSP for about 3.5 hours. Any lounge or decent place to hang out there during the layover?
SY does not have any lounges, and Terminal 2 at MSP does not either. At 3.5 hours you could probably leave the airport if you wanted to and check out the Mall of America nearby, or just sit around. The terminal area is quiet but a little bare-bones with a couple restaurants and a wine bar. Definitely not the greatest options here.

I don't actually see a 3h30 connection though - it's usually timed pretty well (~1h) or a very long connection (>5h).

3. I'm aware of the upgrade option if we bought Y and if F is available. Any sense of how likely it is to be available for a Thursday flight?
It's been a while since I've seen them publish their upgrade price schedule, but in my past experience it's not usually very advantageous when compared to purchasing F outright. The fare difference on SFO-JFK is either $289 or $339 depending on your combination of flights.

5. How reliable is the airline in terms of avoiding cancellations and big delays?
In general their ops seem pretty solid. They operate a wholly 737 fleet (mostly 738s) and almost all of the scheduled ops have MSP as one end. I've seen minor weather delays, but I've never been delayed more than about 1h00 in ~25 segment over the last two years. If a plane goes MX at an outstation though, you're likely to be in trouble as I don't believe they interline at all.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are changes coming......to make Sun Country more like a LCC, with more seats on aircraft and a la carte fees for checked bags and onboard F&B. They say that they'll keep the tradition of handling passengers with tender loving care, but they're offering buyouts to employees who dislike/disagree with the changes.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for both of your replies, but especially to findark for all of the useful, detailed info. And you're right about the stop in MSP. I'd misread the schedule. It's in fact just one hour.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are changes coming......to make Sun Country more like a LCC, with more seats on aircraft and a la carte fees for checked bags and onboard F&B. They say that they'll keep the tradition of handling passengers with tender loving care, but they're offering buyouts to employees who dislike/disagree with the changes.
Really not happy about this. They have been my airline of choice for domestic flights, but if they go for sardine seating and fees for everything and if their first class is downgraded so that it's like the first class on Delta's regional jets (coach seats with a bit more leg room and your choice of potato chips or cookies with your drink), I may as well fly Delta.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Oh, no! That's just awful, especially if it means not only reduced pitch but also eliminating F. Sadly I can't say I'm all that surprised as I've always felt like I've been getting more than I deserve when flying SY, and I always seem to be one of the only non-upgrades in the forward cabin. Still, if they go through with this RIP a good airline
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm thinking of flying Sun Country SFO-JFK in F in about a month with my wife. A few questions:

Thanks for any help!
I'll echo findark. I have done SY multiple times in both F and Y (I just wrote a Trip Report on it).

The experience in F is comparable to other airlines. They are pretty good about meal service, which is served on china. They have a selection of Minnesota beers on board. Though the planes are older, they are well-kept.

There are surprisingly only a couple of restaurants and no lounges in Terminal 2(from what I recall, there is a sports bar-like place and a Mexican restaurant). If you wanted to take your chances, some have had luck taking the Light Rail to Terminal 1 (the two terminals are not connected) and either getting a gate pass or buying a refundable ticket, getting through security, then cancelling to get to a lounge they have access to.

My experience with the day-of paid upgrades is that they are usually available. They used to post online their outright upgrade fees which were fixed based on the route and could be upgraded anytime after booking, but they don't seem to do that anymore. Day-of upgrades appear to be handled at the desk (and I don't believe they are offered at OLCI). I want to say MSP-SFO was around $179 to upgrade one way. I have seen them offering $99 upgrades at the gate. Since they don't have a strong elite following, FCM is the name of the game for them.

I have never had a delay or equipment issue. I'd say that if you have an equipment issue at MSP, it won't be a big deal since they will have a spare plan on hand there and their fleet is pretty identical, but if you have an equipment issue at JFK and they can't fly the plane, it will take them a while to get a new plane out. I also don't believe they have re-booking agreements with other airlines (can someone verify?).

Even if you fly in Y, the experience is actually quite pleasant. You can get put into exit row for $25 if all you are looking for is a little legroom.

Many changes will be coming in the next year or two as Sun Country transitions to a "value" carrier pricing model, as announced earlier this week. Only time will tell what will come of the Sun Country experience.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: UA, NW
Terminal 2 is short on amenities, but its security lines are also short, which is a point in its favor. It is served by Southwest, Icelandair, and Condor in addition to Sun Country, so there are never as many people flying out at once as at Terminal 1.

There are some newer shops at one end, but nothing outstanding. You will find vending machines and US Bank ATMS.

You can get a basic meal and an alcoholic drink, if that's what you want, or a caffeinated beverage and pastry at the coffee stand.

There is also a convenience store type place landside.

I always travel with a tablet loaded with books, games, and TV shows, so I'm never bored during long waits for the next flight, wherever I am.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
I'll echo findark. I have done SY multiple times in both F and Y (I just wrote a Trip Report on it).

The experience in F is comparable to other airlines. They are pretty good about meal service, which is served on china. They have a selection of Minnesota beers on board. Though the planes are older, they are well-kept.

