FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other North and South American Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-north-south-american-airlines-472/)
-   -   Volaris (Mexico) expands flight schedules (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-north-south-american-airlines/1426310-volaris-mexico-expands-flight-schedules.html)

JDiver Jan 10, 2013 11:33 am

Volaris (Mexico) expands flight schedules

Volaris has begun flying weekly MEX-DEN flights (Dec 2012), and has announced they will add other flights this year (as well as three more A320 series aircraft to the existing fleet of 41) this year.

Currently, Volaris serves a number of US cities: Orlando, Chicago (Midway), Denver, Las Vegas, Mexicali and in California, San Diego, Los Angeles, Fresno, San José, Oakland and Sacramento.

They are also launching two new flights in February 2013, Mexico City to Mérida, Yucatán and to Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas. Later they will launch Tijuana - Cancún, which will make it easier for southern California flyers to find alternate, nonstop flights between the San Diego area to CUN. Volaris already serves a number of Mexican destinations from Tijuana nonstop.

Their partnership with Southwest has enabled them to continue growth; they currently serve 10 cities in the USA.

Their baggage policies are restrictive - 15 kg / 33 lbs checked. They do offer +10, +15 and +20 kg supplemental allowances, which are discounted if purchased at the same time as booking (MXN 599, 799 and 999, approximately USD $47 - 79). They offer premium seating at additional cost as well. (Volaris is a LCC with an "a la carte" pricing structure; payment can be made online with a credit card or via PayPal, with no extra fees if purchased online.)

M60_to_LGA Jan 18, 2013 11:22 pm

Has anyone flown these guys, and, if so, how were they? They put a bunch of ads up in the NYC subway last year, but I've never known anyone who's actually used this airline. I'd be curious to know if they're halfway decent.

DarrenChannel Jan 19, 2013 2:50 pm

I've flown Volaris within Mexico, and they're a good airline. Would definitely recommend them. Complimentary alcoholic beverages on-board, snacks, and friendly staff.

But re: NYC subway ads, are you perhaps confusing Volaris with their Mexican low-cost competitor, Interjet? Interjet began flying to JFK last year, whereas Volaris has not yet entered the NYC market (Volaris' US flights are limited to California, Las Vegas, Denver, and Chicago for the moment).

Either way, I've flown both carriers regularly, and would not hesitate to recommend either one. No business class or lounge access with either of these two carriers, but they both offer a good solid economy class product.

Kay_nyc Jan 19, 2013 6:11 pm

Can I redeem SW rapid rewards for flights on Volaris?

silviar Feb 3, 2013 5:15 pm

Volaris club - worth it?

Any of you signed up for this or know what discounts you are likely to get if you pay for the volaris club, thanks

silviar Feb 3, 2013 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc (Post 20084289)
Can I redeem SW rapid rewards for flights on Volaris?

I don't think so at the moment based on my research

saturnino3 Feb 6, 2013 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by silviar (Post 20179701)
Any of you signed up for this or know what discounts you are likely to get if you pay for the volaris club, thanks

I made the mistake of purchasing the Volaris' V-Club. The "special" fares for members are only useful if you're purchasing a ticket at their normal fare and even then it's a $5-$7 USD difference.

Previously based in TIJ (now OAK), I noticed that Volaris's best sales are around XMAS/NYE/March 16 (their anniversary) when offer very, very cheap tickets.

I would save the $49 USD and sign up for their e-mail newsletter. They like to offer crazy promos for flights 6-10 months out. Save 70% for November 2013 flights, etc.

Great airline though. Very nice planes, free booze, and good service.

silviar Feb 7, 2013 8:59 am

Originally Posted by saturnino3 (Post 20199448)
I made the mistake of purchasing the Volaris' V-Club. The "special" fares for members are only useful if you're purchasing a ticket at their normal fare and even then it's a $5-$7 USD difference.

Previously based in TIJ (now OAK), I noticed that Volaris's best sales are around XMAS/NYE/March 16 (their anniversary) when offer very, very cheap tickets.

I would save the $49 USD and sign up for their e-mail newsletter. They like to offer crazy promos for flights 6-10 months out. Save 70% for November 2013 flights, etc.

Thanks for the info, I have searched everywhere looking for a review of the club, this is great, my husband and the dog flew on volaris before Christmas without any problems, while everyone we knew was overbooked on Aeromexico and lost vacation time, and united canceled a flight coming and going for my mom, so volaris was the shining star for this year, but I realize "your trip may vary" YTMV, ok thanks, very helpful info , there doesn't seem to be any way to use mileage, they only offer discounts.

Teresita Mar 21, 2013 10:00 am

VClub

Originally Posted by saturnino3 (Post 20199448)

Thanks for this info. I was just about to sign up. I'll save my $!

saturnino3 Oct 17, 2013 10:53 am

Update on VClub: The redesigned Volaris.com site shows normal and Vclub fares when booking a ticket. If you're flying with volaris more than 1 roundtrip, the savings are worth it on certain routes (OAK-GDL, etc) since they savings are about $20 USD per segment.

Does anyone know the schedule for the seasonal OAK-MEX non-stop? Connecting through GDL is a pain.

N830MH Oct 23, 2013 12:46 am

Originally Posted by silviar (Post 20179707)
I don't think so at the moment based on my research

Unfortunately, Volaris is no longer to be with Southwest. You can't earned the points. Sorry. :(

8tracks Jan 3, 2014 5:51 pm

I just flew Volaris from PVR to TIJ. It was significantly cheaper than flying Alaska from PVR-SAN, but the savings were offset by the stress of making our flight. We paid an extra fee (maybe $6 USD a seat) to get assigned seats together in row 3. At the airport kiosk the seats were still in row three but only one of our four boarding passes printed out. When I tried again our seats were no longer together up front but now scattered in the rear of the plane. After talking to a rep, we were told we had to wait in the line that was barely moving and see an agent about printing our boarding passes. The agent said he could not do anything about our seat assignments nor could he explain why I was holding a BP with a "3C" seat assignment that now belonged to somebody else. After an hour in the ticket line and 10+ minutes in the security line we barely made our flight.

On board we had to pay $25 MEX for soft drinks.