Allegiant Air charging for overhead bin space

Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
Allegiant Air charging for overhead bin space

Flew this airline once (not my choice), but can definitely say you get what you pay for. Flying cheap is one thing, but this is ridiculous. What next, tokens to use the lav?

http://consumerist.com/2012/04/alleg...medium=twitter
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:19 am

I, (probably the only one) completely agree with this. They still allow one carry on (an ACTUAL carry on) and then charge for anything that isn't a purse, laptop, etc. This is how it should be. The carry ons have gotten out of control. Start charging, no more fighting for bin space.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1P
I don't necessarily disagree either. People need to look at the TOTAL trip cost before determining whether or not the fee is unreasonable. If you can get a substantially lower fare than on a competitor airline then you still may come out ahead and shouldn't complain. If you add up all the costs and fees and find out that it is costing you as much or more, and you have other options, then you're free to take your business elsewhere and the airline will learn a painful lesson.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
I, (probably the only one) completely agree with this. They still allow one carry on (an ACTUAL carry on) and then charge for anything that isn't a purse, laptop, etc. This is how it should be. The carry ons have gotten out of control. Start charging, no more fighting for bin space.
I agree with you there - the bin battles have become crazy. Clearly GA's are not doing their job (as well as they could) with making sure folks have a legit carry-on bag and aren't trying to shove a piece of oversize luggage into a bin.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTBoston
I don't necessarily disagree either. People need to look at the TOTAL trip cost before determining whether or not the fee is unreasonable. If you can get a substantially lower fare than on a competitor airline then you still may come out ahead and shouldn't complain. If you add up all the costs and fees and find out that it is costing you as much or more, and you have other options, then you're free to take your business elsewhere and the airline will learn a painful lesson.
You're right about looking at the total trip cost. I know for me though, I am more than happy to pay for a better experience and service when I fly. The flight sets the tone for the whole trip. I would just rather see airlines turn their planes into billboards rather than nickle-and-diming passengers with silly fees.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by JGfromOC
You're right about looking at the total trip cost. I know for me though, I am more than happy to pay for a better experience and service when I fly. The flight sets the tone for the whole trip. I would just rather see airlines turn their planes into billboards rather than nickle-and-diming passengers with silly fees.
I totally agree.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Flying cheap is one thing, but this is ridiculous.
Would be if it were true. The charge is for gate-checked bag(s), nothing else changed - 1 carryon + 1 personal.

Gate checked bags
$35.00
It may be necessary to gate check baggage including, but not limited to, the following circumstances: stroller taken to the gate, limited overhead bin space, oversized bag taken to the gate.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
From what I've read, you only get one personal bag. The first carryon is subject to the $35 fee. So if you can fit everything into a laptop bag, you're good, otherwise...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Would be if it were true. The charge is for gate-checked bag(s), nothing else changed - 1 carryon + 1 personal.
Allegiant hasn't put the new fees in place yet. This is not for gate-checked bags. These new fees are in addition to their gate checked bag fees.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:21 pm
Suspended

As a statusless, almost-all-the-time-Y-class flyer who is not pinching every penny, I love this idea. If it were up to me, I would allow people to reserve and pay for the overhead bin of their choice.

The current system is backwards. It encourages battling for space by rewarding the "winners" both monetarily (no checked bag charge) and from the baggage carousel/risk of loss perspectives.

Make the checked bags free and charge for reserved overhead bin space.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by JGfromOC
Allegiant hasn't put the new fees in place yet. This is not for gate-checked bags. These new fees are in addition to their gate checked bag fees.
Well that's a bit naughty of them - surprise !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.