Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone book on PEOPLExpress yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Anyone book on PEOPLExpress yet?

Haven't seen much on the boards about them. Am hoping they do well. The east coast could use a little more competition. WN has shrunk or cut a few Airtran routes, so any additional service is always welcome.

My only qualm is paying to put a bag in the overhead.

I'd love for them to eventually enter Charlotte (or even Concord, where Allegiant is). Maybe one day...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I considered it, but considering how the airport is in a not-so-nice neighborhood, and I wouldn't be able to get out of there until 1:20PM at the earliest (flight to PHF from BOS arrives at 9:40AM, late enough to miss the first round of US flights and the first northbound Amtrak train of the day), I decided not to go.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by diburning
I considered it, but considering how the airport is in a not-so-nice neighborhood, and I wouldn't be able to get out of there until 1:20PM at the earliest (flight to PHF from BOS arrives at 9:40AM, late enough to miss the first round of US flights and the first northbound Amtrak train of the day), I decided not to go.
What's wrong with the neighborhood around PHF?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
Anyone book on PeopleExpress yet?

Strip shopping centers are apparently scary. Bland yes, bad area not really.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by TTTTroll
Bland yes
Bland, literally

900 Bland Blvd., Newport News, VA

But 4 hours at PHF is enough time to rent a car and go see the Mariners' Museum or Newport News Park.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
People's Express

Sorry if this is already being discussed in another thread but i did a search and didn't see it.

I was just channel surfing when i saw a news story on People's Express, apparently it is back and will operate as a discount airline, much like it did 30 years ago.

Anyone hear anything about this?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
PEOPLExpress inaugural flight was 6am this morning Newport News to Boston.

found one minor thread in Budget North and South American Airlines

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 2, 2014 at 1:00 am Reason: Deleted same thread URL
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:54 pm

Carfield has already provided a TR for the EWR-PHF and PHF-PIT inaugurals

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...30-2014-a.html
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:18 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to the N. and S. America Budget Airline forums. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
PEOPLExpress is not related to the original, and the website can be found here: www.flypex.com
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:29 am

They're off to an...interesting start. Their inaugural flight had the aircraft subbed to a Vision Airlines 737-300. No "Living Large" seats on that aircraft since it wasn't meant to be operated for PEOPLExpress.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by diburning
They're off to an...interesting start. Their inaugural flight had the aircraft subbed to a Vision Airlines 737-300. No "Living Large" seats on that aircraft since it wasn't meant to be operated for PEOPLExpress.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't they currently have only one aircraft in the People Express livery and with the "Living Large" seats?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:34 pm

That's the rumor based on the fact that they only had about a month to scrape the service together. I'm not sure how true that rumor is although it probably is. I heard that they were going to wet lease at least 3 more and hope to have a fleet of 6 by the end of the year.

The 737-300 sent by Vision wasn't supposed to be part of the PEOPLExpress operation. They have 3 737-400s for that purpose.

I could tell that they decided to sub the aircraft the weekend before the flight because the Living Large section on the seat map magically disappeared and row 1 was a regular seat. On top of that, all the seats had 31 inches of pitch (with the exception of the right side of row 2, which was probably an oversight). The PEOPLExpress configured aircraft has the Living Large seats in front, 32 inches of pitch in the rows between Living Large and the emergency exit row, and 31 inches of pitch for all the seats behind the emergency exit row.

The PEOPLExpress painted plane and with the LL config ended up going to Newark.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I did. Going to fly their inaugural PHF-PBI flight on Monday July 14th. Let me know if anyone else is around. Here's hoping it's enjoyable enough to make the three hour drive up from Durham
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:47 pm

Was meant to have my first flight tonight out of EWR to PHF except it got cancelled due to the storm. No online check in, no flight status available until earlier this evening. Checked a few times on my way to the airport on the website and the 10pm was on time until it was delayed til 2am which hit while I was standing in line to check in at a counter. Except the flight had already been canceled by then and the 2 counter agents they had anticipated handling a 737 of people who couldn't check in online were flailing wildly trying to rebook/credit people. The company line is that they couldn't refund people since it was "weather" related, only credit people for future flights. I can't imagine that's true, but I figured I'd try my luck at the flight tomorrow so wasn't worth the argument.

So I called to try and rebook and save myself at least an hour in line. Rep who picked up had no idea that the flight was cancelled. That's scary. She rebooked me and encouraged me to get to the airport 2 hours before departure since I'll have to check in at the counter.

Needless to say, pretty terrible experience and I haven't even stepped foot on the plane yet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.