Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aerolineas Argentinas - any recent experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
One thing I really like about Aerolíneas is that almost all of their Boings 737 are quite new. Only a few 737-700 are older than 10 years.

Here in Europe planes that are younger than 10 years seem to be the exception thesis days if you avoid the likes of Norwegian. This year I have flown on ancient (some 20 year-old planes ) from Swiss (have stopped flying with them intra-Europe because of the ancient planes), Air France, KLM and Lufthansa.

So, I just bought tickets to fly with AR and I am really looking forward to flying a fairly new Boeing 737! It's been quite a while.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I have a flight coming up with AR later this year: AEP-FTE r/t. Wondering what can I expect in terms of F&B?
It appears from media reports that the business class is being removed. President Macri approved it. Too many politicians and staff members were getting free upgrades, apparantly, and the cabin was not profitable... Aim is for AR to be profitable by 2019.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Below, you will see the delicious offerings in the cushy seats on the SCL/EZE route. You get the same thing in both directions. I would imagine you get the same thing on all of their flights.

As it first arrived

As the artistry was taking shape

The conclusion of the artist's work
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
At first glance it looked extremely unappealing, but good job with the fusion, looks much nicer 😂
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

How old is your photo? I got the exact same thing back in 2016.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by solewalker
How old is your photo? I got the exact same thing back in 2016.
October 2017. One can also enjoy replicas of these delicacies in the AR lounge @ EZE, also wrapped for your convenience. I was particularly impressed by the fine crystal stemware in which AR serves its front cabin water.
HalconBCN likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:18 pm

Which flight to Ushuaia?

My husband and I are going on an Antarctica cruise in November, departing from Ushuaia. I've already booked our r/t SFO-EZE (via EWR) flights on UA business class (we currently have lowly silver status) and need to book our domestic r/t Buenos Aires to Ushuaia flight this week. The UA flight lands at EZE at 10:50 am on Friday; my cruise sets sail from Ushuaia Sunday afternoon. I'm 90% sure we're gonna have checked luggage. Unfortunately, the lone EZE-USH flight on Friday departs before my UA flight lands, so that's not an option. I'm trying to decide between these other options:
  1. Try to catch the last (AR) AEP-USH flight of day which departs at 3:35 pm on Friday. Is 4.5 hours enough time to get from EZE to AEP (w/ all the immigration, customs, luggage stuff) during that time of day?
  2. Get some rest/overnight in BA and take the lone LATAM flight on Saturday, departing at 4:50 am. The higher checked luggage allowance on LATAM makes this flight appealing. However, I'm worried if anything is canceled, I'm screwed because LATAM only operates one AEP-USH flight or I can only take the last LATAM USH-AEP flight on my intended travel days. I've heard LATAM won't put you other airline metal in the event of cancelation.
  3. Overnight in BA and take AR Austral flight at 10:10 am on Saturday. This might be seem like the safest choice, but it also gives me the least amount of cushion time in Ushuaia before the cruise embarkation.
My biggest priority is to Ushuaia in time so I don't miss the boat (literally), it'd be nice to have a full day in Ushuaia to explore Tierra del Fuego before the cruise. We bought travel insurance for this trip, since it's mandatory for the cruise. We're just gonna fly economy for the AEP-USH flights, and option 1 (most expensive), is about $250 per person more than option 2 (the cheapest). Given what you know about possible delays or cancelations along w/ each airline's re-ticketing policy in those events, which option would you recommend I take?

Last edited by EmpressRouge; Jul 10, 2018 at 10:48 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:45 pm

4.5 hours should be enough time - take that option.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
My biggest priority is to Ushuaia in time so I don't miss the boat (literally), it'd be nice to have a full day in Ushuaia to explore Tierra del Fuego before the cruise. We bought travel insurance for this trip, since it's mandatory for the cruise. We're just gonna fly economy for the AEP-USH flights, and option 1 (most expensive), is about $250 per person more than option 2 (the cheapest). Given what you know about possible delays or cancelations along w/ each airline's re-ticketing policy in those events, which option would you recommend I take?
Scary Story # 1: I find myself standing behind a lady at the UA Customer Service counter holding wedding gifts at ORD (I was going to GRU and mine was also cancelled... but that's not the scary part!!!) Her ORD-CDG flight was cancelled and she was scheduled to be at a wedding the next day and she was arguing with the agent at 10 PM to get on any flight to Paris to get her there the next day -- well, none existed. Oops!

