Baltia Airlines - NYC - St. Pete & beyond

Old May 2, 12, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Baltia Airlines - NYC - St. Pete & beyond

Read a few articles about the often rumoured Baltia airlines which is going to run service from JFK to St. Pete. Gates have been purchased, airliners and staff are ready to go, just waiting on safety cert's from the FAA.

Much needed route if you ask me. Cool option.

Website is now up.

http://www.baltia.com/

Info about the start up and it's progress towards hitting the sky -

http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards...x?board_id=918
Old May 3, 12, 10:07 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Interesting! I wonder how the ticket prices will be? With the new train connection from Helsinki to St. Pete this is actually a viable alternative. At least if you multi-entry visa to Russia, like I do.
Old May 3, 12, 2:01 pm

Programs: A3*G, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Their frequen-flyer program is quite interesting - basically 10 r/t in Y to have C award, 20r/t in Y for F award. Also all tickets as per website are fully flexible, even in case of no-show
Old May 3, 12, 9:59 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Don't hold your breath: that's a 20 year old start-up.
And an interview with their CEO, taken 3 years ago.
They have planned to launch their service in 2008. Then pushed it to 2009.
Then to 2010.
Then postponed it to the second half of 2011. Now they claim they will start this service sometime in 2012.
Old May 4, 12, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by luitje View Post
Don't hold your breath: that's a 20 year old start-up.
And an interview with their CEO, taken 3 years ago.
They have planned to launch their service in 2008. Then pushed it to 2009.
Then to 2010.
Then postponed it to the second half of 2011. Now they claim they will start this service sometime in 2012.
Yes, but they had quite a progress since. 2 painted planes, gates contracted (at least they claim so), etc
Old May 4, 12, 11:05 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
I've been totally fascinated with this story ever since I first heard about it.

To summarize, there's this old guy who emigrated to the States from the USSR decades ago and he somehow came up with this brilliant idea of starting an airline to fly between NYC and secondary markets in Russia. Using this most fuel-efficient bird which is the 747-200 (must have been the most modern plane the last time the guy flew on one). In three-class configuration, no less. With no feed whatsoever. Oh, and the fact there are no non-stops between LED and the US - surely that's no indication the market is just not there? It's only the narrow-mindedness of the simple folks at DL, SU and others who missed this totally amazing idea.

Do you guys really think this will fly? Please PM me, I have a lovely bridge to sell.

(Or just contact the guy, he's desperately looking for investors as he only needs money to start what will surely be the next Big Thing in aviation.)
Old May 9, 12, 8:23 am

I've always wondered why there wasn't a direct US-LED flight. Especially with the way customs procedures always seem to change in Russia. There are quite of tourists who literally refuse to travel somewhere if there isn't a direct flight.

Then again, even AA's ORD-DME failed. So maybe there just isn't a big enough demand for secondary markets in this game.

After spending lots of time in St Pete, I can assure you I would have flown this several times had it been an option. But maybe that's just me, I personally try to avoid flying through Moscow whenever I can.
Old May 9, 12, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by davewill View Post
I've always wondered why there wasn't a direct US-LED flight. Especially with the way customs procedures always seem to change in Russia. There are quite of tourists who literally refuse to travel somewhere if there isn't a direct flight.

Then again, even AA's ORD-DME failed. So maybe there just isn't a big enough demand for secondary markets in this game.

After spending lots of time in St Pete, I can assure you I would have flown this several times had it been an option. But maybe that's just me, I personally try to avoid flying through Moscow whenever I can.
Usual hubs for LED-USA travel is not MOW (because of backtracking), but FRA/MUC/CPH/HEL/LHR/CDG/AMS
Old May 9, 12, 10:09 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
I personally try to avoid flying through Moscow whenever I can.
That's an interesting choice; having spent quite some time queuing in Pulkovo 2 to struggle through 3 security checks (to get inside, before check-in, and before the gate) I will take any of Moscow's 3 airports over Pulkovo any day.
Old May 10, 12, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by luitje View Post
That's an interesting choice; having spent quite some time queuing in Pulkovo 2 to struggle through 3 security checks (to get inside, before check-in, and before the gate) I will take any of Moscow's 3 airports over Pulkovo any day.
Security check before check-in is long abolished. Althrough I think it is pretty stupid to have security per gate when you are anyway airside (i.e. after immigration). Hope new terminal will have centralized security
Old May 10, 12, 3:27 pm

Luitje, I think my opinion was formed before the Aeroexpress was set up in Moscow. That transfer, regardless of the airport, was a huge pain before those trains went in. Now though, Pulkovo is the one behind the times.

Egor, you may be right, but price-wise I've found Aeroflot through Moscow to be much cheaper than the European options. Still, I like the idea of the direct option through Petersburg.
Old May 11, 12, 9:20 am

Egor, you may be right, but price-wise I've found Aeroflot through Moscow to be much cheaper than the European options. Still, I like the idea of the direct option through Petersburg.
Stangely enough their prices ex-Russia are nowhere that good - ex-LED they are usually well behind LH/AY/KL/AF
Old May 19, 12, 5:57 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I'm not sure I want to fly an airline that has a wingless chicken for its logo.
Old May 20, 12, 3:23 am

Fares NYC-LED will drop once this route is in place.

Its too bad UA doesn't have codeshares with UN ex-DME.
Old May 20, 12, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by MileageAddict View Post
I'm not sure I want to fly an airline that has a wingless chicken for its logo.
Its the imperial symbol of Russia.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: