Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Spirit Refuses to Refund Deployed Navy Sailor's Plane Ticket

Old Dec 15, 14, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver

Airline Refuses to Refund Deployed Navy Vets Plane Ticket

I totally understand the airlines have fare rules, but I've seen the legacy carriers "break the rules" many times to accommodate exceptional situations, including military deployments, etc.

While some will scream of this scenario (I've been a Sailor for over 20 years), they did offer her a credit, which I think is not unusual. While likely not convenient to pay a $100 change fee, I'd guess it could be a lot worse.
Old Dec 15, 14, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
Airline Refuses to Refund Deployed Navy Vets Plane Ticket

I totally understand the airlines have fare rules, but I've seen the legacy carriers "break the rules" many times to accommodate exceptional situations, including military deployments, etc.

While some will scream of this scenario (I've been a Sailor for over 20 years), they did offer her a credit, which I think is not unusual. While likely not convenient to pay a $100 change fee, I'd guess it could be a lot worse.
I vote Sprit start defending itself.
Old Dec 15, 14, 3:19 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Her employer should pick up the change fee.
Old Dec 15, 14, 3:52 pm
Suspended

So,what are the rules for breaking the rules,should they break em for pretty people,but not for ugly .......s???
Old Dec 15, 14, 4:03 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
I would suggest it would be wise to have some flexible rules for people in the armed forces. Spirit might want to consider that they would not be flying at all without our military.

However, if Spirit would like to hold the hard line, our military has fought and died to give them that right. These things should just be publicized so that future military personnel can make well informed decisions as to whether booking with Spirit is a good idea.
Old Dec 15, 14, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Her employer should pick up the change fee.
If you mean a civilian employer for a reservist - maybe. As to the US Navy, it is unlikely they purchased the ticket through DTS since all government-bought tickets are fully refundable (they are reserved and charged directly to the government, not to the individual), so it seems she bought the ticket herself.
Old Dec 15, 14, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I agree with Spirit on this. They do make their policies very clear and I'm guessing no insurance was purchased. The Navy should cover this 100$ fee and any additional fare this sailor has to pay to get home as they are the ones who extended her tour (even is she agreed to stay on). This ticket seems to have been purchased outside of the Navy's travel program which provides for transport without the enlistee paying.

Bolding is mine. No Soldier, President, Judge nor Police Officers gives to the people rights. They (are supposed to) protect and enforce the rights of the people. They can even be seen as a symbol of those rights but I do not get any rights or freedoms given to me from a soldier.

Originally Posted by FCfree View Post
I would suggest it would be wise to have some flexible rules for people in the armed forces. Spirit might want to consider that they would not be flying at all without our military.

However, if Spirit would like to hold the hard line, our military has fought and died to give them that right. These things should just be publicized so that future military personnel can make well informed decisions as to whether booking with Spirit is a good idea.
Old Dec 15, 14, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by relangford View Post
If you mean a civilian employer for a reservist - maybe. As to the US Navy, it is unlikely they purchased the ticket through DTS since all government-bought tickets are fully refundable (they are reserved and charged directly to the government, not to the individual), so it seems she bought the ticket herself.
If my employer asked me to drop everything to come into work on a day off I would at least expect him to cover any incidental expenses I incurred.

On the other hand I don't work for the US Navy.
Old Dec 15, 14, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I saw a TV story on this that says the Navy will pick up the change fee. So what's the big deal? If I were Spirit, I'd take the Navy's money instead of losing the $100. Wouldn't you?
Old Dec 15, 14, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
for shame, for shame
Old Dec 15, 14, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I think I saw a TV story on this that says the Navy will pick up the change fee. So what's the big deal? If I were Spirit, I'd take the Navy's money instead of losing the $100. Wouldn't you?
I assure you they will not.

I think the unique thing here is the deployment was formally extended. Vice someone in the military complaining they were a service member and not treated well.
Old Dec 16, 14, 2:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost View Post
the person bought a ticket under clearly expressed terms and Spirit should simply be applying those terms. EOS IMO.
You haven't explained WHY they should not choose to ease up on their rules, which they clearly have a right to do.
Old Dec 16, 14, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by JackE View Post
You haven't explained WHY they should not choose to ease up on their rules, which they clearly have a right to do.
Revenue protection. If inflexible tickets are actually flexible for [certain demographic], why would any person in that demographic ever purchase a flexible ticket?
Old Dec 16, 14, 7:25 am

Programs: United, Delta, American
What you pay for is what you get. Spirit is the low cost carrier, don't expect much in return except a seat on an airplane. I think it is awful that they charge a $100 penalty for not flying.
Old Dec 16, 14, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'd like to know why this ticket was purchased outside of the travel program. Most of my military friends are either abroad or part of special units and the few I asked have their travel arrangements made for them to report to and return from theater.

I am standing with Spirit on this one and hope they don't waiver.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: