Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Weird off-topic factoid of the day: Spirit is, as far as I know, the only airline I've ever flown that forces me to join their FFP. I tried to check in my wife the other day...and I couldn't find any way around it, not even to get a randomly-assigned BP.

I mean, not that any Flyertalkers would object, but I just found it amusing that of all airlines in this world, *this* happens to be the one that really, really wants me to earn miles on my $16 flight to Detroit.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
LOL... For kicks, I applied a coupon from one of my recent emails to a random trip I'd theoretically take on Spirit.

The coupon reduced the online-purchase cost from $34.10 to $34.09.
Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
A penny saved is a penny earned.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:55 am

Just purchased round trip ticket for 3 people today. 3/8 ACY to MCO & 3/16 MCO to ACY. Online price was $39.09 each way and price at the counter in ACY was $14.11 each way. Worked out nice, $234.54 online total vs $84.66 at the counter, saved $149.88 just for driving there.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by brettneese
I want to buy a flight for a friend from LGA-ORD, but he is nowhere near LGA as he goes to school at Yale. Can I go to ORD and do it for him? What information would they need?

(It sounds like I can but I want to make sure before I go all the way there.)
Yes. They'll need his full name (first, middle, last) and his date of birth.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:36 pm

I stopped by the Atlantic City airport today on my way home from work and there was a line of about four or five people in front of me, all buying tickets for future flights. I waited about 10-15 minutes and saved $144.00 on four tickets to Orlando. ^^^
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:39 pm

flying tomorrow, bought my ticket a few weeks ago at FLL (MCO-FLL routing)

I see at the bottom: "Other Passenger Charges", is that the "Segment Fee" (as listed under Government's Cut) online?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NJTrucker
Online price was $39.09 each way and price at the counter in ACY was $14.11 each way
Awesome! Was the base fare $-2.00 or so? My $16 segments often have a $-0.26 base fare. (Of course, of the $16 Spirit gets about $10 and the government gets around $6...it's just some silly-named fees...)
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:39 pm

Here's the fare breakdown:
Class of service: N
One way fare: $0.01
Taxes: $0.00
Security Fees: $5.60
Psgr Facility Charge: $4.50
Other Taxes: $0.00
Other Psgr Charges: $4.00
Total Cost: $14.11
Old Mar 5, 2016, 5:22 pm

Hi guys, I can also confirm this. Last Saturday I went down to PHL via SEPTA and saved about $20 for a flight between BWI-DFW for April 2nd. The online fare for last weekend was $53 and change. My breakdown from the receipt:

Total Fare: 17.53
Total Taxes: 1.47
Total Security Fee(s): 5.60
Total Psgr Facility Charge: 4.50
Total Other Taxes/Fees: 0.00
Other Charges: 6.00

Total Cost: 35.10
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Marv95
Hi guys, I can also confirm this. Last Saturday I went down to PHL via SEPTA and saved about $20 for a flight between BWI-DFW for April 2nd. The online fare for last weekend was $53 and change. My breakdown from the receipt:

Total Fare: 17.53
Total Taxes: 1.47
Total Security Fee(s): 5.60
Total Psgr Facility Charge: 4.50
Total Other Taxes/Fees: 0.00
Other Charges: 6.00

Total Cost: 35.10
Marv95

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:50 am

Generally, my Spirit in-airport purchases are when I'm already there for an AA flight. (Their gates are next to each other at MCI.) Only times I've driven out there and spent 30-45 minutes of total time to do it was when I needed to buy 4+ seats.

Isn't a SEPTA ticket to PHL something like 8 bucks and 30 minutes each way?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:21 pm

Anyone have recent experience buying at the counter at ORD? random comment on a DD thread said that at some (unnamed) airport, you could only buy tickets at the counter between 8-4:30. Would be interested to know if thats true, and any other tips for buying at ORD.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by grizzam
random comment on a DD thread said that at some (unnamed) airport, you could only buy tickets at the counter between 8-4:30.
That's true at ACY. However, I have purchased tickets at ATL and MCO, and I know they sell tickets to about 10:30pm or so. I don't know about ORD, but I assume it has longer hours like ATL and MCO.

What's annoying is that if I call Spirit, none of the agents know when the airport ticket sales hours are available.

It's $2 to park for an hour at ACY and more at bigger airports generally.

One issue about buying tickets at the airport is that it doesn't qualify for the reduced bag fee prices that one gets when buying bags with a ticket. Typically that can be $5 difference. Also one can't buy the Flight Flex since that's only for sale online.

But it's generally still cheaper to buy at the airport, one can get low fares without a club membership.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:26 am

At MCI, it's a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours at night. Their website hours of operation page is never up to date, so you pretty much have to look at their current schedule and estimate when the counter will be open based on that.

In the morning, the Vegas flight arrives and departs for Detroit. In the afternoon, a flight arrives from LA and turns around and goes back to LA. Then the Detroit flight arrives and heads onward to Vegas. If you want to buy a ticket, show up about 2 hours prior to one of those - before people start checking in for the flights. No separate queue for ticket-buying.

For a couple of my past buys, I've arrived on American at around 4PM and gotten to the Spirit counter (in the same place with American) right as it's opening up to start handling the LA flight.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Hours for IAH

Anyone know the hours for the ticket counter at IAH? Thinking of going today since it's a Sunday but I don't know when they do sales. The website https://customersupport.spirit.com/h...inal-Locations says 4:15 PM to 10:30 PM which struck me as a little strange. Also, it's Easter.

Edit: Just want to say that I got back from IAH (arrived there around 6 PM) and got my RT tickets to Oakland for $110 vs $146 online. There was basically no line, in and out in under 15 minutes and didn't even get charged for parking at Terminal A. Breakdown goes:

Total Fare: $72.28
Total Taxes: $5.72
Total Security Fees: $11.20
Total Passenger Facility Charge: $9
Total Other Taxes/Fees: $0
Other Charges: $12
Total Cost: $110.20

Checking bags is $35 each way though, so you only really save like $26 by driving to the airport if you plan to check a bag. Gas was probably $4 and parking was supposed to be $3 for 0-1 hours but I didn't get charged. Probably wouldn't do it again since it took like an hour and a half, unless the airport was along the way.

Last edited by raycosm; Mar 27, 2016 at 6:02 pm Reason: Report back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.