Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit now flying to Denver...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Spirit now flying to Denver...

Starting in May, Spirit will be flying to Denver nonstop from Chicago, Fort Lauderdale, Dallas/Fort Worth, and Las Vegas. Certain dates in May will yield $58 roundtrips.

I thought Denver was supposed to be an expensive airport to operate of? Of course, so is ORD and LGA, but New York and Chicago are more important cities, too.

I am glad that Spirit is expanding; I just hope that they aren't doing so too fast...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Here the official release from NK. Here it is:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Spirit...69652.html?x=0

NK will take 4 routes from DEN-FLL/LAS/DFW/ORD.

What's next? SEA? RNO? ABQ? SMF? FAT? COS? BOI?

Thanks all.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA GM/Hyatt Diamond/SPG Gold/HI Plat/HHonor Gold/Delta GM
I just got an email about this new Spirit destination. I am glad Chicago has more cheaper options to DEN.^

Announcing New Service from Denver!
Introductory fares from $28.79* each way, based on roundtrip purchase!

Spirit proudly announces the start of non-stop service from Denver International Airport to Chicago O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Fort Lauderdale and Las Vegas, with connections to 29 additional cities throughout the U.S., Caribbean and Latin America.

To celebrate this new service, we are offering introductory fares from $28.79* each way, based on roundtrip purchase! Hurry and book your flight today!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL GM, F9 50K, NK Gold...AS MVP 50K soon?
I'm not sure what to think about this...

First off, you HAVE to book a round-trip flight on Spirit to get the super-cheap fares...which are indeed cheaper than everything else. If you don't get the cheapo fares, Spirit is comparable to WN/F9 price-wise. As an added bonus, I'll bet Frontier will match Spirit if Spirit offers slightly lower fares, and then Southwest will match Spirit. End result: Spirit won't get any people flying them.

Second, the FLL flight that I looked at (which is definitely a steal, if you're okay with sticking with Spirit's atrocious seat pitch for four hours) was a redeye DEN-FLL and a late evening FLL-DEN. Good for aircraft utilization, sure, but Spirit can forget about filling planes after people fly them once. Sitting in a plane overnight with no recline and no legroom sounds...disgusting. Worse than what I've heard about Ryanair.

Third, Spirit has LCC competition to the destinations it wants to serve...or close anyway. WN/FL and F9 fly DEN-MDW and DEN-MKE for Chicagoland, FL and F9 fly to ATL, WN and F9 fly to FLL, F9 flies to DFW and both F9 and WN fly to LAS. Spirit is going to have to try really hard to skim traffic "off the bottom" for any of those flights, particularly since F9's costs aren't that much higher than Spirit's.

I give this base of operations three months from the time planes start flying until when Spirit pulls out of the market. Yes it's a big market, but F9 is going to fight tooth and nail to keep their routes and IMO people won't be willing to lose three inches of legroom and their carryon for a $20 discount. Particularly if they have to fly a redeye.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by iansltx
Second, the FLL flight that I looked at (which is definitely a steal, if you're okay with sticking with Spirit's atrocious seat pitch for four hours) was a redeye DEN-FLL and a late evening FLL-DEN. Good for aircraft utilization, sure, but Spirit can forget about filling planes after people fly them once. Sitting in a plane overnight with no recline and no legroom sounds...disgusting. Worse than what I've heard about Ryanair.
The cruise segment is a forgiving bunch, especially if it allows them to get to FLL in time for early embarkation without having to miss a vacation day from work.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NK will operated in entire concourse A and the gates number is A39. I think they have enough more gate space available in entire concourse A. It will get more tight space.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by frugal_flyer
Starting in May, Spirit will be flying to Denver nonstop from Chicago, Fort Lauderdale, Dallas/Fort Worth, and Las Vegas. Certain dates in May will yield $58 roundtrips.

I thought Denver was supposed to be an expensive airport to operate of? Of course, so is ORD and LGA, but New York and Chicago are more important cities, too.

I am glad that Spirit is expanding; I just hope that they aren't doing so too fast...
$58 ai?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

There is still some availability for $58 roundtrips between LAS and DEN, but virtually nothing left at that price for the other 3 cities.

The fares were only good on limited dates for each market, but, hey... I wouldn't mind a Monday to Thursday trip for that price...

Too bad I don't live in one of the aforementioned markets; I would take the trip just because the price was right and I've always wanted to see Denver.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
$58 ai?
Yes, only one-way ticket.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:40 pm

Another new destination city will be announced shortly...so you all will have another chance to grab the sales!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by HRDiva
Another new destination city will be announced shortly...so you all will have another chance to grab the sales!
And the R space.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by HRDiva
My guess is MSP, there is some talk in the Delta forums about a new low cost carrier coming to Minneapolis and an article in the local paper is also pointing to Spirit.

http://www.startribune.com/local/140589983.html
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: PC Plat.
yep spirit is comong to MSP in June

yep spirit is coming to MSP in June to ORD and LAS
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by afish
yep spirit is coming to MSP in June to ORD and LAS
Actually, those date will goes on effective May 31, 2012 and not June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.