Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aerolineas Argentinas - any recent experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Recently flew JFK-EZE in business class on the A330-200 with angled lie-flat seats and AVOD (albeit with a limited selection). Flights were on time, and service was very average - i'd compare it to a UA or AA longhaul business class (so in that regard and from reading this thread, AR far exceeded my expectations). Not disappointed but everything happened to have gone smoothly.

Was very surprised to find that there is no alcohol on domestic flights when I flew EZE-IGR, not even in business class...
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:35 pm

Seemed quite good internally in Y

We just flew aerolineas internally and had a good experience. The plans were both new. Embrarer 190 with AVOD in all seats and a 787-800 which the sky interior but no AVOD. Both flights left on time and arrived early and our bags showed up too. It's not the best experience I've ever had, but it's probably better than my average united experience.

One final flight on a 787-700 that was quite old inside. Still left/arrived on time, but it certainly wasn't as nice as the other flights

Last edited by ASaidi; Mar 13, 2014 at 8:47 pm
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Recently flew JFK-EZE in business class on the A330-200 with angled lie-flat seats and AVOD (albeit with a limited selection). Flights were on time, and service was very average - i'd compare it to a UA or AA longhaul business class (so in that regard and from reading this thread, AR far exceeded my expectations). Not disappointed but everything happened to have gone smoothly.

Was very surprised to find that there is no alcohol on domestic flights when I flew EZE-IGR, not even in business class...
Flew them recently (March/April) on the same route.
My biggest fear was long delays, as I was returning to work after the inbound flights.
Very punctual take-offs and landings, competent if not remarkable service, decent seats. Strange that the seats had no power outlets - was told that this was against regulations.
I agree that my expectations were very low, and were far exceeded by the experience.
So at least on this route, in premium cabin, AR seems to be trying hard to shake off their reputation. I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:30 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Flew AR for the first time recently in business class from the US to EZE and back. Just a few thoughts for anyone who may be curious, since there aren't many reviews out there.

The seat is very bad. I have flown a handful of different angled lie-flat seats over the years (including versions from AA, LH, AF, QF, SV, SQ -- most of which are no longer in service), and this might be the worst of all. Seemed like the resting angle is steeper than most. Seemed unusually narrow, though I guess maybe it's just that 2-2-2 business class seating is pretty rare these days -- I kept bumping elbows with the person in the next seat at meals. There is a tiny privacy shield between seats, but it's at the top of the seat back for some reason, so it serves no purpose whatsoever. You are very "exposed" in the bed position.

IFE is okay. Nothing amazing, but a dozen or so recently Hollywood releases plus a number of Argentinian films.

In-seat power is available, as well as USB charging ports. But there isn't much storage anywhere in the seat, including a lack of places to put a phone while it is charging. There is an oddly configured magazine pocket that is nearly horizontal and is right above where your feet go when fully reclined, so if you put anything sizable in the pocket -- like a noise-cancelling headphones case -- it eats into your bed position foot room substantially.

Overhead bins on the A330 are of a strange design, with pull-down bins in the center that are much smaller than the standard A330 center bins. AR is pretty vigilant about weighing carry-ons, at least at EZE, so may not matter much anyway.

Food was not great, but better than I was expecting for an airline of AR's standing. I've attached pictures of the meal -- apologies for the strange coloration due to the mood lighting in the cabin. Lots of cheese. The main courses are cooked in a single tray like in economy so didn't look too thrilling; I had the cheese ravioli which was fine, and the other options were a pork dish or a shrimp dish. No other choices -- everyone got the good salad, the cheese plate (which came out on the tray with the salad), and had the (only) option of a single scoop of ice cream for dessert. I slept through breakfast.

The menu suggested there were a few red and white wine options, but it seemed only one of each was actually available. The wine was decent at least, though the sparkling, or at least the stuff they served before departure, was terrible. According to the menu, other than wine, the only booze options were Bailey's, Cognac, Whisky (no additional detail provided), or beer (likewise).

Crews were mediocre. A few crew members did seem to be genuinely making an attempt to be hospitable, but most were just going through the motions with the minimum effort. But, I've certainly occasionally had worse crews on US airlines.

There isn't really any obvious above-average way to fly between the US and South America, but with all of the nonstop competitive options now offering full flat beds, AR is pretty clearly a full step behind other options. They're not terrible, but certainly if you have another option it would probably be wise to take it.
Attached Images    
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Mrs CC and I are looking to use them for some internal flights when we visit Argentina in November (IGR and MDZ) - it looks to be the best option available for the price.

Baggage weight limits of 15 KG is a little concerning (looks like you can spend around $35 USD to bump that up to a max of 23 KG, which will be a challenge for Mrs CC )

Is it worth bidding on U/G's on these flights and does anyone have experience doing so that can give me a rough idea of costs ?

The fare I am being quoted from their website for the economy seats is NA10D03M6 - is this fare class eligible for bidding upgrade to Club Economy ?

Many Thanks

CC
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: RCI
Smile I{m from buenos aires i talk you my experience

I'm from Buenos Aires and I always travel with aerolineas argentinas.
Is a regular service. Is not exclusive, is not luxury, is not the most confortable. But is fast, is very economic and frienly costumer attention.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
Mrs CC and I are looking to use them for some internal flights when we visit Argentina in November (IGR and MDZ) - it looks to be the best option available for the price.

Baggage weight limits of 15 KG is a little concerning (looks like you can spend around $35 USD to bump that up to a max of 23 KG, which will be a challenge for Mrs CC )

Is it worth bidding on U/G's on these flights and does anyone have experience doing so that can give me a rough idea of costs ?

The fare I am being quoted from their website for the economy seats is NA10D03M6 - is this fare class eligible for bidding upgrade to Club Economy ?

Many Thanks

CC
Hi CC - I have the exact same question around baggage limit, and was trying to understand if it was AR$ 650 to enhance domestic baggage allowance up to 23kg (I would be fine with that) or AR$650 per kilo between 15kg and 23kg (I would not be fine with that!). Did you have any luck finding more information?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
AR Domestic to UA International connection at EZE?

All - we're planning an upcoming business and personal trip to Argentina, and will visit Mendoza after a conference in BA. Internal flight options AEP/EZE - MDZ - AEP/EZE are limited to LAN or Aerolineas Argentinas/Austral. From this thread I see the consensus is to use LAN where available but here's my question: For our return from MDZ to make our international flight out of EZE at 9:20 pm (on United, so different tickets), the LAN options would be either too early or too late. Plus they only fly into AEP, not EZE. If we use the morning LAN flight we'd need to kill about ten hours, some of which would clearly be in the transfer between airports. Aerolineas Argentinas has flights into either AEP or EZE, and has a non-stop flight MDZ-EZE arriving at 5:35 pm (on Austral E-190), which would be just the right amount of time to collect our bags, recheck our bags with United, and hit the lounge before our flight. Lastly, AR offers club economy on the short 1 1/2 hour flights back and forth, which we would prefer for the space, LAN doesn't have an extra space option (we don't have status on OneWorld).

Are we foolish to rely on AR/Austral to get us from MDZ to EZE reasonably on time? Is LAN really that much more reliable that it would be worth sitting in Y for the flight and waiting most of the day for our international flight?

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:40 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

I don't think AR is necessarily as bad as it's made out to be for shorthaul travel -- it's in longhaul that it looks worst compared to other airlines. But that said, there is some risk of disruption due to strikes or who knows what -- hard to say how much risk, though usually strikes are announced with a bit of forewarning.

The Club Economy cabin isn't anything too exciting -- the upgrades to food and drink service are minimal if any -- but agree the space is nice if you're willing to pay for it. It also gives you an extra baggage allowance if that's something you value.

That said, how much time are you thinking is exactly the right amount? It's a tricky call because too early and the United check-in counter at EZE won't be open, but given the risk of delays on the incoming flight (not necessarily AR-specific delays, just the risk you'd have making a plan like this anywhere in the world) I'd ideally want about 4 hours, no less and maybe a bit more.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
I don't think AR is necessarily as bad as it's made out to be for shorthaul travel -- it's in longhaul that it looks worst compared to other airlines. But that said, there is some risk of disruption due to strikes or who knows what -- hard to say how much risk, though usually strikes are announced with a bit of forewarning.
That said, how much time are you thinking is exactly the right amount? It's a tricky call because too early and the United check-in counter at EZE won't be open, but given the risk of delays on the incoming flight (not necessarily AR-specific delays, just the risk you'd have making a plan like this anywhere in the world) I'd ideally want about 4 hours, no less and maybe a bit more.
Thanks for the quick reply, BGriff - I agree that any flight can be delayed for reasons unrelated to the airline itself, and that's a chance we all take in flying.

