Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

[Aeromexico] 787 deploys emergency slide - smashes jetty -

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Aeromexico] 787 deploys emergency slide - smashes jetty -

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Which planes have a culture of fear? Going out on a limb but the ME3? How is their safety?

Anyway, having no fear is bad as well. Look at the policing in the US. It works so well because policemen never get in trouble.
Let's not turn this into a U.S. Vs me3 thread!
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by m3red
It is a very serious offence: check
Your entire post starts with this error.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Your entire post starts with this error.
You don't think it's a serious offence when someone whose sole job is safety forgets to cross check and disarm?!

Seriously?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You don't think it's a serious offence when someone whose sole job is safety forgets to cross check and disarm?!

Seriously?
Yes, seriously. For a start, the word "offence" is completely out of place here.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:46 am

Yes, seriously. For a start, the word "offence" is completely out of place here.
I don't think so. Each to their own though - it's a misconduct offence. Not sure what your issue is with the work offence? Is massive f@£k up better?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think so. Each to their own though - it's a misconduct offence.
Then I'm glad that you don't run an airline SMS.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:21 am

Then I'm glad that you don't run an airline SMS.
If I ran an airline I'd treat it as serious misconduct. I'd take them off duty and put them on a performance improvement plan and final written warning for 12 months. I'm guessing if you don't get fired that would be a good result for any crew who did this.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I ran an airline ...
When I said SMS, I meant SMS.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:42 am

When I said SMS, I meant SMS.
I'm not an Internet geek no idea what SMS means? Short message service?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
If I ran an airline I'd treat it as serious misconduct. I'd take them off duty and put them on a performance improvement plan and final written warning for 12 months. I'm guessing if you don't get fired that would be a good result for any crew who did this.
"One-size-fits-all" approaches seem hardly useful in preventing recurrence. I'd take a rather different approach.

First: Root cause. What exactly happened? Why? (Ask that question 5 times, at least) What can we learn or improve?

Also the question: How did I as a supervisor/manager/executive contribute to this? Organisations don't function in a vacuum, especially not those under leadership. (Poor leadership does operate as if in a vacuum, by the way)

It is quite possible that as an outcome of the above, you do end up concluding that besides everything else there's also full or partial individual responsibility.

Then context comes into action: Is this a model employee, that's never made an operational mistake in their life before? They're likely to take full responsibility out of their own accord. Worst case, you'll have to convince them not to resign.

Is it someone new? Do they take responsibility? Then you probably wouldn't want to let go of this person. They've learned a very valuable lesson.

Is it someone whose performance has been poor and it's the latest in a pattern of mishaps? Again you could look at your organisation: why did this not get noticed before, what actions were taken? If you can conclude that your organisation is fully up to par in procedures and training and this person refuses to take responsibility, only then there's something to be said for firing.

Anyway. Just to say. You can make a hard-and-fast rule how to resolve such an event in advance ("if the ball gets dropped, people are fired!"), but what does that accomplish? I'm pretty sure the FA didn't not disarm the door because she didn't worry about her job. Far better to implement hard-and-fast reviews of such events, and let a resolution emerge from there. You'll end up with solutions and an organisation that actually improves itself.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'm not an Internet geek no idea what SMS means? Short message service?
If you're not familiar with the concept, purpose, and implementation of an aviation or other SMS (Safety Management System) then I respectfully suggest you are insufficiently well informed to be making statements about how safety lapses in the aviation industry should be dealt with and how any individuals involved should be punished.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
If you're not familiar with the concept, purpose, and implementation of an aviation or other SMS (Safety Management System) then I respectfully suggest you are insufficiently well informed to be making statements about how safety lapses in the aviation industry should be dealt with and how any individuals involved should be punished.
This is an open forum where people are entitled to an opinion. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean I can't share it or contribute. I disagree with your post and its tone.

I fly a lot, my view is based on my thoughts on flying, my experiences and safety and also knowledge of the law where I know such incident could be treated as a sackable offence by many employers - as I've said that's up to the airline.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Well that would not be the case in most UK airlines and I would be surprised if people were sacked for making a mistake in most civilised countries.
People are fired for much less in the UK and other "civilized countries" every day. The fact that you would be surprised by that tells to me that you have much to learn.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
That is just rubbish.A few airlines in the USA may follow this policy,but the rest of the world has more common sense.
Its not just a few airlines in the US. Shocking that you would argue otherwise using that particular language. The world is not divided between stupid people and you.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Deleted.

Last edited by Pet0r; Sep 9, 2015 at 7:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.