There are surprisingly only a couple of restaurants and no lounges in Terminal 2(from what I recall, there is a sports bar-like place and a Mexican restaurant). If you wanted to take your chances, some have had luck taking the Light Rail to Terminal 1 (the two terminals are not connected) and either getting a gate pass or buying a refundable ticket, getting through security, then cancelling to get to a lounge they have access to.

My experience with the day-of paid upgrades is that they are usually available. They used to post online their outright upgrade fees which were fixed based on the route and could be upgraded anytime after booking, but they don't seem to do that anymore. Day-of upgrades appear to be handled at the desk (and I don't believe they are offered at OLCI). I want to say MSP-SFO was around $179 to upgrade one way. I have seen them offering $99 upgrades at the gate. Since they don't have a strong elite following, FCM is the name of the game for them.

I have never had a delay or equipment issue. I'd say that if you have an equipment issue at MSP, it won't be a big deal since they will have a spare plan on hand there and their fleet is pretty identical, but if you have an equipment issue at JFK and they can't fly the plane, it will take them a while to get a new plane out. I also don't believe they have re-booking agreements with other airlines (can someone verify?).

Even if you fly in Y, the experience is actually quite pleasant. You can get put into exit row for $25 if all you are looking for is a little legroom.

Many changes will be coming in the next year or two as Sun Country transitions to a "value" carrier pricing model, as announced earlier this week. Only time will tell what will come of the Sun Country experience.
For lounges, MSP Terminal 1 (Lindbergh) has DL SCs (two), a small UA club, the Escape lounge (pay a lot or enter for free with a regular AmEx Plat/Centurion charge card--PP is no longer accepted), and a PGA lounge which is now PP. BTW, I haven't tested this at MSP but AFAIK a boarding pass for the same day entitles you to access any concourse/terminal at a USA airport.

Light rail between T1 and T2 is free (but it's a long walk between the actual terminals and the light rail stations) and the path keeps you protected from the elements.

With time to kill, one could also pay to ride the light rail to the end of the line (less than a half dozen stops) to the Mall of America station. MOA has restaurants and bars, including those in the JW and Radisson Blu hotels, an indoor amusement park, Legos, movie theaters, etc. IKEA is across a parking lot, but you must walk outdoors to go there. With lots of time, you could take the light rail to downtown Minneapolis or even transfer at the stop for the new Vikings USBank stadium to go to St Paul, although a taxi/uber to St Paul would be much faster.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Here are the changes: http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...at-Sun-Country

1.Sun Country will transition toward an ultralow-cost (ULCC) fare model beginning in January

2.The company will also begin broadening its Minneapolis-based network to include more origin cities next summer.

3.Sun Country plans to implement fees for checked bags starting in January, Bricker said. The fee has not yet been determined.

4.The carrier will eventually charge for seat selection, but plans to continue to offer free water and soft drinks for all passengers.

5.The carrier won't make a full move to the ULCC. It will maintain a first-class cabin on its fleet of Boeing 737 aircraft, but will reduce the 12 first-class seats to six and scale back the first-class food service

6.Sun Country will increase the number of seats on its 737-800 aircraft from 162 to 180. In so doing, it will decrease the standard space between rows, called pitch, on coach seats from 32 inches to between 29 and 30 inches. Slim-lined seats will be put in to lessen the impact of those reductions, Bricker said, and a mid-level product with 32 inches of pitch will be offered on all flights.

7.The carrier would add routes to its some of its existing warm-weather destinations from other midsized Midwest origins, such as Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and Indianapolis.

8.Sun Country will leverage the flexible lease deals it already has in place on a portion of its 737 fleet to jump in and out of high-demand leisure markets in-season. For example, Sun Country will likely fly from Los Angeles to Hawaii next summer, Bricker said. And it plans to run routes from major Northeast markets to Florida during the 12-week season between February and Easter.

9.Plans call for Sun Country to increase its fleet size from 26 aircraft to 55 in 2022.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Does this mean no more cheese platter which included a big garlic crostini? I love Sun Country F. It's so pleasant.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Overall, Sun Country will increase the number of seats on its 737-800 aircraft from 162 to 180. In so doing, it will decrease the standard space between rows, called pitch, on coach seats from 32 inches to between 29 and 30 inches. Slim-lined seats will be put in to lessen the impact of those reductions, Bricker said, and a mid-level product with 32 inches of pitch will be offered on all flights.

Bricker said that reconfiguring Sun Country's 22 aircraft would take about a year.
By those numbers, it sounds like they're leaving the F cabin? Really weird to try to compete as a ULCC while offering an F product, but I'm not complaining as I love SY F as a niche product with amazing prices.

I wonder if it's getting driven slightly by the seat count restrictions on the 738. Even Ryanair is stuck there until they get their MAX-200s.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I'm trying to imagine reduction from 12 to 6 F seats. That means a full row of 4 seats and then a row of two seats - how? What can replace the other two seats??
We are a family of 3 and I want to sit in the same row. But if the half row is the first row, then I'm a bit stuck because I like the first row with nobody reclining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.