How is BQB Lineas Aereas?

Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.

Hi All,

I am looking for a bit of hopping about between Argentina and Uruguay later on this year, after a work trip to MDQ. I noticed a Uruguayan airline called BQB L.A., which I've never heard of before, that does flights AEP-PDP (P. d. Este) and MVD-EZE.

These trips are good for me, in theory, as I'll arrive in AEP (from MDQ) on AR - with a 90 minute transfer time (assuming AR don't live down to their reputation) and leave from EZE (to AMS, via GIG) 6 hours after the BQB arrival from MVD.

Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of this airline? Specifically, how is their reliability? (I've been warned that AR frequently cancel flights for no apparent reason, so I looked at options). I've noticed that neither Expedia nor FlightStats seems aware of this airline - is that a bad omen?

Should I stick with the safe option of taking overnight stays in BsAs, or put my trust in the BQB/AR 'connexions'?

I know there are other (non-flying) options for travel between BsAs, Montevideo and PdE (busses, ferries, etc.) but I do like flying on different airlines, in the Spirit of FT Adventure.

Any advice is much appreciated.

-- Henry
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:47 pm

This is the only TR I've seen about them, and it's a few years old: here

One really doesn't see too much about BQB, but they seem to be a well run carrier.

Hopefully someone else can assist more.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
My only attempt at flying BQB failed when the airline cancelled the flight. Thus I went by ferry. I do think it is a well run company, and certainly better than Aerolineas. I did come across a Youtube video which you might try to find. I believe the company is growing.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like it may be quite a treat to fly with them.

-- H
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:30 am

I have flown them MVD-AEP back in march.
Very well-run ops I must say (I too was faced with the unreliable AR or unknown BQB dilemma).

They do things 'old school' , with manual boarding passes and Pre-printed baggage tags. I did find it quaint to be asked for seat preference and then the agent placed a sticker with my seat number on it (I didn't bother checking if they had web checkin, such a short hop).

There is actually inflight service on a 45mn flt. You get a sandwich and a drink in a real glass.

My only caveat is that the aircraft, Q400, is not parked nearby the terminal (I doubt that the airline has much say on this) so you need to wait for the bus and wait for it to fill up to reach the terminal, when you are literally 300' away!

I would fly BQB again (though my one time experience can't speak for their OTP, surely it can't be worse than AR's)
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:47 am
Original Poster

I've now booked the trip: AEP-PDP and then MVD-EZE going back. Just to be safe, I gave myself an overnight in BsAs in case the inbound AR flight (MDQ-AEP) is more than 1 hour late (not unlikely, if reports I've heard about AR are to be believed).

I'll post a short summary of my experiences here after the trip (early November).

-- H
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Speedbird84
This is the only TR I've seen about them, and it's a few years old: here
And this one: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...e-airline.html

Short version: it's excellent!
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I wonder if BQB interlines luggage with LAN. Buquebus also has a new ferry, the Francisco, which cuts the travel time between BsAs and MVD to just over two hours, downtown to downtown. A beautiful ship, named after the new pope.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:31 am
Original Poster

The Story so far: Not Excellent but Crazy!!!

So, I'll give the basic timeline of events; but first, for comparison, a trip booked with the 'Famously Unreliable' Aerolineas Argentinas, by way of comparison ...
09-Aug: Booked (Expedia): AEP-MDQ 19:15, 20-Oct; MDQ-AEP 07:35, 26-Oct;
13-Aug: Email from Expedia: Changed to AEP-MDQ @17:15
30-Aug: Email from Expedia: Changed to MDQ-AEP @07:35 (sic)*
20-Oct: At AEP, flight delayed! Actual departure time = 18:30! (No big deal)
26-Oct: At MDQ, flight delayed! Actual departure = 10:05!! (Still no big)
This is the sort of thing I was led to expect from Aerolineas/Austral.

Now, for the BQB trip ...
30-Aug: Booked (Opodo): AEP-PDP 14:50, 27-Oct; MVD-EZE 09:30, 31-Oct;**
26-Sep: Email from Opodo: Changed to MVD-EZE @10:30 (still OK)
20-Oct: Email from BQB: Changed to AEP-PDP @14:30 (no problem)
25-Oct: Email from BQB: AEP-PDP cancelled; moved to AEP-PDP @17:40***
26-Oct: At AEP, flight delayed (again), actual departure was 18:05.
The check-in staff at AEP were excellent and the flight was good - but not as good as previous reports suggested (no Champagne, only soft drinks, and a sandwich & chocolate biscuit in a plastic bag). The safety video, though, was excellent, taking a Charlie Chaplin style approach to keeping passengers' attention.