Scary Story # 2: I was seated on a flight from SEA to Ketchikan next to several pax who were on a (I believe a UA) flight from the Midwest to SEA the previous morning and were scheduled to be on a cruise that same afternoon. Well... their flight was cancelled and their ship departed, so they were desperately flying Alaska Airlines to try and catch up with the ship at the next port.

I have embarked on cruises from Ushuaia 3 times and two of those to Antarctica. If you book the air with the operator, they will (if they are in their right minds) make sure you arrive at least the day before. Nowhere in the world is it guaranteed you will arrive where you need to be on the day you need to be there. So rule of thumb is when you have a big ticket item which you absolutely cannot miss (business meeting, wedding, cruise, birth of your first born etc.) ALWAYS be there at least the day before and take time to stop and smell the flowers once you're there. Rather than the stench of your guilt and remorse that you didn't, in case your flight gets cancelled. Plus, as you said, USH is a stunningly sited city and has fjords and the nearby PN Tierra del Fuego to keep you entertained for a day...if not more. And the food... OMG. Centolla (King Crab) and Lamb ravioli. Need I say more :-)

Also, flash strikes can paralyze air transport in Argentina without advance notice and all flights can get cancelled at will. Whenever I need to fly to USH, I actually research bus options from Rio Gallegos or El Calafate, just in case. That is an extreme circumstance but I err on the side of caution.

So should you. If all goes well, a 4.5h transfer EZE-->AEP should be fine so I would get to USH sooner rather than later... as on Friday. However, either flight on Saturday will also be OK if there are no IRROPs.
Eastbay1K and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:51 am

We have transferred EZE to AEP on AR in 41/2 hours with no problem. I recommend arranging a remis such as from Tienda Leon for the transfer. You can book this ahead of arrival. I actually traveled 10 segments on airlines in Argentina over a four week period and never had a cancellation or miss-connect. I think that was testing the odds though. Personally I would have have allowed an extra day or two even beyond your plan for USH, but probably everything will be fine.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
I have a flight coming up with AR later this year: AEP-FTE r/t. Wondering what can I expect in terms of F&B?
It appears from media reports that the business class is being removed. President Macri approved it. Too many politicians and staff members were getting free upgrades, apparantly, and the cabin was not profitable... Aim is for AR to be profitable by 2019.

How can an international flag carrier, not have business class? So nothing to MIA in business, why don't they simply liquidate the airline?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Don't you get proper business meals (fine steak, king crab, good wines, etc.) on long haul routs, such as MIA?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:03 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Don't you get proper business meals (fine steak, king crab, good wines, etc.) on long haul routs, such as MIA?
I assume you're being sarcastic, but as far as I can tell the business class cabin is being removed only on narrowbodies, I haven't seen anything suggesting it's going away on longhaul flights. That said the meals in longhaul business class are far from luxurious.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
What is being removed is the Club Economy class, which was the half-Business, half-Premium Economy service available on domestic flights on Embraers and 737s. It was a seat similar to US domestic first class and they also gave you a free soft drink and some awful sandwich, but there was neither lounge access nor Sky Priority. Demand for Club Economy tickets was apparently low, and most pax using it were actually ST Elite Plus - under AR rules, any ST Elite Plus travelling in Economy on a domestic flight can ask for an upgrade to Club Economy is there's availability.

Club Cóndor, the Business Class on A340s, A330s and 737s operating international flights, stays.
Brucemcdou likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Marambio
What is being removed is the Club Economy class, which was the half-Business, half-Premium Economy service available on domestic flights on Embraers and 737s. It was a seat similar to US domestic first class and they also gave you a free soft drink and some awful sandwich, but there was neither lounge access nor Sky Priority.
That's my understanding as well: it's being removed from domestic single aisle planes only. There's also two 23 kg checked bags included. Just booked two seats in Club Economy, r/t from AEP - MDZ - EZE for the end of August. I was able to select seats both ways that were clearly still the Club Economy layout, so I'm just hoping they don't change those seats out in the next month! I'll come back here and add a report, but may be a moot point soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.