Copa announced ConnectMiles

Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Copa announces ConnectMiles, new FF program

Just announced this morning ...
http://connectmiles.copaair.com/en/

Most important: One mile flown = one mile earned!

Based on my quick read, looks like they've retained all that MileagePlus used to offer.

Last edited by DarrenChannel; Mar 18, 2015 at 9:40 am
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:54 am
Used to be 'rockferd'

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DarrenChannel

Based on my quick read, looks like they've retained all that MileagePlus used to offer.
I have done a lot of reading about it via the website you linked above. It's has better redemption rates the UA MP and brings back some of the naming connections of PMCO OnePass.

I wrote a blog about the new Copa Connect Frequent Flyer program highlighting the importance of new mile chart, elite levels, and more.

Important things to note
  • Program starts July 2015
  • 1 mile flown = 1 program mile
  • 500 mile minimum per mile
  • fewer miles/segments needed for top status
  • unlimited free upgrades
  • some great redemption options
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Do the PreferMember Bonus miles accrue when flying partner airlines (such as United)?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:23 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Post Good To Know, But...

Thanks for posting this (-:

However, unless Copa* does something to align their airfares more closely to AV, they still won't be getting any of my South bound business!!!

*And the kicker is that I REALLY do like them as an airline!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:40 am

Still few questions.

Can our mileage plus miles be transferred.

I have flown a lot on Copa but mostly award tickets. Is that considered when giving out status for the first time?

No stopovers allowed as they are all one way awards?

Where is the chart to Europe, Asia and other places?

Will my United mileageplus credit card offer any benefits other than getting into the Copa Clubs?

Will Copa partner with any US banks or transfer programs. For me this makes the biggest difference in if the program works or not.

Glad to see the Pty - David flight less points as its only an $80 ticket at the moment.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Thanks for posting this (-:

However, unless Copa* does something to align their airfares more closely to AV, they still won't be getting any of my South bound business!!!
At least on BOGMEX they're competitive with both AM and AV.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:41 pm

Hi Darren.

Can you figure out how much flying on other carriers credits?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver
Will wait to see what earnings are with Star Alliance airlines.

Hopefully AV will match the 100% earnings on all AV fares. The 50% earnings on expensive fares are the pits.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:02 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by copaflyer
Still few questions.

Can our mileage plus miles be transferred.

I have flown a lot on Copa but mostly award tickets. Is that considered when giving out status for the first time?

No stopovers allowed as they are all one way awards?

Where is the chart to Europe, Asia and other places?

Will my United mileageplus credit card offer any benefits other than getting into the Copa Clubs?

Will Copa partner with any US banks or transfer programs. For me this makes the biggest difference in if the program works or not.

Glad to see the Pty - David flight less points as its only an $80 ticket at the moment.
All great questions, but the program is still being built. Check out the FAQ on the Copa Connect webpage. A lot of information is still to come. Today's announcement was just groundwork for the program and focused around Copa Airlines, not partners.

to Answer some of your questions:
Can our mileage plus miles be transferred. - Don't count on it, maybe via points.com but expect hefty charges

I have flown a lot on Copa but mostly award tickets. Is that considered when giving out status for the first time? - Again I would say no, Copa is going to be looking to reward flyers who have flown Copa and given business to Copa, an Award ticket is hardly business.

No stopovers allowed as they are all one way awards? - Doesn't say, as award rules and routing have not been released yet

Where is the chart to Europe, Asia and other places? - Copa has released a chart for travel on Copa Airlines and Star Alliance partner for the regions they fly to/from. Expect more award charts to come in the future, but remember the program is still being built

Will my United mileageplus credit card offer any benefits other than getting into the Copa Clubs? - no clue. Looks like the relationship w/ United will be limited to Upgrade certificates, maybe more, maybe less. Time will tell.

Will Copa partner with any US banks or transfer programs. For me this makes the biggest difference in if the program works or not. - At this time zero announcements, but hints towards several banking partners in the FAQ, a co-branded credit card by BAC Credomatic has been announced in the FAQ, but of course that won't do US Citizens any good

As I mentioned in my blog There is still a lot of unknowns about Copa’s new frequent flyer program, as today we only received the framwork of what is to come

Last edited by DoubleWidesFly; Mar 18, 2015 at 3:09 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IanWorthington
Hi Darren.

