GOL seat assignments

Old May 31, 14, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA BD SA
Question GOL seat assignments

When booking on the GOL web site I am able to choose seats - but only for the back half of the cabin. It seems that the forward half is blocked at this stage. (My flights are in September if that matters.)

It's not a huge deal but I would really prefer to sit forward of the wing to enjoy good views from the window. Now I am wondering:

1. Do the forward seats become available closer to the time?
2. Will I be able to change my seats later (preferably on line) if I select seats now?
3. Am I better off not selecting seats now - i.e. is a selection now going to limit my options later?

Thanks for any advice or insights.
Old May 31, 14, 10:58 am

This is interesting. I don't think I've been able to get a seat assignment prior to check-in before, but we have a flight in June, so will have to check our options. We are in Brazil so can phone. Where are you flying to and from? Connecting either to or from an international flight, or on its own? I don't believe Gol has premium seats except perhaps exit rows and bulk head. I can't imagine why half of the plane would be filled. Is the rest showing empty or just has some empty seats? Why do you think a forward seat would give you a better view? Can you get a window seat in the rear now? Dealing with airlines online can be difficult.

The number listed here http://www.voegol.com.br/en-us/atend...s/default.aspx appears to be in the U.S. Recording says press 2 to speak English.
Old May 31, 14, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
This is interesting. I don't think I've been able to get a seat assignment prior to check-in before, but we have a flight in June, so will have to check our options. We are in Brazil so can phone. Where are you flying to and from? Connecting either to or from an international flight, or on its own? I don't believe Gol has premium seats except perhaps exit rows and bulk head. I can't imagine why half of the plane would be filled. Is the rest showing empty or just has some empty seats? Why do you think a forward seat would give you a better view? Can you get a window seat in the rear now? Dealing with airlines online can be difficult.

The number listed here http://www.voegol.com.br/en-us/atend...s/default.aspx appears to be in the U.S. Recording says press 2 to speak English.
Lots of questions! Let's see...
Flying GRU/CGB/GRU and GRU/IGU/GRU.
These are stand alone trips.
The seat map shows the front half the plane unavailable, the rest is wide open give or take a seat or two.
Forward seats don't look onto the wing, hence the better view especially if photo opportunities present themselves.
Yes, I can pick and choose seats in the back half of the plane.

Thanks for the number link. I won't be calling... between the costs of calls and our lousy broadband for Skype it just isn't worth it.

I take it then that GOL doesn't have a well developed "Manage your booking" facility on line that enables one to make or change seat assignments?
Old Jun 8, 14, 6:18 am
Original Poster

This got even more interesting!!

I ended up booking GRU/CGB, CGB/CWB/IGU and IGU/GRU on 3 separate tickets.
1. Seating for GRU/CGB was as I described: blocked from the front as far back as row 22 (with the exception of the window seats in the exit row).
2. The seat map for GRU/CWB was the other way around: i.e. open until about row 22 and blocked from there all the way back. I plopped us into row 2 and immediately the seat map reversed the configuration - it now shows the front of the plane blocked but with our 2 seats still there!
3. CWB/IGU followed the pattern of 1.
4. IGU/GRU followed the pattern of 2 except all seats in the exit row are now showing as bookable.

I simply cannot imagine what the logic is behind the seating availability algorithm on GOL flights is. Be interesting to see what shows up when OLCI opens...
Old Jun 8, 14, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD Diamante, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA View Post
I simply cannot imagine what the logic is behind the seating availability algorithm on GOL flights is. Be interesting to see what shows up when OLCI opens...
What makes you think there is one?
Old Jun 9, 14, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qfrodo View Post
What makes you think there is one?
You're right... what was I thinking??

Old Jun 11, 14, 3:26 pm

Trying to discern logic of seat availability in such situations with any airline is a sure way to drive one to drink. I deal with Brazilian airlines, and feel preventive medicine is best, so I drink beforehand.
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD Diamante, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Trying to discern logic of seat availability in such situations with any airline is a sure way to drive one to drink. I deal with Brazilian airlines, and feel preventive medicine is best, so I drink beforehand.
^
Old Jun 27, 14, 6:14 am
Original Poster

I changed my GRU/CGB flight - moved it by a day - and the seat map, which previously only offered the rear of the aircraft, now only offers the front!

Such fun - it's like a little lottery!
Old Jul 2, 14, 3:03 pm

Rows 1-7 have 50% more reclining in Golīs 737s ^
Old Jul 3, 14, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Welcome to FT gusdullius!

Originally Posted by gusdullius View Post
Rows 1-7 have 50% more reclining in Golīs 737s ^
Thanks for the information. I hope the extra recline comes with extra leg room - the one without the other is not a benefit! If it does I will be happy as we have seats for 3 of our 4 flights assigned in the first couple of rows.
Old Oct 31, 14, 6:09 am

Programs: LH, A3, DL, UA, LAN
Quite interesting your observations Cheetah_SA - I just found this topic when looking for Exit row advice on Gol. On my flight AEP-GRU the forward half of the cabin is blocked, while the back is wide open.
Old Nov 2, 14, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA View Post
Welcome to FT gusdullius!

Thanks for the information. I hope the extra recline comes with extra leg room - the one without the other is not a benefit! If it does I will be happy as we have seats for 3 of our 4 flights assigned in the first couple of rows.
No extra space that I've noticed.
Old Dec 17, 14, 9:48 am

Programs: BMI Diamon Club
I hope it's ok to hijack this thread rather than start a new one

I've got a flight with Gol, but booked with Iberia:

MAD-GRU on Iberia, then the Brazilian leg with Gol.

Any idea if I can book a seat with Gol in advance? I tried typing my ''localizador'' from Iberia on to the Gol site, but it didn't recognise it.
Old Dec 17, 14, 11:07 am

Last time we flew Gol (3 weeks ago) the first six rows were "comfort seats." A bit more room than the others. We were put in that section automatically since we had booked our whole trip-- both domestic and international flights-- at biz class fare through Delta, but otherwise I believe you can pay for an upgrade, though perhaps only at the airport (which could explain why those rows don't appear at initial booking).

When flying on two airlines, the airline I booked through sometimes said I'd just have to get a seat assignment with the second one at the airport, though at times I was able to contact the second airline directly and get a locator code for that flight. Note that on Gol, you have to pay for any snacks or beverages other than water from a large bottle. On one flight my wife and I bought sandwiches. They weren't bad.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: