Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:11 pm

Has anyone ever tried to get a flight the day of at the airport?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:30 pm

works!

Yep, worked for me today. Saved $101.64

I live next door to O'Hare, so ran over after picking Ms. Stuffy up from school. Parked for $2.
ORD-LGA RT (3 tickets)
Online Standard Fare total: $593.64
Ticket Counter total: $492.00

Took 17 minutes from getting parking ticket on the way in, to paying parking ticket on the way out. My daughter timed me.

While I was there, I even checked prices on a couple other flights. Agent was super fast.

Mr. Stuffy will be happy to learn about this little tip.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
How do you calculate how much you would save ahead of time? I'm looking at LGA-FLL tix. I'll be at LGA for another flight soon, so I could just get them then. Prices for weekend trips seem to be $220-250. What would the price be at the airport?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
How do you calculate how much you would save ahead of time? I'm looking at LGA-FLL tix. I'll be at LGA for another flight soon, so I could just get them then. Prices for weekend trips seem to be $220-250. What would the price be at the airport?
Its about $16.99 per ticket one way, the taxes coming off make it a little bit more. Its listed as passenger usage fee, if you do a dummy booking
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by beachbrew
Its about $16.99 per ticket one way, the taxes coming off make it a little bit more. Its listed as passenger usage fee, if you do a dummy booking
Thank you. Sounds like it would be $30-35 off the round trips I'm looking at.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:14 pm

I recently flew Spirit for the first time and had a decent flight, so thought to book them again for a fall trip. The little tag line ("Lower fares generally available at the airport.") at the bottom of their website had me curious. Did a quick google search, found this forum, found this thread.

It seems strange to offer lower fares at the airport, considering the man power and time it takes versus online. Last night, went to book online, and was going to purchase the $9 FC membership to take advantage of their sales. Problem was, I was basing my comparative calculation on 1 fare. By the time I punched in 5 fares, there were no more special $9FC prices. Since husband works close to the airport, asked him to pop in to check on airport prices. I'm shocked at the difference. I shouldn't be, based on this thread, but still, I don't get it. Anyway, got our tickets and a big thanks to this thread for saving us $180.

Here's the comparison:

$9 Fare Club
$81.49 (to) - but couldn't get this price anymore, anyways
$123.99 (from)
$205.48 (total)

Standard Fare
$121.49 (to)
$152.99 (from)
$274.48 (total)

At Airport
$91.87 (to)
$102.67 (from)
$194.54 (total)

I asked my husband if there was a line. He said, "No, but I sure created a line-up."

Will probably end up buying the $9FC anyway, to save on bags. But definitely not needed for the flights!
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:55 pm

Saved big yesterday by buying at IAH airport. Actually was going to buy to save on $16.99 online fee for my family of 5 & saved a little more more. Flight online $9 club was $38 each way & I got it with NO $9 club for $28. $100 savings plus round trip plus NO $16.99 fee.

Lady at the counter initially said that I would save more by booking online then when she saw the price she actually called over two attendants to show the DEAL I was getting.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:00 pm

DTW Spirit Ticket Counter

Planning on heading to Detroit Metro tomorrow morning. I know that Spirit is in the North terminal, so do I purchase tickets in the same area that I would check in? Sorry, never bought tickets at the airport before and looking to cash in on the $17/ticket minimum savings.

thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:41 pm

You go to where Spirit has their check-in and ask the agent for purchasing your ticket. You'll save $33.98 on a roundtrip or $16.99 one way. I do it all the time.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:39 am

I ended up saving more than the Passenger Usage Fee by buying at the counter! DFW-SJD next week. Online the standard fare was totaling out at about $350.56, and by driving out to DFW I ended up paying only $286.20!

Particularly amazing because it's an international flight (low season, though) within 14 days of departure. The next closest price was on AA for $781! I'd call that major score!

A little nervous about my first Spirit flight because of all of the negativity, but honestly: it's non-stop, so delays shouldn't affect me too much if they occur, and I'm traveling to my house down there where I keep clothes and toiletries and stuff, so packing light shouldn't be a problem at all...I don't plan on checking or carrying on anything other than my "personal item"--a small soft-sided duffle that will easily compact down under the seat when shoved.

The only upgrade I'm considering is switching my seat for a Big Front Seat, which is $50 each way. Thoughts? Recommendations?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:10 pm

Saved big at the airport!

Thank you everyone in this forum for your posts. Managed to save big on return flights for three of us by booking at Fort Lauderdale (FLL) airport. Took exactly half an hour for purchasing the tickets; mainly because they were 3 separate reservations, however the parking charge came up to only $2; well worth it considering that I managed to save $101.94 (user fee of $16.99 X 6) when compared to the Standard fare online. I am not enrolled in the $9 Fare club and I was only saving $5 per ticket anyway on the Standard fare. I guess I must have spent gas worth of $5 to drive to the airport.

Here are the details of the savings.

This is for onward (Ticket prices at the airport and the Standard fare below that):

And this is return:

Last edited by Sam Martin; Aug 10, 2014 at 4:19 pm Reason: Correcting the links
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:49 am

I know that you can't get the $9 fare club pricing at the airport but does anyone know if you can use promo codes at the airport? Also, can you book flight plus hotels deals at the airport?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:11 pm

i bought tickets at the counter. I did not compare the cost.I was passing by the counter and thought i will just buy it there since i remember reading it somewhere that it was cheaper to buy at airport.
But when i got home and saw the details of the booking, the agent got our seats selected. do we get charged for it by them? because online, i am sure there is a fee for that.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by mrahul
i bought tickets at the counter. I did not compare the cost.I was passing by the counter and thought i will just buy it there since i remember reading it somewhere that it was cheaper to buy at airport.
But when i got home and saw the details of the booking, the agent got our seats selected. do we get charged for it by them? because online, i am sure there is a fee for that.
While its possible that the agent may have charged you I would doubt it. Every time I have bought tickets at the airport the agent has assigned me seats with whoever I was flying with free of charge. I would just compare the price online with the price you paid and then you'll know whether or not they charged you. It may also be itemized on the receipt they give you but I'm not sure since I've never paid for them.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by pieperjm88
Every time I have bought tickets at the airport the agent has assigned me seats with whoever I was flying with free of charge.
Hm, would that work for exit row seats?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.