Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexicana Files For Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
The reward program is a different company, however they depend on the same holding.

The holding is now announcing (as pressure) they will also file chapter 11 for MexicanaClick and MexicanaLink.

If that happens, MexicanaGO will not last. Even if that does not happen, will Oneworld continue its relationship with MexicanaGO?

I'd say burn the points ASAP.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:29 pm

[QUOTE=leandrorar;14475491

If that happens, MexicanaGO will not last. Even if that does not happen, will Oneworld continue its relationship with MexicanaGO?

I'd say burn the points ASAP.[/QUOTE]

I don't think OneWorld will continue for ever but maybe for some weeks or months after the company closes.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: OnePass
I just got off the phone with MexicanaGo and the phone rep said they have suspended any "movement" of points. That means no airline rewards, no point transfers to hotel, no possibility to do anything with my miles.

The rep didn't mention the suspension until after he looked up my account, so maybe it is only certain types of accounts. If anyone gets different information, would appreciate hearing about it.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:24 pm

Just called MexicanaGO and got the same info....no transfer of points nor booking of rewards with partners this month. They said check back in September.....You know what that means......Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
It looks like Mexicana removed the link to it's Frecuenta webpage. I still have not been able to see if my Frecuenta miles for a hotel stay a month ago were deposited into my account. I hope Mexicana can survive. I would hate to lose my Go points and Frecuenta miles.

Last edited by Open Jaw; Aug 17, 2010 at 9:23 pm
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:43 pm

They said that you could transfer points into HH program if you want to still. This was via online chat with a rep. Also said that award travel with other carriers through One World was suspended through this month but will be back up in September. We'll see.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:34 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by jiml1126
The report of MX resuming international ticket sales partially is now in jeopardy as the airline announced IATA is suspending MX's BSP.

This means, including MexicanaClick and MexicanaLink will not be able to sell and issue tickets.

http://cmainforma.com/cma-informs/
Any guesses how long MexicanaClick/Link will be operating? Have a trip coming up in Sept for which I was hoping to book a domestic hop on Click. Called reservations today and was told the only way to ticket a reservation on Click is at the airport, or to put the reservation on a 48 hour hold by phone and make a cash payment via Western Union.

The domestic operations won't stay in business long if they can't sell tickets.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:49 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Apologies if this has already been posted ( I did a quick check of the thread and couldn't see it )

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...yments-in.html

Mexican airport operator OMA has given Mexicana and its affiliates notice that advance payments for passenger charges will be necessary beginning 21 August.

OMA states that Mexicana and its subsidiaries Click and Link, which are not included in the mainline carrier's restructuring, will either need to pay departure charges for passengers in advance or ask passengers to make payments directly to the airport prior to boarding. .........Groupo Mexicana currently operates at the following OMA airports: Acapulco, Chihuahua, Culiacan, Durango, Mazatlan, Monterrey, Reynosa, Tampico, Torreon, and Zihuatanejo.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Lost Cause

Originally Posted by anc red-eye
the only way to ticket a reservation on click is at the airport, or to put the reservation on a 48 hour hold by phone and make a cash payment via western union.

The domestic operations won't stay in business long if they can't sell tickets.
Don't even think about making a cash payment
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:45 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
Don't even think about making a cash payment
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. They said they did not have the ability to take other forms of payment at the call center...to which I asked if there was any chance the carrier would even exist in September. I actually just wanted to see what the fare was - I was already too apprehensive to consider booking in the short term.

Bummer, because MexicanaClick was 1/2 the price of Aeromexico on the routes we needed.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:00 pm

If it's going to exist until September I would say 65% yes
Why?
Well because this week is going to be the week where all the planes or most of the planes are going to be full because the vacations are over, so I imagine that will let MX be alive some weeks more and probably because of the 16th September which is like the 4th of July only that this year is the 200th anniversary, this might help MX to stay most of September and then they might close in October as the next vacations are two months after.

Also something very curious their magazine Vuelo is publishing their 200th edition in September what a coincidence. Let's hope that MX will at least exist one month more!!!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Possible investor to take stake in Mexicana

Mexican press is reporting that Advent - and investment fund is a potential investor in Mexicana. The pilots union is agreeable to their participation and the current shareholders would be wiped out. The news say they would invest $49 million US.

Here is a link to one of the sites reporting this: http://www.radioformula.com.mx/notas.asp?Idn=126425

The www.reforma.com is also reporting this - but requires online subscription.

The story is in spanish.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:32 pm

I just think they mad a stupid choice to do that. Mexicana will still be in bankrupt just for more months. Im sure it will help some people that already bought tickets for the next what?... 2 to 3 months (maybe).
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:51 am

More cancellation of flights over the next few days pending an annoucement.

From the press release...

Mexico City, August 17, 2010. As part of the temporary phasing out of flights announced by Grupo Mexicana on Sunday, August 8, flights operated by all three of the group’s airlines will be subject to changes as of midnight, Wednesday, August 18.

Please note that no destinations will be canceled as a result of the changes scheduled to come into effect tomorrow, although fewer flights will be available on certain routes.

See www.mexicana.com

Doesnt sound good
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by mel.b
More cancellation of flights over the next few days pending an annoucement.

From the press release...

Mexico City, August 17, 2010. As part of the temporary phasing out of flights announced by Grupo Mexicana on Sunday, August 8, flights operated by all three of the group’s airlines will be subject to changes as of midnight, Wednesday, August 18.

Please note that no destinations will be canceled as a result of the changes scheduled to come into effect tomorrow, although fewer flights will be available on certain routes.

See www.mexicana.com

Doesnt sound good
More flight suspensions announced - see the announcement at www.mexicana.com. Looks like a number of intra-Mexico flights as well as MEX to Dallas, Miami and Las Vegas. The announcement notes these are temporary (at this time).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.