So, I arrived in Punta del Este ~6 hours late but no real problems.

Yesterday, however, things started to get hectic. More soon - the maid wants me out of my room so she can clean it ...

-- Henry

* But the flight number changed from AU2603 to AR1603
** The timing of the MVD-EZE flight is quite critical, as I have an onward, EZE...GLA departing 15:45 on 31-Oct
*** Actually, the flight is shown on the website as 17:00, but they put in a delay already.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Ok, to continue (sorry for the interruption, but there are three types of people the Experienced Traveller does not argue with: Customs/Immigration Officers, Lounge Dragons and Hotel Maids) ...

So, I'm in Punta del Este, with limited internet access; when I managed to check my email (yesterday/Tuesday evening), there was a message, sent on Monday morning, from Opodo (in French, from info "at" opodo.fr, for some strange reason) saying that my flight, MVD-EZE on Thursday was 'cancelled' and that I have been rebooked on the 18:30 MVD-AEP flight (arrives 18:20).

This, of course, is completely useless (15:40 departure from EZE)! I replied to opodo.fr, explaining my situation, but received no reply. So, I emailed BQB directly (I had their email address from the previous notifications of changes to the outbound). Incidentally, I also asked, in my original reply to BQB, if my return was still OK; they confirmed that it was.

I've now received a reply from BQB saying that the information from opodo.fr is incorrect, and that the MVD-EZE 10:30 flight is as scheduled. They will let me know if anything changes.

So, in summary, BQB is generally a nice, elegant airline (and they are expanding their route network - already serving Rio, Sao Paulo, Florianapolis and Iguazu, and they will soon be buying some Airbuses to serve Santiago de Chile). There was never any reason given for the cancellation of my original AEP-PDP flight; however, I suspect it was simply due to a very low load factor (the later flight which, presumably, had all the other pax from my original, had only 25 pax on board - the ATR-75 holds up to ~70 pax).

BQB have an office in town, here in Punta DE, so I'll probably pop in to double-check either later on today or just before I board my bus to Montevideo tomorrow (the office is at the bus terminal). As an emergency option, I guess I could always get an evening flight to BUE on 30-OCT, and take an overnight there.

I can't fault the friendliness and helpfulness of the BQB staff (both in face-to-face contact and via email). Another poster described it as an 'Old Style' airline: well, despite some peculiar (and mildly frustrating) schedule changes, they certainly maintain 'Old Style' manners and courtesy.

Here's hoping everything works OK, and that I get back home without too much further angst!

-- Henry

PS: I'll be chasing up Opodo when I'm back home, just to know why they sent me this incorrect notification.
Old May 10, 2014, 5:07 am

I just booked a flight with http://www.flybqb.com.uy and i need to contact them
I did thru their website : no answers for weeks with a message in english and spanish

so next time , i will use another airline because their "no answer" policy is unacceptable
Old May 22, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Seems BQB is getting some a319 aircraft......and in fact already has at least one in possession. I saw an a319 in full BQB livery at the airport when passing through MVD over the weekend. It was parked at a remote spot on the tarmac rather than at the terminal so I don't know if it is service yet.

According to the following article, they are to get 3 x a319 deliveries. Will have to see what routes they are used on.

http://www.afm.aero/news/item/1378-b...pts-first-a319
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:51 pm

Bunch of thiefs

I was booked on a BQB flight, but the flight was cancelled a week before (in fact, the flight did not exist between SCL and MVD, but they sold it to me anyway).

After several phone calls and many emails, it is now six weeks later and I have not received my money back, nor a reimbursement of my other costs. They now still owe me 830USD of which I do not expect to see a single cent.

Do not fly BQB: they cannot be trusted!!!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Very interesting thread, some like them - others say they rip you off. This airline flies non-stop from MVD (Montevideo) to ASU (Asuncion)... and is the only one that does (unless I want to fly at 2am). No thanks Amazonas! Anyway, when I go to book the flight it shows as U$434. I assume this means Uruguayan New Pesos? If true, this means it's $17.50 USD. That seems ridiculously cheap for a 2 hr 45 min flight to Asuncion. Is it USD they mean? Or perhaps this fare is not for foreigners? I did click "Other countries" when they asked where I was from.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.