How Allegiant does things

Old Jun 21, 11, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

How Allegiant does things

I looked for this information before flying Allegiant and couldn't find it, so based on my flight, here's some info. First, when buying a ticket online be careful to unselect all the many extras that the process adds on if don't reject them. The only extra you may really want is Assigned Seating, which enables you to check in online and preprint your boarding pass. It is not nessary to buy Priority Boarding also. With Assigned Seating you will be in an early boarding group anyway, no problem with overhead bin space. If you are late and don't board early with the Assigned Seating group, you lose it. Once General Boarding starts anybody can sit anywhere they like. On my flight at least, Allegiant did not preemptively gate check bags that would obviously not fit in the overhead. They let everybody board and only then took those bags off the plane. Unlike most regional jets, those bags were not unloaded plane side, they went to baggage claim. The gate checked bags were not charged checked baggage fees. There is nothing free served, not even water. A Coke is $2, not bad compared to buying it from an airport store. Since Allegiant flights are short and they serve city pairs that otherwise do not have non stop service, they provide a useful, reliable, low cost service
in a utilitarian, no frills style.

Last edited by Tizzette; Jun 28, 11 at 10:30 am Reason: iPad errors
Old Jun 26, 11, 10:38 pm

Allegiant

I flew Allegiant for the first time in June. I am not a frequent flier, but usually fly via American Airlines.

Allegiant was okay. Be aware of the many varied fees they charge. We did pay the extra $$$ for priority boarding & seat selections, primarily because we were traveling with a child and did not want to be separated. Even after all the extra fees, our round trip tickets were about $230 each, which was at least $130 less (each) than all other options available to us at the time.
We did not check any bags. I did see several oversized bags that were put in the overhead bins. One was so large that the person had to have assistance to get it out upon arrival. Also at our original departure airport, the check-in agents were offering to check bags at no charge. The plane had leather seats. I did not visit the restroom. I did pay $2 for a soda. I would certainly use allegiant again if the price is considerably lower. I would not pay for priority boarding again. There were still lots of seats available when the open-boarding began. Our flight was full eventually.
Old Jun 27, 11, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

As far as offering to check bags for free, this would only happen if you go to the Ticketing Counter to get your boarding pass or check bags that are too large for carry-on. It is only your carry-on size bags that you did not intend to check that would be eligible for free checking. You still have to pay for the larger bags.

Usually on other airlines' regional jets, at the gate or on the boarding chute there is an agent doing some gate checking because RJ's smaller bins will not accept some carryons even though of legal dimensions, or the flight is so full it's obvious the bins won't hold it all. Allegiant didn't do any gate checking. Pax carried on a few bags that wouldn't fit and had to be offloaded after everybody was seated. The point is, don't count on the gate checking option with Allegiant.
Old Jun 27, 11, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Allegiant doesn't fly regional jets. They fly MD-8x series narrowbody jets.

They are smaller than, say, 757s, but they are still considered mainline planes.
Old Jul 31, 11, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL (former NWA) PM
Free Checked Bags on Allegiant

I have flown Allegiant many times, if the flight is looking very full and a lot of the passengers have purchased the pre-boarding the ticket counter will offer a free checked bag to those passengers that have purchased the pre-boarding option. I was on a flight to Las Vegas once where 90% of the passengers purchased this option and they didn't have room for all of the luggage, an on-time departure nightmare. So I think they are being proactive about this in situations where people have already paid the pre-boarding fee to make sure their bags go in the overhead (that is how Allegiant markets that additional product).

Note that Allegiant flies the mainline MD-80 series aircraft, the bins are smaller than most aircraft as they are not the extended bins, and on the two-some seating on the port side of the aircraft the bins are even smaller. Most of the Allegiant aircraft (MD-81/82/83/88) are now outfitted with 150 seats, but the planes are being reconfigured to 166 seats by removing the rear galley. This will likely cause more issues with carry on luggage since you are adding seats, but not adding overhead bins (the galley is currently next to the rear door exit and bins cannot be added above.) Allegiant also flies the MD-87 aircraft out of Florida, this aircraft has only 130 seats, and will not be reconfigured, rather withdrawn from service for parts for their existing fleet once Allegiant takes delivery of more second hand MD-83 aircraft.