Can you figure out how much flying on other carriers credits?
Don't see any mention of earnings on Star or other partner airlines yet. But I'm encouraged by their statement about keeping the "1 mile = 1 mile" earning.

I had feared they'd do what AV, AM, and LA do, in awarding 25% or 50% on the lowest econ fares. So, am certainly glad to see that isn't the case.

Also noticed this morning that CM has just put a new MEX-BOG deal on for us -- $206 RT! Only downside is that it's only good for travel thru mid-June. So can't use that after July 1, to start accumulating miles in the new program.

My next question is, will they be offering status matches? They indicate they'll offer equivalent status for MP customers, based on one's history of flying with Copa. Am going to email them to inquire about the possibility of status matches to AV/AM/LA elites.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:52 pm

Don't see any mention of earnings on Star or other partner airlines yet. But I'm encouraged by their statement about keeping the "1 mile = 1 mile" earning.
Thought I might have just missed it. Guess not.

I'm assuming that 1mi = 1mi will apply just to CM flight. You suspect it might be broader?
I had feared they'd do what AV, AM, and LA do, in awarding 25% or 50% on the lowest econ fares. So, am certainly glad to see that isn't the case.
Also noticed this morning that CM has just put a new MEX-BOG deal on for us -- $206 RT! Only downside is that it's only good for travel thru mid-June. So can't use that after July 1, to start accumulating miles in the new program.
That's still a good fare. Maybe we can fly but claim retrospectively?
My next question is, will they be offering status matches? They indicate they'll offer equivalent status for MP customers, based on one's history of flying with Copa. Am going to email them to inquire about the possibility of status matches to AV/AM/LA elites.
Let me know will you?

45k miles for Gold is not an amazing bargain but it's not bad. The requirement for only 4 segs on CM, if it turns out to be 4 economy segs is pretty good though. My interest turns on what the options are going to be for long haul out of BOG.

Also note no upgrades for Gold.

Last edited by IanWorthington; Mar 18, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Thought I might have just missed it. Guess not.

I'm assuming that 1mi = 1mi will apply just to CM flight. You suspect it might be broader?

That's still a good fare. Maybe we can fly but claim retrospectively?

Let me know will you?

45k miles for Gold is not an amazing bargain but it's not bad. The requirement for only 4 segs on CM, if it turns out to be 4 economy segs is pretty good though. My interest turns on what the options are going to be for long haul out of BOG.
Just to clarify, I'm only speculating that the '1 mile = 1 mile' guideline might extend to Star partners. But based on the prominent mention of that principle, at least on CM flights, it gives me the impression that Copa management must have heard loud and clear from their customers that the MP earnings downgrade was a sore point with them -- or at least that they see offering 100% earnings as a competitive advantage for them, as they do battle with AV, LA, and AM.

I'm most curious to see how miles will be awarded on CM's regional Star partners -- UA, AC, and AV.

Anyway, have just fired off an email re: status match, so will let you know what I hear!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Also note no upgrades for Gold.
I think it's the same upgrade policy as it used to be. I'm not clear what Copa considers a "regional" or "global" upgrade, but they still list "Complimentary Upgrades" as applicable to all elite categories (Silver 24 hrs; Gold 48 hrs; Plat 72 hrs; Presidential Plat 120 hrs).

I had good success getting upgrades on my Copa flights in 2012 and 2013, even at the lowest Premier Silver level.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:48 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Good To Know...

At least on BOGMEX they're competitive with both AM and AV.
Thanks for the FYI Ian (-:

As most of our travel is either UIO or GYE back to the States or Canada, AV still has the best fares by far. Should my travel patterns change, I will check out Copa to see if indeed they are competative price wise...
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:09 pm

If the BAC credit card is good I will apply. But hard to beat the 1.5 miles per dollar that the chase card offers.

With a good program and prices Copa can continute to have almost all of my business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.