Wiki Posts
Search

MX and AM miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
MX and AM miles

I have some miles in MX and AM that are about to expire, and I don't want to lose these miles, any good advice on how to keep these miles from expiring (Besides flying), or any good ratio transfer to an other airline/hotel???

Thanks,
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by marubill
I have some miles in MX and AM that are about to expire, and I don't want to lose these miles, any good advice on how to keep these miles from expiring (Besides flying), or any good ratio transfer to an other airline/hotel???

Thanks,
IMHO, there are no good transfer rates for the number miles or points earned.

I would do the following to keep my accounts active:

MX
Since MX has both Frecuenta miles and MexicanaGo points, you may have to do two ativities so that you will not loose any points or miles. To earn MexicanaGO points, I would stay at a hotel for a night with that someone special. To earn Frecuenta miles, I would rent a car for one day with Avis or Hertz. Remember Hertz rentals in the US only earn Frecuenta miles and NOT GO points.

AM
For AM I would rent a car or do another hotel stay.

Good luck.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: OnePass
From browsing Mexicana's GO site, it appears that any Avis car rental can be credited (not just Mexico rentals as with Hertz).

Also, there's a shopping program partner named Artisumo that has a free sign-up with a 50 GO point bonus. Perhaps that could work to extend the expiration date on your miles, but I can't read spanish so I don't know if signing up will obligate you to anything.

Another idea: you can transfer points to Frecuenta, and then back to GO. You'll lose 500 points in the process, but it might be worth it to keep your points alive. I haven't tried it, but it seems there's a chance it might work.

Let me know if any of these ideas work so I can use them when my points approach expiration
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by anthonyanthony
From browsing Mexicana's GO site, it appears that any Avis car rental can be credited (not just Mexico rentals as with Hertz).

Also, there's a shopping program partner named Artisumo that has a free sign-up with a 50 GO point bonus. Perhaps that could work to extend the expiration date on your miles, but I can't read spanish so I don't know if signing up will obligate you to anything.

Another idea: you can transfer points to Frecuenta, and then back to GO. You'll lose 500 points in the process, but it might be worth it to keep your points alive. I haven't tried it, but it seems there's a chance it might work.

Let me know if any of these ideas work so I can use them when my points approach expiration
Anthony,

A couple of weeks ago I saw that Avis rantals could earn MexicanaGo points but it was not clear if the rentals had to take place in Mexico or not. I even checked the English webpage and it still wasn't clear. I just reread the webpage in both languages and you are right! Avis rentals now earn MexicanaGo points only. Avis is not even listed as partner of Frecuenta anymore.

BTW, Hertz rentals in the US earn only Frecuenta miles while rentals in Mexico with Hertz/Avisa earn MexicanaGO points.

I also signed up for free with Artisumo and now await the points earned for registration. After signing up, I entered the Mi Cuenta page to see if my login worked and all went well. I just had to add my birhdate and my sex to complete the process. I did not have to add my home address nor my telephone numbers even though there were spaces for that info.

Now I just have to wait for my 50 bonus points to be deposited. That should keep my account active. We'll see.

Finally, if someone transfers 1000 Frecuenta miles for 500 MexicanaGo points, they really do not loose them because the number of points needed for an award ticket is less. If someone transfers 1000 Go points for 1000 Frecuenta miles, they do not gain anything either because Frecuenta award tickets require higher miles.

For example:

A RT flight in coach from the US to Mexico requires 50,000 Frecuenta miles or 30,000 MexicanaGo points.

If someone does not want to "lose" any miles, they just have to transfer their Go points to Frecuenta miles before redeeming them. The only downside is that all Frecuenta redemptions are required to be done by phone which is not free.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: OnePass
In my case, I transferred all my miles to GO in September 09 during the 1 to 1 transfer ratio promotion, leaving me with a 0 balance in Frecuenta.

So I was thinking that, if I haven't had any activity in my account by next year, I'd transfer 1000 GO miles to Frecuenta to count as activity. Hopefully it will count, if anybody has any experience with this please let us know.

Then, if I need to redeem in GO, I could transfer back to GO at the 2:1 ratio (losing 500 miles), or if Frecuenta has the award I want, transfer more points there (keeping in mind that Frecuenta has a fee for redemptions, and weighing that against GO's option to purchase 1000 miles for $25).

Of course, if the Artisumo bonus counts as activity, then that will be the way to go. Since Artisumo is in Spanish, I'll have to run the Artisumo sign-up pages through the web translator. Hopefully it won't be too tricky
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Thank you for the advice, I've signed up to the Artisumo, and will let you know once I receive the GO points.
I called Mexicana GO a couple of weeks ago and asked about the activity, and they told me any GO points counts as activity, it doesn't have to be flights, so the Artisumo points should count as activity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.