Note that if you do purchase a seat assignment or preboarding on Allegiant, make sure you board the aircraft on-time, as once the "open seating" boarding occurs your seat can be occupied by a pax that didn't opt for the travel options.
Old Aug 5, 11, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
I have flow Allegiant several times in the past, but remember a change in how they hand out boarding cards for those that don't pay for assigned seats. When my wife & I flew to Vegas, we checked in kind of late, so ended up with some of the last boarding passes, which was fine for us. Now, we are looking at booking with kids. I hate paying for extras & our kids are old enough (8 & 10) to sit by themselves if they have to. My question is do they make any attempt to get familes with kids together if we don't pay for the seats? I am thinking I will just take my chances, but would appreciate any first hand experience before we show up.
Old Aug 5, 11, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Ksucats, we bought the Assigned Seating because of traveling with kids. I don't like extras either, but we didn't want a hassle over sitting with the kids since flying is something special to them and it is great to be able to share that. We did not pay the additional cost of Priority Boarding and that worked out just fine. Those who paid for both board in the first group, next are those who only paid for Assigned Seating, and the third group is general boarding.

The savvy seemed to have selected assigned seats in the back because the back rows are called first and that gives them first crack at the bin space.
Old Aug 5, 11, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by Tizzette View Post
Ksucats, we bought the Assigned Seating because of traveling with kids. I don't like extras either, but we didn't want a hassle over sitting with the kids since flying is something special to them and it is great to be able to share that. We did not pay the additional cost of Priority Boarding and that worked out just fine. Those who paid for both board in the first group, next are those who only paid for Assigned Seating, and the third group is general boarding.

The savvy seemed to have selected assigned seats in the back because the back rows are called first and that gives them first crack at the bin space.
Thanks. I didn't know if they gave families with assigned seats priority to those that weren't traveling with kids. It doesn't sound like they do. My kids have been spoiled & probably already taken 20 round trip flights in the past 6 years, so it isn't as special for them any more. Other than one previous trip on allegiant, all other trips have been on airlines where I have status, so seating has never been an issue (mutliple times we have been given opups to first, so they are really spoiled). The previous trip on allegiant was a year and a half ago & we were given assigned seats in the front row without paying for it. Of course they were a little younger & allegiant's policies have changed. I will probably roll the dice. They can entertain themselves with their DS or ipads & would barely even notice it.
Old Aug 6, 11, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago View Post
Allegiant doesn't fly regional jets. They fly MD-8x series narrowbody jets.

They are smaller than, say, 757s, but they are still considered mainline planes.
Actually, it is MD-81/2/3/7/8 and 757 aircraft, too. Right, G4 does not have regional jet or any other aircraft, too.
Old Aug 16, 11, 7:38 pm

Does Allegiant follow the Spirit approach with high density seat configuration, i.e packing pax in like sardines?
Old Aug 17, 11, 10:19 am
Original Poster

The seats are leather and spacing is typical coach, not more squeezed in than usual. Comfortable for the length of Allegiant flights.
Old Aug 17, 11, 2:45 pm

I flew allegiant recently and they have families with kids board before everyone else without assigned seats. I paid for a checked bag and even then I found the flight to be very cheap but I didn't pay for assigned seating.
Old Aug 19, 11, 6:25 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Mbr; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by Tizzette View Post
The seats are leather and spacing is typical coach, not more squeezed in than usual. Comfortable for the length of Allegiant flights.
We flew G4 GSP-SFB a couple yrs ago, and we found the seating to be roomier than any other coach product we could think of. Part of that might be that instead of the "magazine" pocket on the seatbacks being at knee level, they put them at the top of the seatback, giving more knee/leg room. We thoroughly enjoyed our (admittedly short) flight!
Old Feb 17, 17, 8:59 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Most the posts here are dated.

Since I am considering Allegiant for upcoming trip, I would like to know if there is a workaround with buying a "better" seat could produce a type of priority in boarding and thus allow a carryon to go on without added fee.

Anyone with more recent travel that would care to pontificate, even with critical remarks? Thanks for reading.
Old Feb 18, 17, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Allegiant now charges for 20-22" bags brought on board, as well as charging for checked baggage. Your boarding pass will say Carry On if you have paid. Only a "personal item" size carryon is free - something small enough to fit under the seat. On my two full flights two weeks ago, people who had not paid for priority boarding were still finding enough bin space for their 22" bags.

Search this Thread