Regarding the connection, the AR flight would arrive at EZE at 5:35 pm, the United flight to IAH leaves at 9:20 pm, so almost four hours. We'll need to claim our luggage, find our way to the United check-in counter (we have priority status), then get through security and to the gate. If we take the LAN flight we'd arrive at AEP at 10:20 am, leaving almost ten hours to get between the airports and check in, etc. If we end up flying on LAN, we'd probably arrange a private car and driver to pick us up at AEP, take us somewhere for a day trip and lunch, then drop us at EZE. Would welcome any suggestions for lunch/trips, given that we will have already spent six days in BA at the beginning of the trip at a conference that will include a lot of sight-seeing excursions.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bgriff
The Club Economy cabin isn't anything too exciting -- the upgrades to food and drink service are minimal if any -- but agree the space is nice if you're willing to pay for it. It also gives you an extra baggage allowance if that's something you value.
I recall reading that the Club Economy cabin is being downgraded to euro-business type seating (it is currently like domestic US F). I don't know the timing on this. If there's an upgrade to F&B service, I can't imagine what it is. There's no beer/wine/spirits. There's no PDB. For a short hop it is fine.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I recall reading that the Club Economy cabin is being downgraded to euro-business type seating (it is currently like domestic US F). I don't know the timing on this. If there's an upgrade to F&B service, I can't imagine what it is. There's no beer/wine/spirits. There's no PDB. For a short hop it is fine.
huh. Thanks for the heads up Eastbay, had not heard this. We’re willing to pay up for domestic first style seats vs Y seats, but not for European style “blocked middle seat”. Really don’t expect any F&B on a short 1 1/2 hour afternoon flight anyway but will be delighted if there is. Will have to make a decision soon since we’re travellling at the end of August.

Last edited by Brucemcdou; Jun 12, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I had a domestic AR flight with the spacious domestic FC type seats. The "meal" was a bad sandwich wrapped in plastic of the sort you would expect to buy in a gas station convenience store. Beverage choices were something like water or coffee.

Service on board was fine, although boarding was a mess with all of the locals in coach using the SkyPriority lane for no apparent reason and yelling at me for doing so as SkyTeam ElitePlus with a SkyPriority boarding pass. The FA rightly refused to let my seatmate invite his girlfriend to come up from coach even though he argued that there were empty seats up front.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:29 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
By upgrades I meant ways the meal service is better than coach, not that the meal service was getting any better than in the past.

Back to the original question, the almost-4-hours timing for the connection really depends on your risk tolerance. There is definitely a chance -- again, on any airline, not specific to AR -- that a shorthaul flight could for whatever reason get delayed 3+ hours and then, worst case, UA might potentially say they owe you nothing in terms of rebooking you, and you could have to buy a new last-minute ticket to get home. (UA also might take pity on you and rebook you the next day, especially if you have UA status, but they are not obligated to do so.)

Personally in such a situation I would come back to BA the day before your departure and spend another day there, even if you will have already had a bunch of time there earlier in your trip. But all up to your risk tolerance. If you don't want to spend the night, then I would agree that having a day trip through BA could make sense -- I don't have any specific suggestions on where to go but I'm sure you could find some options.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
Going quite frequently in Argentina, I found AR the best way to burn my Flying Blue rupiahs...
So I fly sometimes with AR (and sometimes with LAN).

The premium zone is going to disapear...one day but when (I red 2019)... I believe that if you may buy W tickets you don't have to worry.
You will get a seat configuration like AC E190 1+2
Don't expect a lot about drinks (poor: water, coke, coffee...) and food only some treats or if you're lucky as allready said a service station ham and cheese sandwich.

About the strikes, quite an eventuality there (as a frenchman ...) I would fear more a strike with LAN argentina (one occured few days ago and seemed very strong) as LATAM is downsizing LAN argentina...
About other delays, cross fingers it's winter time.

All my last flights with AR in 2018 and 2017 were well on time, delays for argentinian and "cabotage" flights (delayswho made the reputation of AR) are not so frequent nowadays.

This said, I would choose the AR option...but everything is possible here (even with your 10 hours before LAN flight). "Es la Argentina"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.