Clipper Club Question

Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Clipper Club Question

I'm not quite sure where this question belongs. There doesn't seem to be a Clipper Club section.

I have a question about a map that has been in the family for a long time. It was given to my great grandfather and has the following inscription:

Be it Witnessed and Known
The Clipper travel plotted on this map of the world is that flown by
Wilford L. B_______
Distinguished Member of the Pan American Clipper Club

Is there anyone that remembers the days of the Clipper Club who can tell me something about this map?

The picture is too large to post on FT. It can be found here.

Thanks!

Last edited by TheManofaThousandPlaces; Nov 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
I'm not quite sure where this question belongs. There doesn't seem to be a Clipper Club section.

I have a question about a map that has been in the family for a long time. It was given to my great grandfather and has the following inscription:

Be it Witnessed and Known
The Clipper travel plotted on this map of the world is that flown by
Wilford L. B_______
Distinguished Member of the Pan American Clipper Club

Is there anyone that remembers the days of the Clipper Club who can tell me something about this map?

The picture is too large to post on FT. It can be found here.

Thanks!
I tried to estimate the year when the map was printed by looking up the names of the countries and colonies shown. My guess it was printed between 1947 to 1959.

- No flights to Russia sounds like the cold war that started in 1946
- Korea is not shown divided and that happened in 1947

- There are flights from Miami to Havana and Camagüey in Cuba, perhaps it's from earlier than the 1960s, the year when the trade embargo started. I'm not sure when the airlines stopped flying Cuba though.
- Belgian Congo is shown on the map, it ceased to exist in the 1960s].
- There are no flights to Brasilia, the capital of Brasil founded in the 1961.

I would never have imagined an American airline flying this route: Damascus, Syria -> Theran, Iran -> Karachi, Pakistan
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:07 pm

- deleted -

Last edited by Clipper801; Nov 8, 2011 at 7:48 am Reason: Lack of response
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by higo
I tried to estimate the year when the map was printed by looking up the names of the countries and colonies shown. My guess it was printed between 1947 to 1959.

- No flights to Russia sounds like the cold war that started in 1946
- Korea is not shown divided and that happened in 1947

- There are flights from Miami to Havana and Camagüey in Cuba, perhaps it's from earlier than the 1960s, the year when the trade embargo started. I'm not sure when the airlines stopped flying Cuba though.
- Belgian Congo is shown on the map, it ceased to exist in the 1960s].
- There are no flights to Brasilia, the capital of Brasil founded in the 1961.

I would never have imagined an American airline flying this route: Damascus, Syria -> Theran, Iran -> Karachi, Pakistan
Great observations! Thanks for taking a look!

Anyone know about the Clipper Club organization?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
Great observations! Thanks for taking a look!

Anyone know about the Clipper Club organization?
Clipper Club was something similar to UA's RCC and AA's Admiral Club for members to relax while waiting for their Pan Am flight. This was before lounge access was generally granted to first and business class passengers. In the 1970's, access to the Clipper Club was restricted to members only, not even if you're flying first class. There was no formal business class back then but PA was amongst the first to introduce a dedicated cabin for its frequent flyers which later became Clipper Class, the forerunner of today's business class. B747 in those days were 9-abreast seating in economy, 3x4x2. The Clipper Class cabin was amongst the first to retrofit to 3x4x3 configuration but the next seat was always blocked. The middle seat in the 3-seater had a fold down tray table. Seat pitch must be about 35~37". The upstairs lounge was reserved for first class passengers and used as a dinning lounge during meal time. So, yes, it was quite "civilised" comparing to today when the FA came around to tell you that dinner was ready to be served at the lounge upstairs. You did not eat at your seat. Those were the good old days!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Wow! Those do sound like the good old days.

Any idea how many Clipper Club lounges there were? Are there any good sites that document the "glory days" of air travel when PanAm ruled the skies?

I wouldn't mind finding some vintage Clipper Club luggage tags or a lapel pin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.